walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lawers range underfoot conditions

Lawers range underfoot conditions

Postby williamparis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi all, experienced walker going with a group on Sat to walk Tarmachan.

Had a look at walk reports and nothing recent to suggest what conditions underfoot are like just now. I would assume a wetter and warmer than usual Nov means bogtastic but Meall nan Tarmachan and Garbh aren't usually too bad but I know the wetlands below can be a horror show.

Anyone been here recently and know what underfoot is like?

Will
williamparis
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1

Re: Lawers range underfoot conditions

Postby Robinho08 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:36 pm

It's probably just me, but I've never understood why people ask 'ground condition' questions. :?
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby yokehead » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Robinho08 wrote:It's probably just me, but I've never understood why people ask 'ground condition' questions. :?

Agreed. Besides anything else, conditions change so rapidly.

Unknown conditions, amongst others, are part of the adventure and challenge, to me it is possible to research too much.

Will, take gaiters, wellies and perhaps waders! :wink:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby davekeiller » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:10 pm

The question really is "do I need ice axe and crampons because of snow conditions?" followed by "is it so wet and boggy that I should go somewhere else?".

I'm guessing that it will be boggy underfoot in places, but not remarkably so.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Glengavel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 pm

My pal and I did Meall nan Tarmachan on Sunday; wet and miserable and sleety so we turned back after Tarmachan itself instead of continuing the ridge. There were some wet bits but easily sidestepped. There's a fair bit of path maintenance going on.

I did the circuit solo some years back and I suspect the descent to the old quarry might be boggy (it was a snow field at the time).
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Coop » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 pm

Edit.........
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby williamparis » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 am

Glengavel wrote:My pal and I did Meall nan Tarmachan on Sunday; wet and miserable and sleety so we turned back after Tarmachan itself instead of continuing the ridge. There were some wet bits but easily sidestepped. There's a fair bit of path maintenance going on.

I did the circuit solo some years back and I suspect the descent to the old quarry might be boggy (it was a snow field at the time).

Thanks for actually answering my question Glengavel.

I've done the walk before but the two gents coming with me haven't and for one it will be his second Munro - just wanted to provide him with some further confidence hence my question.
williamparis
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:40 am

I was last there in September and ascended clockwise, via the quarry and the corrie in moist conditions. Whilst the corrie has boggy areas, it is quite easy to avoid those and pick a reasonably dry route. The rest of the route is good going on a decent path.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:56 am

I'm not sure exactly what route you had in mind, but it's probably less boggy if you use the lower track and go over Creag na Caillich. I'd also recommend going clockwise: it makes it easier to find the newer path that bypasses the horribly eroded scrambly section on the W side of Meall Garbh.

In general, the ground doesn't dry out at all quickly at this time of year, so it will normally be either wet or frozen - not much danger of the latter right now!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Fiona Reid » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:26 pm

We did Meall nan Tarmachan and round to Meall Garbh today. We ascended starting from the bridge at NN604383 then following the land rover track and foot path to the top of Meall nan Tarmachan and onto Meall Garbh. The path is excellent all the way round that section.

We sacked it (misty and rather windy so the enthusiasm for the circuit ran out and letting it to Killin for cake and coffee won out) after Meall Garbh descending the South ridge back to the track. There's a path but it's pretty squishy so you'd definitely want gaiters and water proof boots.

If you just plan on doing the Munro and returning the same way then you'd get away without the gaiters.

Have a good day.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion