walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lairig Ghru to Aviemore

Lairig Ghru to Aviemore

Postby IamAJMiller » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi there,

Some advice needed on how to finish our walk to Aviemore. On our way North out of the Lairig Ghru there are a few options for getting to Aviemore, the obvious one being direct via the Cairngorm Club Footbridge. Can anyone tell me if this bridge is in place and is it the best way through Rothiemurchus? Or is there a alternative way that I'm missing?

Cheers in advance!
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Re: Lairig Ghru to Aviemore

Postby malky_c » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:29 pm

Yep, the bridge is there. Have a look at this for the route through Rothiemurchus - it looks like there are lots of junctions on the map but the main route through is pretty obvious on the map. I can't remember, but there might even be the odd signpost lower down.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49841
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby IamAJMiller » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:40 pm

That looks like the route we were hoping to take. Thanks a lot!
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:08 am

I'm not sure where you are starting from but here is the route I took from Linn of Dee through the Lairig Ghru a couple of years back the last bit down to the Cairngorm Club Footbridge and on to Aviemore station is similar to Malky Cs
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/mapfull.php?map=248209
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65574
Sunset tripper

Postby rgf101 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 am

I've only ever walked in / out via Coylumbridge as on the linked maps, but I now see there's a route between NH938075 (if you're walking north, where the path takes a left turn en route to the bridge) and parking past Coylumbridge. Does anyone know if that's a decent alternative? I've done the usual route several times now and it can be a bit of a trudge on tired legs. A change would be a as good as a rest, after all...
rgf101

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 pm

rgf101 wrote:I've only ever walked in / out via Coylumbridge as on the linked maps, but I now see there's a route between NH938075 (if you're walking north, where the path takes a left turn en route to the bridge) and parking past Coylumbridge. Does anyone know if that's a decent alternative? I've done the usual route several times now and it can be a bit of a trudge on tired legs. A change would be a as good as a rest, after all...

It's mostly an old neglected track a bit boggy in places and I dont think it's used much nowadays. It's years since I was on it though.
There is a good path starting from the junction you mention down to the west end of Loch Morlich which is a good alternative.

Also starting from the sugarbowl car park through the Chalamain Gap if heading for the Lairig Ghru or the hills is a good option and well worth doing.

The great advantage I find with the path into Coylumbridge ( your usual route) apart from the good path and great forest scenery, is it's only a short walk from Coylumbridge to Aviemore to visit the bars before the train home. :D

A slight variation of your route here also.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/rothiemurchus.shtml
Sunset tripper

Postby rgf101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks, useful to know.
rgf101

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion