walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Plastic Mountain

Re: Plastic Mountain

Postby al78 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:53 am

ceaser wrote:Guess I must be lucky , i see very little rubbish on my trips into the hills

It will be worse on the tourist routes, due to the number of people combined with ignorance/laziness. If you tend to walk in the more remote areas that take significant effort to get too, or climb summits without paths and car parks at the base where you need navigation skills and the ability to pick a route over rough terrain, around crags, vegetation and bogs, you will see little evidence of human activity.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Yes and many don't seem to make it any further than a few metres from paths.

And those that do end up defeated by... a shrubbery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27882358
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:38 pm

What about shotgun cartridges? I've seen a lot recently on some Corbetts on estates. I have no issues with estates being managed the way their staff see fit but presumably cartridges will be there for years?
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Tinman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:52 pm

When I read the original post I thought to myself that has not been my experience so I decided I would undertake my own research the next time I was up in Scotland which so happens to have been the weekend just gone. I landed back at home in Durham about three hours ago.

Not the best of weather I have to say but there you go.

On Saturday I bagged Beinn Dearg (Blair Athlon); on Sunday Carn a’Chlamain and today, Ben Chonzie.

In terms of number of ascents per Walkhighlands, Beinn Dearg is in the third quartile, Carn a’Chlamain about half way whilst Ben Chonzie is in the top ten. A mixed sample. With Carn a’Chlamain though, one must remember the suggested route is up Glen Tilt which does get a lot of footfall for many reasons. So it’s busy as is the car park at Bridge of Tilt but more of the latter later.

For all three hills I kept to the designated paths/routes without exception. And they all have paths.

Having done so I can safely say that I did not see any litter/rubbish or whatever of any description and certainly not a plastic mountain.

Re Bridge of Tilt car park, I couldn’t actually find a bin but even there I couldn’t see any litter either. Similarly there was no rubbish to be seen at Ben Chonzie car park albeit there are some monster bins there which I assume the locals use for their own bin collections.

I accept there will be litter somewhere (particularly Ben Nevis, Scafell Pyke and presumably Snowden) but these really are the tourist hotspots. With that said, the last time I was on Ben Lawers and also Ben Lomond both in August, again, no litter.

No doubt virtually all (if not all) of the 144,000 or so members on this website take their responsibilities very seriously and act accordingly. Remember you are not going to get your average Liverpool supporter up many Munros.

In short I don’t see it as being the major problem as suggested and therefore have to agree with the comments made by Caesar.

And don’t get me started on a Tourist Tax, motorbikes and a wish to be able to hit people.
Tinman
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:134   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion