walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

New kingshouse prices

Re: New kingshouse prices

Postby Moriarty » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:48 pm

No surprise about the prices - distinctly average accommodation around the Highlands are gouging for eye-watering rates in the last few years. Inverness hotels looking for more than London prices. Always expected a newly refurbed hotel with absolutely stellar views to charge high prices.

Having seen the new hotel I think it looks OK - it is less visually intrusive from the local hills than the previous white buildings (and frankly Scottish coaching Inn style is rather crap looking at best).

Given your eye line will be distracted locally by the 'orrible ski centre, its newly gouged access road up Meall a Bhuiridh, the large newish gouged road out to Black Corries Lodge, the large tarmac A82 and a constant procession of cars and HGV's it is rather unobtrusive. ;)
Moriarty

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Very much in two minds about this. Yes prices are high, but they always will be there, and the Clachaig isn't exactly cheap these days. Even the bunkhouse is expensive. However, if they're going to be there, they have to make money in the middle of nowhere, and the overheads will be high. Not overly keen on the aesthetics, but doesn't look as much of an eyesore as it might have done.

I note it costs more to book breakfast with a room £10 a head by the look of it), than to go downstairs to the Way Inn and have it separately (£7). Probably an oversight, which will no doubt be solved by increasing the Way Inn prices rather than reducing the rooms!

Doubt I'll ever use the accommodation, but food might be worth a go as a change from the Clachaig sometime.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby John Doh » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Gruesome brutalist architecture indeed. The old house besides looks a bit intimadated. :(
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby Soldier of fortune » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:36 pm

If you look at the wages offered, adding the cost of buildings the hotel, they also own three of the original houses there and who the people are that are involved in this 'new' Kingshouse you'll see why the prices are so high.
The same group advertise BlackCorries for a monthly fee of over £3000 and they'll get you a cook, more money, if you want.
What I find strange is the materials that they have used, wooden cladding at Kingshouse will look guff in a few years time just look at Costa's wooden cladding.
I remember reading that hey were going to keep the 'ambience' of the old Kings house!! three walls is all they kept.
I think that Highland planning/planners were probably wined and dined to allow this through!

As for the "The legendary Kingshouse" !!!! they knocked the f'ing thing down and "a welcome 250 years in the making"!! they have to wait a long time to come anywhere near the old kingy.
Perhaps we should have an old timers meeting and traverse the new roof.

A final note Kingshouse sits on Rannoch Moor, Glencoe is a few miles away down the A82 and if like the two previous owners the place is lit up by sodium lights you'll not see many stars at night.
Soldier of fortune
Stravaiging

Munros:43   Corbetts:6

Postby Jengaladdie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 pm

It’s now £35 for a bed in the bunkhouse . £45 if you want a breakfast 😧 so that’s where I’ll be
Jengaladdie
Mountaineer

Postby jassinc » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:33 pm

It's a bloody joke the prices they are charging.
Is there a climbers bar ?
Yet there will be people who will pay there over the top prices.
We should all head up there and camp over the bridge then head for the bar and pack it out with our damp and dirty boots.
jassinc
Munro compleatist

Munros:171   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:39 am

jassinc wrote:It's a bloody joke the prices they are charging. Is there a climbers bar ? Yet there will be people who will pay there over the top prices. We should all head up there and camp over the bridge then head for the bar and pack it out with our damp and dirty boots.

There is a climbers' bar in the separate building which has the bunkhouse attached, the 'Way Inn'. People having more money than others is not a crime, and throwing a tantrum by camping and sulking in your damp and dirty boots wont do anything but make you look daft. I hope camping in the old place is stopped, it was horribly unhygienic and spoiled the place. Of course we all have nostalgia for old times (I'm an old timer myself) but we just have to move on. The Way Inn will no doubt be the place of happy memories for many.

Glen Coe climb#4r.jpg
Glen Coe 1992

Glen Coe climb#1r.jpg
Aonach Dubh 1992

Blood axeiir.jpg
Blood Axe: Stubai Sierra Extremes 1992

GlenCoe#2hdrsvR.jpg
Bidean 1994
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
jassinc wrote:It's a bloody joke the prices they are charging. Is there a climbers bar ? Yet there will be people who will pay there over the top prices. We should all head up there and camp over the bridge then head for the bar and pack it out with our damp and dirty boots.

There is a climbers' bar in the separate building which has the bunkhouse attached, the 'Way Inn'. People having more money than others is not a crime, and throwing a tantrum by camping and sulking in your damp and dirty boots wont do anything but make you look daft. I hope camping in the old place is stopped, it was horribly unhygienic and spoiled the place. Of course we all have nostalgia for old times (I'm an old timer myself) but we just have to move on. The Way Inn will no doubt be the place of happy memories for many.

The issue is not about some people having more money that others, the issue is that the accommodation prices are OTT. Britain is already an expensive country to live, we don't need any more rip offs.

I can easily afford the tarrif if I really wanted to stay there but it is pointless given there is much better value accommodation available not too far away. Time will tell in the end, if the prices really are OTT then people won't stay there and they will have to lower them.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sgurr » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Given that there is a ready supply of walkers doing a "once in a lifetime" holiday of the West Highland Way, one of whose normal sections lands here, I imagine that there are enough punters to pay up "just this once".
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:02 pm

I don't think there will be any shortage of takers at those prices.

Post Brexit the place will be full of European and American tourists living it up on the weak pound and we will be trying to swap tartan rugs and antler carvings for levis and coca cola.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Sgurr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:55 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:I don't think there will be any shortage of takers at those prices.

Post Brexit the place will be full of European and American tourists living it up on the weak pound and we will be trying to swap tartan rugs and antler carvings for levis and coca cola.

Speak for yourself. At the rate I carve, I would want MUCH more for my antler carvings than levis and coke.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:46 am

rgf101 wrote:I think we should have a whipround and send Caberfeidh to check it out for us.

Well, I went in for a look yesterday. I set off to explore Rannoch Moor in search of the lost doss but quailed at the horizontal high-velocity rain and dreich curtains of driving mist. I carried on to Glen Coe where the weather was if anything even worse, funnelled and concentrated between the Three Sisters and the Aonach Eagach. So I used the time to explore the new improved Kingshouse. There is improved parking, with room for many cars. There are landscaped areas with ponds which will look very nice indeed when they have naturalised. One enters through an outer door into a large lobby/reception area. Another door takes you through to the bar; a large open-plan area with barrels and seats, tables and chairs. There were a lot of people in, not many looked like hillwalking types, most seemed like city folk out for the day in the car. I wandered about the bar looking for the toilets and had to go back through to reception where the receptionist was obviously tiring of telling people where the toilets are. The toilets are to the right and across the lobby when you enter the outer door. The toilets are too small, just not enough provision for the large size of the bar area. In the bar I asked for a coffee and paid for it - only £2.95 or thereabouts, scones were £1.50. Or would have been if I had got there earlier; they were sold out. The bonnie wee lass behind the bar told me to take a seat and my coffee would be brought over. About twenty minutes later a bloke brought my coffee. The windows give great views of the surrounding scenery, which is an improvement on the old place. I perused the menu and the prices were surprisingly ok with a decent choice of meals but the time it took to get my coffee put me off. I would likely be an hour waiting for a meal so I finished my coffee and skulked off to the Drovers' at Inverarnan. Which was stowed out and I drove home hungry and grumpy. I got the impression the Kingshouse owners had not figured how busy it will get. Toilets too small, not enough staff, taking too long with even just a coffee. Maybe they are doing what so many do, being too stingy and scrimping on staff numbers. They had better up their game before the season really kicks off. And get a sign pointing out where the toilets are to save that poor receptionist. The building itself is not such an eyesore as I had feared, it seems to fit in to the moorland quite well. I suspect they may regret lowering the river bank, that's going to flood in a spate.

IMG_1608#r.jpg
Nice views of the weather out there. This will have tourists agog when the weather improves.

IMG_1607#pr.jpg
Menu- good choice at fair prices

IMG_1610#pr.jpg
The building fits in quite well. They may want to whitewash the old inn...

IMG_1611#pr.jpg
That river bank wants building up...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:24 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
rgf101 wrote: not enough staff, taking too long with even just a coffee.

Oh dear, South East England crapness migrates north.

Over £13 for fish and chips is a bit steep. You'll pay considerably less than that at a motorway service station.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:52 pm

al78 wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:
rgf101 wrote: not enough staff, taking too long with even just a coffee.

Oh dear, South East England crapness migrates north.

Over £13 for fish and chips is a bit steep. You'll pay considerably less than that at a motorway service station.

Indeed, but then you'd be sitting in a crappy motorway service station, not a plush and nicely appointed highland hotel. The price is no different from most other pubs and hotels around the west highlands. I did not check out their beer prices as I was driving, I guess the real benchmark is the price of a pint! :D Once they really get started and iron out the problems I think this will be a good asset to the area, those of us who prefer less posh surroundings can go to the ski area cafe/bar - remember on this website we are hikers and climbers, many others are not and want a bit more in the way of luxury. The wooden building which once housed the Way Inn was closed, maybe that will open up when the season gets busy. p.s. No-one looked bothered by my big hiking boots and scruffy clothing, but then I had not been hiking and was not covered in mud. A big rucksack and muddy clothing might be frowned upon eventually.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Did you ask if there was a drying room?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion