walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hill for a newbie.

Hill for a newbie.

Postby Outnabout » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:42 pm

The brother in law wants me to take him a hill walk on the 21st this month, this will be his first, myself having done 30 odd.
Would prefer a rugged hill with mild scrambling nothing to hard for him and obviously good views, my first thought was the cobbler having done it myself but ruled it out due to the parking charges.
Other ones I'm thinking about is Ben vane and Ben ledi as these are roughly within an hour of Glasgow, don't mind if it's a munro or a lesser one as long as it has plenty of character.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Hill for a newbie.

Postby Coop » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Outnabout wrote:, don't mind if it's a munro or a lesser one as long as it has plenty of character.

How's about
The miniature mountain - Ben Venue
Can't guarantee the weather and try and take him on a good clear dry day - you may put him off for good otherwise :D
All the best wherever you go
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby grahamyarr » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Beinn an Lochain is a cracker of a hill. There's plenty (free) parking in a lay-by just over the Argyll side of the Rest and be Thankful and it's got loads of character and cracking views (on a good day obviously!) It's just short of being a Munro but that means you won't come across hunners of folk on it!
grahamyarr
Walker

Postby Outnabout » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:01 pm

@ coop will have a look, yeah weather will be the deciding factor, done almost 15 miles on Sunday with driving rain and it wasn't much fun. And as you say don't want to put him off first time.

@grahamyarr did consider that one, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it looked very good when I passed it on way to Dunoon a few weeks back
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion