walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The road down to Kinlochhourn...problems.

Re: The road down to Kinlochhourn...problems.

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:41 pm

This story is on our homepage, twitter, facebook etc.

Road to remain closed until mid 2019
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 am

I can see why employers of folks working in the area of the 'slide' are cautious of the consequence of further slides and for that matter the advisors to hillwalkers going into the area.

The first time that I went to the hills in the area was after a night in the bothy at A'Chuil then over Sgurr Mor, Fhuarain to get to Gairich….a very fine day out in the hills. Bothy also at Kinbreak.

As has been suggested the circuitous route in through the plantation used by the estate on an all terrain vehicle from the bridge near Poulary is a way of getting to Gairich to avoid the slide.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Kevin29035 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Interesting to see the cause of the slide seems to have been rockfall off a crag and not just the ground moving. I wouldn't mind going in for a look...!
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby gaffr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:29 pm

My daughter sent another image of the 'slide' taken from the dam. The resolution of the camera taken image is not great.

When I zoomed in it would appear that the electricity cables have been joined up....minus one Pylon...would that work safely ok with a bigger distance between pylons? also there appears to be a earth moving type? vehicle on the hillside left side of image.
IMG-20181206-WA0000 (361x640).jpg
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Anybody ever accessed the area from the north? It looks like there are a few paths on the OS map although you basically have to go round and/or over the SGS ridge. Would make for an epic day just to get Sgurr a' Mhaoraich.

My plan come spring if the landslide can't be cleared is to park on the A87, head on to the SGS to point 902, down to Allbeithe then hit a' Mhaoraich from the east, reversing part of the WH route.

Genius or insanity? The ascent numbers would be high.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Is it wrong that a little part of me rather likes the idea of the road being blocked permanently, creating an even more remote area than it already is!

Obviously, the reality is I hope that the community at Kinlochhourn are soon reconnected properly, must be a right pain.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby gaffr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:01 am

The Allthbeithe building now all boarded up and with a small scale hydro thing being built and also a road for the construction folks to get the machinery to the area has been built on the East side of Glen Quoich.
The building is the focus for several stalkers paths two of which are on the side of the South Glenshiel ridge.

The one to reach Gleouraich would be useful and the amazingly tortuous path up to Am Bathaich would get you to Mhaoraich. Not absolutely sure where the .902 spot height is?

The area seems to have several other small scale Hydro things above loch Quoich so the road would be needed to have access to these for maintenance perhaps.

Difficulties for the folks at the Kinlochhourn estate and at the wee accommodation place and cafe at the lochside and for less able folks, non high hill drifters, to have a fine walk out along the lochside to Barrisdale.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:17 pm

gaffr wrote:My daughter sent another image of the 'slide' taken from the dam. The resolution of the camera taken image is not great.

When I zoomed in it would appear that the electricity cables have been joined up....minus one Pylon...would that work safely ok with a bigger distance between pylons

I had a look at your picture and compared it to the map. The original pylons apart from the one that was taken out would probably not be in your picture. I think what you are seeing is temporary structures, maybe wooden poles, put in to carry the powerlines over the landslide.
Sunset tripper

Postby gaffr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Thanks for that ST. When I have another look at zooming in I can see a cluster of wooden poles. I hope to get a wee look at the end of the month.
Can I ask....what is the point, apart from private gain at the public expense, of having several wee hydro schemes feeding the same water into an area with a huge loch generating largescale Hydro power?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:37 pm

The big problem with these hydro schemes and wind farms is that the main objective is to make people rich rather than provide green energy and "save the planet"
The hydro schemes are very invasive. I've been up that remote road many times and on these hills often. What a mess the new tracks make. Hopefully the scars will be repaired or blend in quickly. They are highly visible from the South Glen Shiel Ridge also.
A nice route into the area over the ridge at the west end of Glen Shiel starting at the long car park on the long straight. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby gaffr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Since I was in the area I have a few images from the area of the rockfall/slide.
Firstly there is now a chain/padlocked gate just above Kingie and there seems to be a few folks monitoring full time what has happened. I must say that it all looks more than a little fragile on the hillside where the huge perched blocks of stone look concerning.
1 DSC02279 (640x360).jpg
looking across from the dam that we reached by following an Argo trail from close to the locked gate.... a few crossings and re-crossings of the burn coming out from under the dam are needed.
2 DSC02283 (640x360).jpg
The old road is either under that lot or just not there any more.
3 DSC02277 (640x360) (640x360).jpg
Just below where the rockfall happened there is a very large insecure block.
4 DSC02284 (640x360).jpg
Looking back after having crossed the dam road.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby abs70 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:00 pm

This might be a stupid question - it wouldn't be my first - but is the road is walkable?
abs70
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   
Hewitts:100
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:12 pm

abs70 wrote:This might be a stupid question - it wouldn't be my first - but is the road is walkable?

As I understand it, you'll have to follow the ATV track, which descends and crosses the river to avoid the whole dodgy slope, then heads up the slopes on the other side of the dam, from where you could rejoin the road.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby gaffr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Yes, the previous replier is correct. There is no access along the road in fact, from what I could see from up near to the dam, there is part of it been completely swept away. As I found on the 25th, December a chained and locked gate barred vehicle access. There are 'guards' on duty to enforce any approach on the road which is drivable for another couple of Kls. up to where the damage is....where the folks maintaining observation of the slide are based.
I think that there are at least three estates? with folks who need to get beyond the dam to carry out their normal work hence the Argo trail up to the far side of the dam and then a crossing above the dam to reach the road to Kinloch hourn beyond all of the destruction.
The folks living down at Loch Hourn have a vehicle each side of the damage and an Argo to connect up with each vehicle by using I guess the way that we have seen.
From what I have heard the solution to all of this is months away into next summer?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:11 am

Progress has been made with the block/damaged road. Access is available for the off-road estate vehicles.
The swiped away tarred part of the road has still to be established. The gate across the road is still in place so I guess no passage for hillwalkers with four wheel drive motors.
This must be greatly welcomed by the folks down in Kinloch Hourn.
1a access to and beyond the dam established IMG-20190208-WA0000 (640x361).jpg
A temporary patch.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion