walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

What is a Donald? - Feedback request

What should be included on the Walkhighlands' list of Donalds

Poll ended at Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:15 am

Just the 89 Donald 'Hills' (as now)
54%
Both the Donald 'Hills' and 'Tops' (so 140 Donalds)
29%
Who cares?!
17%

Total votes : 70

Re: What is a Donald? - Feedback request

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Here are 4 from different categories I think should be on the list.

Munro - Ben Nevis
Corbett - Foinaven
Graham - Suilven
Sub 2000 - Mullach an Eilein (Boreray)

Ps. I doubt if any Donalds would get on the list. :D

Personally I enjoyed the Donalds, plenty of variety over differing terrains and the Mullwharchar group are great fun.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Yes, some good points. A best hills list probably would have to include a lowland hill for some variety.
Paul's now got his work cut out to create a WH 100 or BoSS list and keep everyone happy. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby FraserHughes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Sgurr wrote:
malky_c wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:Ps. I doubt if any Donalds would get on the list

I dunno - Craignaw might just sneak in....

The Swatte Fell, Hart Fell , Saddle Yoke circuit might. Good in winter.

Particularly if you go up Coomb Craig Ridge. The top half is a nice grade 1 arete in winter.

I'd be well up for some sort of 100 BoSS list, though as suggested by others I think it would need some sort of area weighting. Otherwise it is basically the North West, Skye and Arran!

The other consideration is should it be summits or routes? Does the Aonach Eagach count once or twice, is the South Shiel Ridge 1 route or 7(+!) summits?

Either way sounds like we'd need a good bun fight to it sort out! :lol:

EDIT: I think we might be off topic!
FraserHughes

Postby yokehead » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:50 pm

FraserHughes wrote:Either way sounds like we'd need a good bun fight to it sort out!

EDIT: I think we might be off topic!

At least it's drawing in interest to help in the vote on the Donald's question!

As for the bun fight, I think perhaps the time has come to launch a new organisation. Whilst Mr Webster may be a bit coy on the subject :wink: , again, walkhighlands would perhaps be well placed in this, in fact WMC has a certain ring to it don't you think? 8)

The list should certainly include those fine hills in those fine UK countries outside of Scotland, and perhaps the newly-formed WMC could introduce a committee to discuss and develop the list. There would also need to be visits to the proposed hills with the requisite measuring devices to ensure subjectiveness. This would require a committee to decide what the measurement committee should be looking for. Free drinks would, I expect, be provided. :D

I really would love to see a 200 or 250 list other than what one day may come to be of my own making. 100 may not be enough to cover the best nor of sufficient challenge in number. Sorry to be off topic! :)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:35 pm

:roll:

A draft 250 BoSSes has been drawn up. Best news for me would be that we'd get a chance to include Ben A'an in a hill list after so many people email in to complain all the time after they've climbed it and then find they can't tick it off anywhere 8) :lol:

Meantime this thread keeps near the top so we keep getting plenty of votes in on the important question!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Paul Webster wrote::roll:
Meantime this thread keeps near the top so we keep getting plenty of votes in on the important question!

48 votes out of over 127,000 - just like a 'local election' :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby scoob999 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Some good ideas here. It's tempting to scrap the Donalds and use the space for the new Walkhighlands' handpicked BoSS list - the Best of Scotland's Summits. :wink:

This is actually a great idea! Would take my mind of the Donalds too :lol:
What about a selection of the most highly rated hills from all categories? A new list to bag :shock: 8)

If the Donald list stays at 89 though maybe you should put a note saying the tops need to be done as well.

Is there a way of selecting the hills with the most stars? Ben A'an and some Munro tops would surley make the top 100 BoSSers :wink:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:41 am

Looking at the hill lists sorted by user rating is quite interesting - especially for the sub-2000s, where a rather odd collection has 5 stars, and you have to go down into 4.something to see the hills I'd expect to see at the top (Beinn Tianavaig, Sgurr na Stri, the Sgurr of Eigg...).

But apparently the Donalds are so dull that they don't have a rating at all! :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:00 am

scoob999 wrote:Would take my mind off the Donalds too :lol:

Don't discount them, you'll barely notice you're not still in the Alps.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby woftis » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 am

I'd like to be able to track them through the site. I've fortunately not started Donalds so if they were just to appear in the list it wouldn't be problem for me although I imagine for people that were making the round, treating the tops as a separate list would allow them the choice of whether they press on and do the Tops without as you said moving the goal posts on them.
woftis
Mountain Walker

Munros:13   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:10   

Postby mountainsofscotland » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Could I suggest please feeding back to the SMC to leave the list alone. There are 89 Donalds and 51 Donald Tops. To do a round of Donalds you have to complete all 89 Donalds. This is equivalent to completing a round of 282 Munros i.e. you do not also have to complete the 227 Munro Tops.

I guess completing a Full House is a possibility for me. I have 70 Munro Tops still to complete having already completed the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams, Donalds (89) and Furth. I am not looking forward to having to revisit Donald Tops having completed the Donalds (albeit I do have only 9 Donald Tops remaining).

I have heard some give the reason you have to complete the "Classic" round of Donalds i.e. 140. If that is the case we should also have to complete the "Classic" round of Munros which is the 1891 list and the "Classic" round of Corbetts which is the 1953 list.

List ticking is just a game. Best to just get out there and enjoy the hills.
mountainsofscotland

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby iangpark » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:00 pm

It's an interesting choice Paul. I have voted to include the tops as that is essentially the official 'Donalds' list now, albeit a bit contradictory to their (SMC) other lists. I'd say the main issue is that the because tops are so much lower by prominence than the current Donalds, a separate sub-list would be needed to distinguish them. I actually much prefer the New Donalds list but I suppose it is contemporary and much less official. At the end of the day, as WH is so big and popular now; accessible to many less experienced in lists, I wouldn't blame you for excluding the new changes. I'll be doing them all regardless :-P
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby iangpark » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:22 pm

Infact, after seeing the comments from other folk, my mind has been changed. It wouldn't make sense to remove the list as that would throw the relative hills thing completely off-kilter. Keeping the Donalds without the tops is inkeeping with the other 3 lists too.

Side note: Don't slag the Donalds! The highlander folk canny stand them as they don't have a 5256m drop on both sides and a bad step, but blaming a hill for what it looks like is a bit mental :lol:
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion