walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dogs and Munros

Dogs and Munros

Postby gavinballantine » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:21 pm

I've noticed this hasn't been brought up too much of late so thought I'd ask other Munro/Dog Walkers their choice mountains to take our 4 legged friends. My spaniel just completed his 10th Munro at the weekend (Ben Vorlich Loch Lomond) and I'm looking to see what mountains people would say are 'dog friendly' (or as far as 'friendly' is reasonably practicable).

I understand there are those who don't appreciate dogs on the mountains, but I'd like to start by saying my springer is well trained off lead, doesn't race up to people etc., and we follow the rules of the land to the letter - especially in regards to livestock etc.

If anyone could let me know their thoughts or favourite mountains to climb with dogs it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gavin
gavinballantine
Mountaineer

Munros:251   Corbetts:3

Re: Dogs and Munros

Postby boriselbrus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 pm

From my recent trip out with Jak:

Ben Lomond - easy going but too busy for my very sociable dog (not exactly surprised!)

Beinn a Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich - excellent day out. Interesting for us both with great views. Jak has to be on a lead all the time though as he is very young, still learning, and given a chance he'll chase sheep/deer/any random scent. He sometimes forgets his training and pulls so instead of the steep decent off the south of Beinn Eunaich we went back to the bealach between the two munros and headed for the track which worked well

Beinn Challuim - very good day, the deer fences which were worrying me have gaps next to the styles big enough to get a labrador through.

Hope that helps, I'm new to the whole dog thing after being quite anti dog for a while. This makes me acutely aware that many people don't like dogs so I'm super careful to make sure my dog doesn't spoil anyone else's day for any reason. Dogs are fab though, mine is currently cuddled up to me and snoring his head off, hopefully dreaming about his next munros!
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby wee black dug » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:50 pm

Although I can't see past the Cairngorms for proper big dog days oot, I think the wee cluster of three at Loch Laggan (Creag Pitridh etc) don't get as much love as they deserve.

I've had plenty good days out there with the dogs, and you can chop & change the routes to do as much or as (relatively) little as you want. Also Lochan na h-Earba is a proper gem of a spot, whether in winter or summer. Never had any problems with too much wildlife for the dogs to be overly interested in - although the place is home to a lot of deer, they tend to steer well clear in my experience.

I had a phase of that being my go-to destination for decent dog walks if I couldn't think of/be bothered to research/wouldn't drive more than a couple of hours to a new Munro. Worth a look anyway!
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby KatTai » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:02 am

I can't say I've done a bad Munro walk with my dogs. All the ones I've done have been fine dog-wise. This year I was mostly doing Munro's along the A9 between Pitlochry and Aviemore, I know they are often regarded as boring heathery lumps but that gives good visibility for keeping an eye out for sheep/deer and outside of bird breeding season plenty of opportunity for my dog to run around, which usually is to a puddle or snow patch, or if she is very lucky a mixture of both! They're also really quiet. Of the ones I've done Ben Lomond was the least favourite and not one I'm keen to re-do though I will with my new boy since we'll be starting back at 0 next year :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby gavinballantine » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:09 am

Many thanks so far! We're up in Aviemore in a couple of weeks so will have a look at all of the options. Really enjoy climbing hills with the dogs - great fun
gavinballantine
Mountaineer

Munros:251   Corbetts:3

Postby Robinho08 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:35 am

There's an excellent article on the Mountaineering Scotland website that may be of use:

https://www.mountaineering.scot/activities/hillwalking/taking-the-dog
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:43 am

The Cairngorms are good for dogs as many of the hills and glens do not have sheep, the land being used for deer stalking or as in Mar Lodge Estate, natural forest regeneration. From Linn O'Dee up to Derry Lodge and the glens of Luibeg, Derry and the Lairig Gru there are no sheep (currently anyway, 2018). Beware of adders in summer and snow in winter - a friend once witnessed a wee dog dying in Bob Scott's bothy because it had been trailing through deep snow all day and become exhausted before it's human noticed. Brush the hound for ticks frequently throughout the day too.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:34 am

Not many Munros you can’t take your dog up - main consideration though has to be their paws on the scree.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby Holly » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:50 pm

I would say it there are far many more you can take your dog rather than those to avoid. The Cairngorms are my favourite for dogs, no sheep to speak of either although mine have done many West ones with no problems. I usually try to read reports on here when planning that include dogs and get ideas of perhaps anything to be mindful of, for example cattle? But on the whole, plan the walk well and enjoy !
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion