walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Route advice pls: easterly descent from Stob Daimh

Route advice pls: easterly descent from Stob Daimh

Postby riverlodge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:41 pm

Looking to add Stob Daimh to Eunaich and Chochuil, and appreciate any experience of easterly ridges - Sron Isean ridge or the ESE ridge from the top south of Stob Garth (I do know it'll be a bog fest at the bottom whichever :roll:)

Ta for any knowledge / informed advice!
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Re: Route advice pls: easterly descent from Stob Daimh

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Both are straightforward with some reasonable traces of paths (if I recall correctly) and nothing too boggy at the bottom. The Sron an Isean ridge is marginally more scenic but since presumably you'll be coming over Sron an Isean itself from Chochuill, it might feel more logical take the other one. I don't think the footbridge marked on the 1:25k map at NN118296 exists, but the ones at NN120295 and NN127297 are real!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby riverlodge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Perfect. Thanks jmarkb :)
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:54 pm

See my report below. The route was up the Sron an Isean ridge and down the Stob Garbh ridge, both were good. I think there may be more of a path on the Isean ridge if that matters, probably not!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19600

Enjoy it, and give us a report?!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby weedavie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Lots of ways to do this. My favourite with a car would also use the train. Park at Cruachan and take the 9.28 back to Lochawe. It's about a 2k walk back to Castles Farm and the standard route to Beinn Eunaich. On to Beinn a'Chochuill and then descend pretty much direct to the Lairig Noe. It's steep but not a scramble and slightly easier to the left of the ridge.

Sron an Isean looks forbidding but isn't, even in winter. You're best tending to the right as you go up but there are a few options.

Stob Diamh has a well worn path up it then take the trade route down to your car.

Doing it just by train, it's more fun reversing this because the Loch Awe Hotel does Fyne Ales by the bottle and you can sit on the balcony over Loch Awe and drink your beer. You hear the train coming a mile off and you can amble down to the platform.

Doing the circuit from Castles Farm is straightforward and not much bog. Descend from Stob Diamh over Sron an Isean down a broad ridge. The end has a section of crags but there's a pretty obvious break towards the left hand side. Cross the bridge (or the new pipe) over the burn and take the old quarry track back to the road.

A few times I've met people doing all four Munros, but I've never been able to work up the energy.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby riverlodge » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks ever so much all of you!
Plenty food for thought, and I'm pants when there are loads if options.... :roll:
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Postby GeoMogReacher » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Afternoon,

I've literally just done this on Saturday, having done all 4 in 8 hours, I started as close to the end of the walk as I could, in the lay by on the western side of the Allt Mhollie, at NN 13555 28769. Walked all along the road to just past the church of St Conan's Kirk and turned up the road that turned into the Scottish Power access track all the way to the dam.

The descent from Stob Daimh and Sron an Isean isn't horrendous, but more boggy half way towards the bealach at 546m that actually at 546m itself. You'll see east of the summit of Sron an Isean where the ridge line flattens out quite a lot and it was at this point where I turned north and descended towards 546m. Around NN 10130 31127.

The climb up Beinn a'Chochuill was steep but not impossible and as you get towards 850m there is a path that heads all the way to the summit at 980m.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
GeoMogReacher
Mountain Walker

Munros:69   Corbetts:5
Fionas:9   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion