walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mental health/hillwalking

Re: Mental health/hillwalking

Postby 3peaker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:18 am

My mental health suffered greatly after suffering a heart attack back in December 2017 - 2 days after celebrating my 60th birthday and 2 days before Christmas. The following 10 long days in hospital did not help my mental health - I had a very small window above my bed in hospital and I sat on the bed looking out with a great deal of depression wondering whether or not I would ever get out and back to walking in the hills.
Fortunately I escaped from the hospital just into the New Year and spent the rest of 2018 regaining my health and fitness - this included my mental health and overcoming depression knowing in the back of my mind that one day I would be able to get back into the hills. It took some time but eventually I managed a slow walk up Snowdon later that year with a couple of friends and a number of walks around the Peak District. Earlier in 2019 I managed to climb up Helvellyn via striding edge with a group of friends. This was a mighty leap forward for myself in many ways and gave me a great deal of confidence in my own ability not only to enjoy walking in the hills, climb and scramble along a difficult ridge but the benefits to my mental health and having a more positive outlook to life rather than a very negative one that came along after my heart attack.
At the time of heart attack I only had 10 munro`s to complete my first round of munro`s and this was the only thing on my mind for 18 months of rehab and fitness training - I guess it did become an obsession to return to Scotland and complete my remaining munro`s.
I am pleased to report that the remaining 10 munro`s have now been climbed during April & May 2019 finishing off with Ben Challum (also known as Malcolm`s Hill) on Sunday 26th May sadly in terrible weather conditions - reason enough for returning in the future to climb Ben Challum again on a good day.
I enjoy the hills because of the freedom that they offer for free in this crazy world, plus the enjoyment of being part of a walking group or the lovely solitude if walking on your own and the way that all of life problems & issues seem to melt away in the hills and mountains.
My thanks to all my friends for their support and Stepping Hill hospital, Stockport for looking after me and my 4 brave friends who managed to climb Ben Challum with me last Sunday- not forgetting my other friends who found the strong winds, heavy rain & low cloud not very enjoyable and turned around at various points. We all returned safe for a night of celebrating in Tyndrum and Crianlarich. Life in this old ticker yet.
Regards Malcolm
3peaker
Mountain Walker

Re: Mental health/hillwalking

Postby Krystalized » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 am

Walkinmyfootsteps wrote:Healthy body healthy mind.
Easy four words but it’s a winner

Couldn't say it better. That's the main reason I started hillwalking.
Krystalized
Wanderer

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to General discussion