walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Blister advice required

Re: Blister advice required

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 pm

nick70 wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:there is a long distance walking race here on the island called the Parish Walk. The full race is 85 miles and it has to be completed in 24 hours, but only about 10% finish the whole race.

Most people stop at or before Peel (32.5 miles) which has a cut off of 9 hours, and that is usually my target, as it makes a decent days walk and its a bit like a folk festival type of atmosphere on the route to that point. Also its a nice pint in the Royal near the finish line.

I have tried all kinds of training shoes for this walk, and different socks, compeed, etc, but I always ended up with a blister or several, until 2016, when I read a study on how ultramarathon runners avoid blisters, and the answer was.... paper tape, Just simple microporous paper tape from boots for about 70p a roll, wrapped around my big toe, and layered across ball of foot and heel = no blisters!

Ok, I realise that this is not really solving the OP's question about his new boots (as this is an extreme blister situation), but thought I'd share for those who have blister issues on epic hikes.

Hi STJ

Can you advise where you get this paper tape please? I have tried all options, from foot cream, 2 pairs of socks (thin liner pair), 1000 mile socks, different boots etc.

I would be keen to try this tape you alk of. I'm at stage now that I'm thinking of booking an appointment with podiatrist, but this sound promising.

I haven't tried the different lacing yet, so will give this a go also.
Hi Nick70, its just paper tape, like this stuff:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255907891

I think it works because the paper slides against the sock without causing friction, so leaving me blister free.

I've found the study I referred to earlier or at least a report on it

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2016/04/stanford-trial-shows-paper-tape-can-help-prevent-foot-blisters.html
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Re: Blister advice required

Postby nick70 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
nick70 wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:there is a long distance walking race here on the island called the Parish Walk. The full race is 85 miles and it has to be completed in 24 hours, but only about 10% finish the whole race.

Most people stop at or before Peel (32.5 miles) which has a cut off of 9 hours, and that is usually my target, as it makes a decent days walk and its a bit like a folk festival type of atmosphere on the route to that point. Also its a nice pint in the Royal near the finish line.

I have tried all kinds of training shoes for this walk, and different socks, compeed, etc, but I always ended up with a blister or several, until 2016, when I read a study on how ultramarathon runners avoid blisters, and the answer was.... paper tape, Just simple microporous paper tape from boots for about 70p a roll, wrapped around my big toe, and layered across ball of foot and heel = no blisters!

Ok, I realise that this is not really solving the OP's question about his new boots (as this is an extreme blister situation), but thought I'd share for those who have blister issues on epic hikes.

Hi STJ

Can you advise where you get this paper tape please? I have tried all options, from foot cream, 2 pairs of socks (thin liner pair), 1000 mile socks, different boots etc.

I would be keen to try this tape you alk of. I'm at stage now that I'm thinking of booking an appointment with podiatrist, but this sound promising.

I haven't tried the different lacing yet, so will give this a go also.
Hi Nick70, its just paper tape, like this stuff:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255907891

I think it works because the paper slides against the sock without causing friction, so leaving me blister free.

I've found the study I referred to earlier or at least a report on it

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2016/04/stanford-trial-shows-paper-tape-can-help-prevent-foot-blisters.html

STJ, many thanks for the prompt reply. I read the report, sounds promising. If I can source some I shall try it out. Many thanks for the suggestion.

Nick
nick70

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion