walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Laundry on the trail

Re: Laundry on the trail

Postby Graeme D » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Chafing can be a big issue with the kilt. Not nearly as bad on a hill walk as on a transatlantic flight in cattle class though! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 pm

I seriously object to anyone using detergents to wash clothes in a loch....that is so irresponsible
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:29 pm

When we do multi-day trips, often expedition canoeing rather than paddling, but as the portaging involved still means going light its probably still relevant, I carry about 3-4 pairs of underwear for a week. Two base layer tops, one bottoms. Thinnish fleece jumper, softshell, softshell trousers, plus waterproofs. 3 pairs each of inner and outer socks.

We tend to do a couple of hard days followed by a short day (or even a day off occasionally). On the short days, I sometimes, but by no means always, do a little simple laundry in a stream with Lifesystems eco type "do anything" soap stuff. Which may have minimal environmental impact but also has minimal impact on soiling in these conditions. I just wash undies, socks and base layer top. Hardest thing is getting them dry, so if its wet for days, I probably won't wash them at all. Tied to canoe/pack gets the worst off, but its normal to choose the damp but clean set in the morning and dry them on the body. I always keep one set, especially socks, absolutely dry and protected in dry bags, for those occasions when you NEED to get warm and dry quickly at the end of a rough day. Next morning, these go back in the dry bag and the damp stuff goes back on.

I'm happy to pull on pretty grim clothing when I'm in the wilds, but I do make sure I wash myself regularly, even if the water is bloody cold! Feeling clean underneath is more important than the clothing I think.

By the end of a week or so, I'm sure my clothing reeks. By the end of the second week, I don't give a hoot. :lol:

I do remember queuing in Mallaig Co-op after coming straight off the water after a tough sweaty paddle at the end of a week out, and turning to notice a remarkably attractive young lady just behind me in the queue. As I turned my head, my nose neared my base layer underarms, which was somewhat of a shock to the olfactory senses. Needless to say, she kept her distance. It also made me realise what I'd put the kind driver through, who stopped when I hitch hiked back to get the car at the end of the trip. :shock:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby davekeiller » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:42 am

Nikwax do travel gel versions of their cleaning products, which should work OK for cleaning things in a sink in a hostel. Things can then be dried overnight in a radiator or in a drying room.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby mluiesp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:36 am

On a serious note, on my last trip to the Summer Isles, I brought a small tarp with me for the purpose of drying underwear (I was kayaking, mind you!) but I didn't bother at the end. (I just figured out the seals wouldn't mind my smell and back to the mainland there's a little campsite with facilities)
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Islands:5

Postby Sgurr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:07 pm

When I did long cycle rides with daughter, I posted a parcel to myself including a return parcel three or four pairs of pants and a tee shirt each. You can do this anywhere there is a post office or any B & B along the route. It also had the advantage that we could post back our maps....brought all we needed along to start with as we were scared of not getting them. (I think it is still possible to collect your mail from a PO, but maybe less POs than when we did it.)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mluiesp » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 pm

Sgurr wrote:When I did long cycle rides with daughter, I posted a parcel to myself including a return parcel three or four pairs of pants and a tee shirt each. You can do this anywhere there is a post office or any B & B along the route. It also had the advantage that we could post back our maps....brought all we needed along to start with as we were scared of not getting them. (I think it is still possible to collect your mail from a PO, but maybe less POs than when we did it.)

Apparently, you can still collect from a Post Office https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/choose-local-collect
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Islands:5

Postby rgf101 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:36 am

That's for online deliveries. The service to pick up regular mail you've sent to yourself is post restante
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/poste-restante
rgf101

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:24 pm

I'm not fussed about washing my clothes as long as I wash me all over whenever I can - plenty of water in Scotland to do that
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 am

Speaking of kilts, does anyone know of anyone is Scotland doing a microfibre hiking kilt?

The Yanks do them but I want to avoid international postage & customs.

https://sportkilt.com/product-category/mens-kilts/hiking-kilt/
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:32 pm

ondrejstrnad wrote:Hi there!

Since I am considering to do a long backpacking trail across Scotland (the Cape Wrath Trail is at the top of my list!), I have come across the obvious question of how to manage my laundry. I have read several articles online, however, they all only seem to consider warmer climates.

So my question is: how do you do your laundry on a long trail (3 weeks or so) if there are no laundry facilities available? How many items of clothing do you take along and do you also wash your soft shells?

Your responses will be very much appreciated! :wink:

If doing the CWT there is quite a few places to do laundry. Although I didn't bother. Just a quick rinse in a river of underwear. As for washing waterproofs forget it they will get a natural wash by the elements. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Another bloody post from yesteryear replied to :lol: :lol:
Who the h*ll is regurgitating them? :wink:
crfishwick

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 pm

LOL I hadn't noticed that. Turns out to be a one-post hit & runner. :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:47 pm

Marty_JG wrote:LOL I hadn't noticed that. Turns out to be a one-post hit & runner. :lol:

Not me getting senile then. :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:22 pm

vondes wrote:I seriously object to anyone using detergents to wash clothes in a loch....that is so irresponsible

Depending on the type of detergent :wink: Plus there are other things that end up in a loch that are more detrimental :D
crfishwick

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion