walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How to Transport Fuel Cylinders

How to Transport Fuel Cylinders

Postby BrothyBoys » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello All,

My group of friends and I are new to Bothy camping and have come into the following problem: we purchased a gas cylinder and then found out we wouldnt be able to take it on the train. We are headed to the Cairngorm National Park in a week and need to figure out a solution. Driving is out of the picture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
BrothyBoys

Re: How to Transport Fuel Cylinders

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 pm

You can buy gas cylinders in Aviemore
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby prog99 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:58 pm

I assume you aren't talking about the uk rail system? Are you coming over on the eurostar?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 pm

BrothyBoys wrote:Hello All,

My group of friends and I are new to Bothy camping and have come into the following problem: we purchased a gas cylinder and then found out we wouldnt be able to take it on the train. We are headed to the Cairngorm National Park in a week and need to figure out a solution. Driving is out of the picture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I've never been searched boarding a train....
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:we purchased a gas cylinder and then found out we wouldnt be able to take it on the train.

In principle, that might be true: it may qualify as "Dangerous Goods" under Section 23.6 of the National Rail
Conditions of Travel http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National%20Rail%20Conditions%20of%20Travel.pdf but I can't find any more detailed definition. However, I'd be very surprised indeed if you had any problem with a small gas cartridge in you rucksack.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 pm

If you're travelling within the UK rail network, you'll be fine. But plenty shops to buy gas in Aviemore. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:36 pm

I've carried gas cylinders on numerous UK trains without even thinking about it. Even if there is a rule, nobody ever worries about it.

If it is Eurostar/tunnel you're talking about, fair enough they probably do ban gas. Though thinking about it I've travelled on Eurotunnel in the car with gas in the boot without even considering I shouldn't be!

Anyway, Aviemore is full of outdoor shops who sell gas, as long as you're there during opening hours.

I once tried to carry a gas cylinder on a flight to Icelend. Funnily enough, they confiscated it off me. I was 9. I was also carrying pebbles from Brighton beach, but they turned a blind eye after a quick word.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:35 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Is it a gas cylinder like this? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Screenshot_20181016-220837_Google-535x635.jpg

Or a small canister like this? :D :D :D
Screenshot_20181016-221113_Google-540x462.jpg

You cant take either on the Eurostar but the small camping gas canister you can take on the British railway network no problem.
The calor gas bottle probably not advisable but if you were desperate and had it in a rucksack or some other kind of hold all I doubt if anyone would notice unless it went off :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby BrothyBoys » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Thank you all for the help. How hard is the walking in the Eastern Highlands? I have prior experience in backpacking in the Bighorn Mountains in the USA where we'd usually log 10 or so miles a day, but the group i'm going with are all novices.

Thanks much as always
BrothyBoys

Postby davekeiller » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Walking in the highlands is as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.
The Cairngorms have low level walks in woodland or along lochs and rivers. There are also technical scrambles and challenging ridges and plateaux, and most things in between these extremes.

The most important things are to know how to navigate and to be prepared for wet, windy and probably cold weather.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm

You need to be able to read a map and use a compass as you will find most paths in hill areas are not way marked. The paths themselves will be of variable quality.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion