walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

What is a Donald? - Feedback request

What should be included on the Walkhighlands' list of Donalds

Poll ended at Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:15 am

Just the 89 Donald 'Hills' (as now)
54%
Both the Donald 'Hills' and 'Tops' (so 140 Donalds)
29%
Who cares?!
17%

Total votes : 70

What is a Donald? - Feedback request

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:15 am

A few people have asked about whether we are changing our list of Donalds to also include the Donald Tops.

If you are not a keen bagger then you should skip this thread! For those who are into the lesser lists, the background is that in the Donalds lists kept by the SMC there are 89 Donald Hills (which is what we currently list on Walkhighlands), and 51 Donald Tops, that are not considered separate enough to be classed as Donald Hills. This has not changed.

When we were asked to add the Donalds by various users, most wanted us to list the 89 Donald hills, though a couple preferred something called the New Donalds, which include some but not all the Donald Tops :shock: We went with the majority view of having the Donald Hills, partly because the Donalds already have generally less separation than any of the other hill lists, and so having more meant climbing some really minor bumps.

So what's changed? The Scottish Mountaineering Club have something called doing a 'Full House', which means climbing all their lists (Munros, Munro Tops, Corbetts, Grahams and Donalds). It's an amazing bagging acheivement, and I know several WH members have done it :clap: The SMC have recently announced that to complete the Full House you also need to have climbed the Donald Tops (but not Corbett or Graham Tops which they don't list). Fair enough, but they also say they now regard 'a round of the Donalds' (no qualifier) as including both the Donald Hills and the Donald Tops. This isn't consistent with the Munros, as for most people including SMC a round of Munros is a round of the Munros mountains and not the Tops, even though the Tops are explicitly part of the Full House. Also the Corbett and Graham categories have the most separation and therefore have by far the more significant unlisted summits, but although lists of tops in those height bands exist there seems less interest in those from the SMC. For clarity an SMC Full House also doesn't include any hills under 2000 feet (like the Sub 2000s). The SMC keep a list of those who have done the Donalds, and have said they will not delete the names of those already on the list that have climbed the Donald Hills but not the Donald Tops, but you need to do both to get on it in future.

A Full House is an SMC thing - it just means all the lists they include (so Munro Tops and Donald Tops but not Corbett Tops or Graham Tops). There are many more hills on the lists on Walkhighlands (e.g. Sub 2000s), but it's a different set of lists and doesn't include all the same hills. That won't change whatever is decided about Donalds.

The question here is whether the Donalds as listed on Walkhighlands should continue to be what Percy Donald's list regarded as being a separate Donald Hills, or whether it should also include what he regarded/ the Donald list has as Donald Tops.

Obviously many people are already intent on a round of these hills and is it fair to change goalposts on them?

Why you might think we should keep the list the same
- Although we keep our lists up to date with the various resurveys etc resulting in an odd hill changing now and then, it feels a bit like shifting the goalposts on people part way through their long-term objectives to suddenly make a wholesale change one of our lists to include another 51 extra minor summits.
- Keep consistent with the other lists that don't include Tops.
Why you might think we should change our Donalds list to include Donald Tops as well as separate Donald Hills
- The downside is that even if you climb all the Donald hills as we list them on Walkhighlands the SMC won't regard you as having done a 'round of the Donalds'.

If there is a majority of those interested in Donalds who want us to change our Donalds to include both categories of summit then we're happy to do that. What we don't want to do is split the list into two separate categories as it would just take up too much profile space (and be confusing /offputting for those with a lower level of interest in lists).

So there are a couple of options - if you are a Donald-er, then vote away :)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: What is a Donald? - Feedback request

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Slightly off topic but still on lists. I was wondering why WH doesn't have a munro top map. Some fine tops, routes and ridges missed out. Arguably a better list to tick off or explore than some that are included?
Sunset tripper

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Ah, it's been discussed before - though I've searched and can't find it!

I'm aware there are some people who would like the Munro Tops. The biggest reason why we've not included them is that the hills sections on Walkhighlands were primarily introduced as a way of making it so people can easily find past trip reports for whatever hill / walk they are researching. We've always wanted to encourage more people to write trip reports, and feedback I often hear is that it's already too difficult / intimidating when setting out doing trip reports to correctly mark it up with the right hills etc. Most people doing Munros are less interested in Tops and including them would make trip reports harder for posters to fully mark up. There wouldn't really be much benefit in helping searches, as there would be very few reports that have only Tops and not the nearby Munro summits). This is also the reason why we opted to do a Sub2000 list rather than Scottish Marilyns - the major benefit being it enables you to search extra hills, (and doesn't mean any double tagging).

The second connected reason is that beyond the main categories the number of people interested in further hill lists is a minority; Walkhighlands is intended to appeal to all types of walker and we don't want it to appear too bagging-centric in the way the site is set up, as that could put some some other folk off. There's also a 'where will it all end thing' - there's not really much more space on people's profiles that appear to the right of their posts. Of course some people would love more lists, but there are sites out there that set out to cater for the very keenest on bagging.

Off topic, but maybe that helps explain the thinking.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Of course some people would love more lists, but there are sites out there that set out to cater for the very keenest on bagging.

Indeed:
http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/

I registered here but then realised I really couldn't be bothered logging everything again. It's a handy reference for the latest re-shuffles though.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Yes, we do try to keep up to date on moving / changing summits, but messages poking me to another update are always welcome.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Yes, we do try to keep up to date on moving / changing summits, but messages poking me to another update are always welcome.

Yes, I notice that Ben Dearg in Parph had reared its head on your list too. (Sigh).

You could see the way the wind was blowing re Donalds as far as the SMC goes when it published its glossy new book. We did the Donalds and Tops as we got interested in that list around then, as did the person whose Full House celebration I attended last Saturday. So I'm for the full list, but only really so I can do a spot of armchair bagging while husband waits to see if his legs will ever recover.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Guinessman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Don't think I,'ll make the full house list. I started off doing the Donalds last October intending to do the 89 . Only 6 to go and at the minute that will be the round for me.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Coop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Not really into "tops" myself , but if you are and that's your thing, fine who am I to really say differently.
I may change my mind in a few years - I wasn't really into Corbetts much but ill go and walk them now.
This winter I'll know I'll be on a few more Grahams.
My point is, Corbett tops. 30m reascent is it I believe. Not totally sure offhand.
Are they not part of the "full house". If not why not.
Why not Graham tops. Why is it Donald tops now?
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Moriarty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Coop wrote:My point is, Corbett tops. 30m reascent is it I believe. Not totally sure offhand.

Because the SMC decided that for their Full House you should have done Munros and Tops, Donalds and Tops, Corbetts without Tops and Grahams without Tops.

It's not before time that a consistent and coherent approach was applied! :roll:
Moriarty

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Coop wrote:.
My point is, Corbett tops. 30m reascent is it I believe. Not totally sure offhand.

To clear up any confusion about what constitutes a Round of The Donalds, following some consultation it has been decided that from September 2018 Donaldists should have climbed all 89 Hills and 51 subsidiary Tops on Percy Donald’s list. This concurs with Anderson & Prentice “The Grahams & The Donalds SMC Hillwalkers Guide” (2015) (page 324) who point out that Donald’s Tables “are seen as a complete entity” unlike the Munros, Corbetts and Grahams

That's the SMC reasoning - a "complete entity". I don't really know what that means and your point is a valid one as far as I'm concerned.

There's some useful clarification about what a Corbett and Graham top is here:

https://www.rhb.org.uk/tables/corbetttops1999.htm
https://www.rhb.org.uk/tables/grahamtops2004.htm

IIRC there are 447 Corbett Tops (that aren't Corbetts) and 999 Graham Tops (that aren't Grahams). Having to climb all of those would make getting a Full House just a wee bit harder :lol:

Sims include all the Munro, Corbett and Graham tops, plus a few extra that are >600m but less than the 610m where Grahams begin.

As far as Paul's question is concerned, given the SMC's position about a Donald Round being all 140 hill tops, would probably be consistent if WH changed to adopt this IMO. Even though it means I have to go back over various Donalds to get the 10 Tops I need for my "official" second round :problem:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby scoob999 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:16 pm

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH DONALDS!!!!! and tops :( :( :(

I struggle with Donalds, althoug the ones I've done are not to bad :roll: really wish we'd done them sooner now! I've no even looked at where the tops are :shock: But I suppose the list should include the tops in keeping with the SMC list, Just incase someone is using Walkhighlands to tick off their lists so that tops can be added to any planned walk.

Now I better go and see how many tops we've walked past :( :(
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby malky_c » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 pm

scoob999 wrote:Now I better go and see how many tops we've walked past

I’ve walked past a couple - as in less than 5 minutes from the summit. That’s because they looked boring. Doubt I’ll be going back :lol:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby scoob999 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 pm

malky_c wrote:
scoob999 wrote:Now I better go and see how many tops we've walked past

I’ve walked past a couple - as in less than 5 minutes from the summit. That’s because they looked boring. Doubt I’ll be going back :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't know why I'm laughing :( :( :( :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Good Lord no!!!!! Don't encourage me any more! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby FraserHughes » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:34 am

Would it not be possible to leave the Donalds as they are but add a new "catagory" for the Donald Tops? That way people can chose if they want to record the Tops or not.

It probably means more work for WH but is there another downside I'm missing?
FraserHughes

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion