walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Things that make you go mad

Things that make you go mad

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:00 pm

FB_IMG_1540136938381.jpg

Took a wee wander from the Linn of Dee into Bob Scott's & Derry Lodge area earlier today and came across this site.
After all the devistation caused by people starting open fires not that long back, and all the signs asking people not to start and fires, it makes you wonder why some people still go ahead and ignore what can and has happened.
I did my best to dowse the still smouldering fire with water from the burn, but didn't have anything with me to lift the coals used in the fire.
I'm now wondering if I should have or should contact The Mar Lodge Estate.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Things that make you go mad

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 am

I'm sure with the season of mellow fruitfulness we have passed the time of forest fires springing up from sparks caused by someone's nylon jumper. Those "No Fires" signs , being made of paper, board and split pine, ironically make great kindling. I love a campfire, me.

Wicker Man #3A1.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:30 pm

I seen your post over on one of the FB pages, with the usual keyboard warriors. :roll:

The rangers at Marr Lodge had over 60 fire pits to fix this year.

No need for it at all!
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby davekeiller » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:05 pm

It certainly wouldn't do any harm to report it to the estate. They'd probably prefer to investigate and find that it's fine than not know and it flare up in a week or two.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Robinho08 wrote:I seen your post over on one of the FB pages, with the usual keyboard warriors. :roll:

The rangers at Marr Lodge had over 60 fire pits to fix this year.

No need for it at all!

Yeah you always get a few keyboard warriors

Many thanks for your efforts Willie, and for letting us know. We've got someone heading up there this morning to clear it up properly. Unbelievable that despite all the warnings, some people still think it's ok to do this sort of thing! Thanks again for your help. David.

I contacted Mar Lodge Estate and got this reply
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:58 pm

davekeiller wrote:It certainly wouldn't do any harm to report it to the estate. They'd probably prefer to investigate and find that it's fine than not know and it flare up in a week or two.

I did and got this reply

Many thanks for your efforts Willie, and for letting us know. We've got someone heading up there this morning to clear it up properly. Unbelievable that despite all the warnings, some people still think it's ok to do this sort of thing! Thanks again for your help. David.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 pm

I don't like hillwalkers with big dogs not on leads - "ooo he's just playing"
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Having to walk back down the hill after taking all that time to walk up there... actually, this is a true peeve as my knees don't like it :(
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sgurr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:07 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:Having to walk back down the hill after taking all that time to walk up there... actually, this is a true peeve as my knees don't like it :(

An acquaintance is taking her 4 year old grandson up bigger and bigger hills, and finally tried him on Ben Vane. At the top he sighed and said "I wish there was a portal to take us straight back to the car-park". A sentiment that many a knee would echo.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Sgurr wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:Having to walk back down the hill after taking all that time to walk up there... actually, this is a true peeve as my knees don't like it :(

An acquaintance is taking her 4 year old grandson up bigger and bigger hills, and finally tried him on Ben Vane. At the top he sighed and said "I wish there was a portal to take us straight back to the car-park". A sentiment that many a knee would echo.

I've wished that on literally every single descent I've made off a hill :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Glengavel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:55 am

Sgurr wrote:

This is why I like circular walks, at least you get to see something different on the descent.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:17 am

Human excrement at the side of the path.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby al78 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:39 pm

If I do a circular walk involving a summit, I take the route in which the steepest bit is uphill. Much easier to climb a steep section than descend it.

I also find that if I am going to slip and end up on my backside, it will happen on the descent. Leg fatigue and the feeling of having done the hard work/complacency kicking in.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby chigton » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:28 pm

I agree with that philosophy al78. Hence why I never understand why many people go up the main track on Ben Lomond and down the Ptarmigan ridge. The Walkhighlands route description recommends this way as well.
chigton

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:54 pm

No votes for teleporting up and walking down? Less sense of achievement, I suppose, but a more pleasant experience!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion