walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairngorm & Macdui

Cairngorm & Macdui

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Wondering if anyone can tell me what the underfoot conditions are like on Ben Macdui at the moment? Is there any snow lying already? (I heard that last week saw the first snow of the season in the Cairngorms).

I'm looking to take a pal from down South up to Ben Macdui next weekend, and just wanted a heads up on conditions.

Thanks in advance.

LF
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Re: Cairngorm & Macdui

Postby prog99 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:23 pm

A weeks a long time in hillwalking at this time of year but the freezing level went back above the summits today so expect any dusting to be in the North Sea.

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3065.html

Looks like it stays warm this week.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby larry groo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:56 pm

I was on Beinn a'Chaorainn Saturday.

No snow on the side of Macdui I could see, but as noted. It could all change.

Was like a summer day up there yesterday!
larry groo

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:26 pm

No snow visible from Meall Chuaich yesterday - occasional spots in the air, but it wasn't lying.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:28 pm

The wind might be more of a problem than snow at present. Four of us (one inexperienced) had to turn back within a mile or so of the summit of MacDhui a couple of weeks ago. Visibility was OK & just a few sleety showers, but the wind gathered pace and walking became a real struggle. We seem to have been getting quite a few prolonged spells of high winds recently. Wind speeds today range from 38mph to 65mph with gusts up to 83 mph (just half an hour ago).
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:45 pm

No appreciable snow on Macdui or Cairngorm on Saturday. But as someone said, a week is a long time in mountain weather. Keep an eye on the forecasts.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:52 am

We usually get a kind of phoney winter in October/November with sudden blizzards and foul weather, then it settles down to disappointingly mild, wet and windy until sometime in January when things freeze up properly. The wind and rain will kill you just as dead as subzero temperatures and snow avalanches.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:41 am

Caberfeidh wrote:We usually get a kind of phoney winter in October/November with sudden blizzards and foul weather, then it settles down to disappointingly mild, wet and windy until sometime in January when things freeze up properly. The wind and rain will kill you just as dead as subzero temperatures and snow avalanches.

Caberfeidh's comments capture the situation perfectly. To illustrate that, after a snow-free Macdui on Saturday, I saw photos of the summit on Sunday with lots of fresh snow and looking pretty raw. You have to take what you get - the trick is in being prepared for it.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion