walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Route advice for a 3-day hike from Blair Athol

Route advice for a 3-day hike from Blair Athol

Postby houndkirk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi!

I'm planning a mini autumn adventure to spend 3 days ticking off a few munros in a loop from Blair Athol.
I've worked out a route on OS maps which looks feasible, but as I don't know the area at all, I was wondering if some of you more experienced folk would mind casting an eye over it and pointing out any obvious flaws - just so I don't get too wet or die, really?

The basic plan is to head up to Beinn a' Ghlo via Cran Liath then head north and camp 1st night somewhere suitable between Meall Gharran and the old shielings marked at the confluence of An Lochain and the Tilt. 2nd day would take me along the banks of the Tilt and then take the track up to Carn a' Chlamain before heading to Loch Mhairc via Aonach na Cloiche Moire and Braighe Sron Ghorm, camping on the northern side of Loch Mhairc. 3rd day would be Beinn Dearg via Elrig 'ic an Toisich then back to Blair Athol on a roughly SSE heading, following the path & tracks.

As a newbie, it appears that I'm not allowed to post a link, so hopefully this image will serve as a rough idea:
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 13.44.52.png

I'm a fellrunner, so reasonably fit and spent 3 days hiking around Cairngorm and Lairig Ghru skyline last summer, so I have a notion of roughly what to expect to experience in terms of terrain and all-the-weather-in-one-day.

Any advice on the route and potential camping spots, including "don't do it" would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Trevor
houndkirk
Mountaineer

Munros:7   

Re: Route advice for a 3-day hike from Blair Athol

Postby Magoo82 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:37 pm

Yeah I guess you could camp the first night near point 7 on your map although if you continue north for about 1km along the path to Bedford Bridge there's a good flat grassy area right next to the Tilt that is perfect for camping.
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby jmarkb » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:06 pm

I think you should find somewhere reasonable near Loch Mhairc: I have a camped by the burn a km or two to the south.
The mid level terrain hereabouts is pretty awful going - deep heather and peat hags - so it's best to stick to high ground and tracks as far as possible.

Crossing the Tilt at your point 7 could be problem, and traversing the S bank to the bridge at point 8 not much fun. It might be better to descend more directly from Meall a' Mhuirich towards the bridge - it looks like there are some decent pitches thereabouts: http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NN9576

To maximise bagging efficiency (which is not everybody's primary concern), you might want to consider doing Scarsoch and Fhidhleir instead of Beinn a' Ghlo: the latter is a straightforward day trip, whereas these two are along way from anywhere!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Driftwood » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:51 pm

jmarkb wrote:The mid level terrain hereabouts is pretty awful going - deep heather and peat hags - so it's best to stick to high ground and tracks as far as possible.
To maximise bagging efficiency (which is not everybody's primary concern), you might want to consider doing Scarsoch and Fhidhleir instead of Beinn a' Ghlo: the latter is a straightforward day trip, whereas these two are along way from anywhere!

This was walked clockwise, in dry summer conditions (and visiting bothies instead of camping), but gives one way of combining these four (Beinn Dearg, Carn a'Chlamain, Scarsoch and Fhidleir):
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64797

Though it wasn't necessarily the most "efficient" route in that I opted to include the Corbett Beinn Mheadhonach when Beinn Bhreac may have been a better option.

The bog and heather wasn't a problem in the weather I enjoyed, but I'd certainly imagine that keeping on high, solid ground would be preferable in "normal" conditions.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Essan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:10 pm

As noted above: from Meall a Mhuirich, drop down to the bridge near point 8 - the Tilt can be tricky to ford. There are good camping spots by the bridge.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby GillSte » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:28 pm

I've used the route down to the bridge mentioned by everyone else. On old maps, there's a path shown which was fairly clear on the ground when I used it. I camped on nice grassy flats close to the bridge near the waterfall, though I have to say that the noise from the waterfall kept me awake a long while! I was doing a linear walk to Coylumbridge, and found good camping spots very easily on the way. Knowing the Munros that you're heading to, you shouldn't have any problems.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:56 pm

I live in Dundee so could be up to Blair Atholl early and home 90 minutes after getting back in my car again but that is potentially a two day trip in my opinion, especially if you are as fit as your hobbies suggest.

If you live further away maybe not and of course there is no need to rush.

I think your second day would be very short, especially, if as recommended you drop to the bridge.

If munro bagging is the aim, I would agree with the advice above that Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch would be more efficient use of a multi day trip into those parts and leave Beinn a' Ghlo for a day walk.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 pm

There is a wire bridge across the tilt round about point 7 on your map. I have had a look at it before (though not crossed it) it is quite high above the river and I'm not sure about it's condition or strength but you could have a look at it if you were camping there. There is a great spot to visit upstream at the Bedford Bridge - an old suspension bridge that crosses the Tarf where it flows into the Tilt. The Tarf is the bigger of the two rivers here and you might well be able to ford the Tilt at this point and then use the Bedford Bridge to cross the Tarf.
The route jmarkb suggests might well be the safer option though if the water levels are high as the river is the biggest obstacle on your map.
Looks a decent route though taking in a few munros. All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby houndkirk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks everyone for the great advice. It's been very helpful. I'll be travelling from Sheffield, so it seemed most practical to give it three full days in the hills with overnight stops before and after in Blair Athol.

As suggested by most of you, I've decided to drop down to the bridge in Glen Tilt from Meall a' Mhuirich rather than go further north and risk not being able to ford the Tilt. I'll find somewhere to camp near the bridge.

Although this trip was primarily just to explore and have a bit of an adventure rather than a munro-bagging exercise, I've taken your suggestions on and extended day 2 to take in Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch and camp at Loch Mhairc.

If the weather turns, I could always drop back to the Tarf Hotel for the night and walk out via the Tarf and Glen Tilt.

The revised route map is below
Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 08.14.31.png
houndkirk
Mountaineer

Postby mountainstar » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:18 am

Just incase you did not know, and need a bad weather alternative to bed down for the night, there is a bothy not too far from your high route.
https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/eastern-highlands/tarf-hotel-feith-uaine/

Edit...just saw your last post, you know about the Bothy. :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby houndkirk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 am

Always worth mentioning as I hadn't spotted it on my first plan, but driftwood mentioned it in their walk report. Thanks :D
houndkirk
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:09 am

Also just in case you weren’t aware. Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch can be very tricky to get to if the Tarf is in spate. There’s also what looks on the map as a wee burn next to the hotel that can be quite a serious crossing as well.

Enjoy your trip though, it’s a lovely area to explore.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby houndkirk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:57 am

prog99 wrote:Also just in case you weren’t aware. Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch can be very tricky to get to if the Tarf is in spate. There’s also what looks on the map as a wee burn next to the hotel that can be quite a serious crossing as well.

Enjoy your trip though, it’s a lovely area to explore.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to have some alternatives up my sleeve in case the Tarf proves awkward.
houndkirk
Mountaineer

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Here is my trip report the 2nd day will give you an idea of how quickly the River Tilt can rise in less than 10hrs,the terrain is not the most enjoyable going from the Tarf Hotel and over Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch the area is like a big sponge when wet.

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20937
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby houndkirk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Nice write-up, thanks for sharing! Made me wonder whether I should do your route instead as it sounds great. I'll save that for another time, though, I think. But definitely noted that I may need to cross the Tarf in my underpants, so I'll make sure I have some clean ones for the occasion :)
houndkirk
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion