walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Condition of fords between GA Youth Hostel and Shiel Bridge?

Condition of fords between GA Youth Hostel and Shiel Bridge?

Postby TheFox » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:04 pm

My girlfriend and I are currently hiking/camping around in the Highlands. On the walk from Braemar to Glenmore via Derry Lodge and Loch Etchachan and Avon we had to cross a couple of rivers that had swollen after strong rainfall so we had to ford barefoot with heavy backpacks rather than skip from stone to stone (at Loch Etchachan and close to the beach at Loch Avon). We also left the tent in the pack and slept in Hutchinson rather than camping at Loch Etchachan or in the shadow of the torrs on Beinn Mheadhoin due to inclement weather (rain and strong winds).

We're now safely in Glenmore and wondering about the next part of the walk. Planned to take the bus to Cannich, then hike through Glen Affric to Shiel Bridge via Morvich with camps at Loch Affric, the Youth Hostel, and close to Morvich (have to schedule to catch the next bus and prefer shorter daily walks to take in and photograph the scenery).

The weather looks okay for camping (mix of sun and rain, no strong winds, few alternative shelters though), but according to the map there are a couple of fords to cross, and after the experience of the last couple of days we were wondering whether anyone knows their current condition? Obviously they can change again in the next couple of days ...

Just wondering whether we should go ahead with original plan or make alternative plans ...
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

Re: Condition of fords between GA Youth Hostel and Shiel Bri

Postby gaffr » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Hello,
I guess that you mean Alltbeithe hostel rather than Affric hostel? perhaps.

All of the streams in the hill areas can be a problem during heavy rainfall.....having the tent means that you can go to ground and sit it out if needed? I would doubt if these would be more troublesome than those that you found in the Cairngorms? A bit dryer in Speyside today and less windy.

Beyond the hostel there is a Bothy at Camban.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Old Stag » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Can't think of any of the bigger streams that don't have bridges over them offhand. I was up that way a few weeks ago and the bridges were all fine, I might be forgetting a ford or two though?

I think your main problem might be getting a spot to camp at Loch Affric. Most of the Loch itself is fenced off by the hunting shooting fishing folk.
Old Stag

Postby TheFox » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:20 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello,
I guess that you mean Alltbeithe hostel rather than Affric hostel? perhaps.

All of the streams in the hill areas can be a problem during heavy rainfall.....having the tent means that you can go to ground and sit it out if needed? I would doubt if these would be more troublesome than those that you found in the Cairngorms? A bit dryer in Speyside today and less windy.

Beyond the hostel there is a Bothy at Camban.

To my knowledge it's called the Glen Affric YHA? Anyway, it's the one west of Strawberry Cottage :wink: I thought of Camban Bothy, but that's out of the way. There are also supposed to be a couple more buildings on the way that can provide shelter,
like a 'Park Tranter Memorial Bothy' I had never heard of that's mentioned on Outdooractive. But the weather report looks promising enough on most websites for camping to be possible.
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Postby TheFox » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:24 pm

Old Stag wrote:I think your main problem might be getting a spot to camp at Loch Affric. Most of the Loch itself is fenced off by the hunting shooting fishing folk.

It doesn't have to be at the Loch's shore, just in the forest in the glen. We will arrive at Cannich at around 4pm (no earlier transport), then walk as far back into the glen as possible before nightfall, hopefully till the circuit car park. Then on to the YHA hostel the next day, then to Morvich the day after to catch the bus from Shiel Bridge to Glencoe th following morning.
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Postby Old Stag » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:03 am

Yes the Glen Affric car park is probably your best place to stop for the night (ignore no camping signs). There are toilets but no drinking water. Park/Tranter and Camban are the same hut. Enjoy it, you will be fine!
There is a gift shop just beyond Morvich that sells essentials (beer and crisps), and is open until 10pm.
Old Stag

Postby mountainstar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:31 am

If you take the track to Camban and carry on via Gleann Lichd to Morvich, its about same distance as the other route. Also it's a better path, and all the major rivers have bridges, there are a few small burns coming off the mountain that can swell if in spate. The path you intend to take can be boggier in places, and if the weather has been wet the river you have to cross by the Allt Coire an Sgairne can be a problem. Camban is a good place to shelter or stop over. Also the YHA leaves the back annex open to use when the hostel shuts for the season.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby TheFox » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:46 am

Old Stag wrote:Yes the Glen Affric car park is probably your best place to stop for the night (ignore no camping signs). There are toilets but no drinking water. Park/Tranter and Camban are the same hut. Enjoy it, you will be fine!
There is a gift shop just beyond Morvich that sells essentials (beer and crisps), and is open until 10pm.

We have a water filter for drinking an boil the water for cooking anyway, so most water is fine :D

I shall mark that store on the map!
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Postby TheFox » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 am

mountainstar wrote:If you take the track to Camban and carry on via Gleann Lichd to Morvich, its about same distance as the other route. Also it's a better path, and all the major rivers have bridges, there are a few small burns coming off the mountain that can swell if in spate. The path you intend to take can be boggier in places, and if the weather has been wet the river you have to cross by the Allt Coire an Sgairne can be a problem. Camban is a good place to shelter or stop over. Also the YHA leaves the back annex open to use when the hostel shuts for the season.

We looked at both routes and chose the other as there were beautiful pictures of it about, but if the second one is in better shape, we'll take that one. Didn't quite fancy the paths-turned-rivers at Loch Etchachan :D

I've nosed around the YHA shelter when staying in Strawberry Cottage two years ago, seems cosy enough if the weather goes haywire.

Thanks for all the advice folks!
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion