walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The best way to get to Essan bothy?

Re: The best way to get to Essan bothy?

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:49 pm

I see you have a really high opinion of me! :(
mountain coward

Postby bothybum » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:00 pm

now,now boys calm it down :roll:
bothybum
Wanderer

Munros:3   

Postby Essan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Having been asked about the correct way to walk to Essan, I've now produced a wee map:

Essan_path.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For most of the way there is no path. However the Creagan an t-Sagairt / Creag Dearg ridge is dry and fairly easy going with good views all around. Note that the drop down to Essan is quite steep!
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Grahams:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:24   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:19 am

Hi Essan. What about going in from the east utilising part of the WH route to the Corbett Beinn Mhic Cedidh?
something like this (see below). Any idea what these burns are like to cross generally? I've been looking at a few routes in there taking in the bothy but avoiding the railway. Cheers :D

New_Route (20).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunset tripper

Postby al78 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 am

How about a train to Glenfinnan, then climb Beinn Odhar Mhor, follow the ridge SW then NW to Beinn Mhic Cedidh (there might be a way up from the shore of loch Shiel). From that summit, descend along the north ridge and turn NW at a col and drop down to the loch will put you a couple of hundred meters from the bothy. I won't claim this is the easiest or best route but you do get to knock off a couple of Corbets en-route.

If the route turns out to be awful, just tell yourself it is character building. :lol:
al78
Mountain Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to General discussion