walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

to man in green jacket in the Lakes

to man in green jacket in the Lakes

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 am

Wheezing up a hill in the Lakes recently whilst still suffering from a really bad chest infection some smug old fool passed me and said "there are easier hills you know if this is too difficult" and "do you know how to use that map?"- I was too gobsmacked to reply so if you are reading this you prat may I present my credentials of trails/mountain regions and coastal walks in the UK and abroad:

Cape Wrath; Sutherland; Offas Dyke; West Highland; Pembrokeshire Coastal; F Botha, Titsikama; Otters; Whale Trail, Blyde River Canyon, Spanish Pyrenees; North Cyprus, Brittany Lighthouse Route; the whole of the south coast of France; round the heel of Italy; north and west Sicily; backpacking the main mountains of Maderia; Skeleton Coast and middle section of Namibia Desert, led four trips to the Central Kalahari and Okavango Swamps; took a DofE group through the Drakensberg; own routes through North Iceland (feb); north Portugal Mountains to Sea; Southern coast of Sri Lanka

Own routes through the Orkney and adjoining islands; the 200 or so mountains/hills in the SMC North West Highlands guidebook; 20+ summits in the Cairngorms nearly all in winter; every summit on all the main Hebridean islands; all the main hills of Dumfries and Galloway and every major hill walking route in North Wales and the Brecons; Mountain Leader (summer) and working towards ML (winter).....

so ******** to you man in the green jacket and shiny gear NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST!
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Re: to man in green jacket in the Lakes

Postby al78 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:16 am

Why care about the judgemental opinion of someone who knows nothing about you?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:26 am

I normally tell such idiots to feck off, not a very witty reply, but it does the job
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Nah I guess I just needed to get it off my chest.....!

(I guess he thought my outdoor kit wasn't shiny enough - it does look a bit travel stained)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby nick70 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:15 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:Nah I guess I just needed to get it off my chest.....!

(I guess he thought my outdoor kit wasn't shiny enough - it does look a bit travel stained)

Fair do's for getting it off your chest. Your list of achievements are impressive. As someone previously wrote on here, 'sometimes the people we go to the hills to avoid are the one we end up bumping into'.

I'm kind of with Sack the Juggler here in regards how I would likely want to respond but probaly would just end up ignoring him.
nick70

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:37 pm

thanks Nick - it is a 40+ year list and I have a few more planned albeit a bit slower (don't go quietly into the night) so its Uzbekistan next May for a bit walk along the Silk Road.....and if I meet that oik over there I'll get a camel to spit at him - that'll larn him....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:26 pm

To the green jacket man my response may have included at least one expletive.
It did seem however to trigger off a big horn blowing session.
I am from an age when we didn't have cameras and fancy kit when 'going to the hills' so not too much in the way of recorded stuff to give memories of a long past trip on the hills. A diary and a note or to in the ancient now no longer available Munros tables....basically a slim book with information of where the hills were and very important for those who were hill goers the information of where to find a hotel to stay at night etc. The great unwashed stayed overnight in tents or in Bothies.
Personally I enjoy reading the illustrated accounts by the 'moderns' of their adventures into the hills. The memories of sixty years ago come to life again.
Would it not be be more useful to the Forum to have some Posts of your trips rather that than a Horn Concerto of places where your adventures took place perhaps?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm

you are right - I guess it was a fairly infantile post by me based I think on a sense of injustice that because I looked like a tramp and was wheezing that I could never be a shiny kitted modern go getter - maybe I should join the Ramblers (but not the walkers - the talkers!)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Feel free to come to Cockermouth next week where you can overtake us at your will....everyone else does. Though we did manage to overtake briefly a mum and an 8 year old in a strop because she didn't want to wear waterproofs....oh, and I overtook a BLOKE in the swimming pool the other month, then after recovering from panting, looked down and found he had only one leg. I did get a bit miffed when someone greeted me with "Well done!" in the middle of nowhere this summer in the sort of voice that hinted "Who let YOU out?" but she was only being nice, and came running back from the hill I had left my GPS on to hand it over on my final Donald. So she was maybe right, we did need a nursemaid or two. I asked "How did you know it was ours?" "I thought, 'They're old......they'll have all the safety gear' " We have been watching a series called "Missing Person" and I suppose it isn't entirely officious to ask yourself, (and sometimes even THEM!) if folk who seem to be struggling can do with some help. He certainly went about it the wrong way though :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh, and it would be nice to have some trip reports....I like retrospectives.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby yokehead » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Well you mostly meet a better type of person in the hills but unfortunately there's the odd t***er who acts superior, I've come across a couple. They usually have brand new-looking kit (clearly rarely used) and invariably are going down the hill when they make their comment!

The feck off reply suggested is particularly satisfying but a withering look can be just as effective!

BTW, you provided an extensive list of your trips but have not covered whether you know how to use a map! :wink: :lol:

All the best out there.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks people (us grumpy old men don't say 'guys') The ML lads and lasses made sure I could read a map ok ie look at it for five minutes, memorise your route then put map away...
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion