walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

parking charges

parking charges

Postby Spade » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Last week my friend contacted me and others, to go a walk up the Cobbler. I updated him on the parking charges, we all elected to go elsewhere. This is just our small group but I wonder who else is now avoiding this iconic hill and others like it, all because of the parking charges. Our group avoid all charged areas. Collectively I am sure there are plenty others, the councils charging these and other areas won't care but I am sure footfall will notably drop in these areas. :( :(
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Re: parking charges

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 am

I suppose they'll still get a steady stream of tourists and Munro baggers that'll want to follow the red routes up Narnain and Ime. I hope people do keep boycotting it as it is the only way the council will listen. :?
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Old Stag » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:10 pm

I use bus or train to get up to Arrochar. Parking charges don't affect us all.
Old Stag

Postby Sandman77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 am

How much does it cost to park there? I'm planning to climb Narnain and Ime soon.
Sandman77
Munro compleatist

Munros:20   Corbetts:1

Postby al78 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:56 am

Sandman77 wrote:How much does it cost to park there? I'm planning to climb Narnain and Ime soon.

https://thelochsidepress.com/2018/08/01/900-increase-in-parking-charges-at-arrochar/

£1 per hour, £9 for a full day.

The £9 figure is what people have expressed moral outrage over. If you want to avoid paying the full price, wait until summer and start your walk in the afternoon, or just before dawn.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:18 am

To be honest, if people are avoid the location due to the parking charges then the council will believe that they have done their job. They can point to the empty spaces and say that they are clearly providing enough spaces because they are always free.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:To be honest, if people are avoid the location due to the parking charges then the council will believe that they have done their job. They can point to the empty spaces and say that they are clearly providing enough spaces because they are always free.

The council increased the charges because they're cash strapped. Hitting them in the pocket is the only way they'll take notice.

Although I don't think they'll back down on this one regardless.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby KatTai » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:41 pm

al78 wrote:
The £9 figure is what people have expressed moral outrage over. If you want to avoid paying the full price, wait until summer and start your walk in the afternoon, or just before dawn.

That's a really good idea! Never thought of doing it that way and as an added bonus starting at dawn the roads will be a lot quieter too. I might do that next year :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Sandman77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:11 pm

£9! I wasn't expecting it to be that much. :shock:
Sandman77
Munro compleatist

Munros:20   Corbetts:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:49 am

It's a diabolical liberty, I don't mind paying a bit for the upkeep of car parks etc. but this is too much. It is just having to pay for a walk in the hills, under another guise.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:51 pm

Is there no other ascent route which starts from a roadside where a car could be parked for free e.g. a layby or patch of dirt which could be used as a layby?
al78
Walker

Postby al78 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:It's a diabolical liberty, I don't mind paying a bit for the upkeep of car parks etc. but this is too much. It is just having to pay for a walk in the hills, under another guise.

It is a nuisance, not a diabolical liberty. A diabolical liberty would be something like being arrested for a peaceful protest, as what happened to some fracking protesters in Lancashire not too long ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-44941862
al78
Walker

Postby KatTai » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:13 pm

al78 wrote:Is there no other ascent route which starts from a roadside where a car could be parked for free e.g. a layby or patch of dirt which could be used as a layby?

You can go up from near the Rest and Be Thankful :)
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Seamus » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm

In my opinion, it's a total disgrace ! I am with you Spade and I now avoid the area, a great shame as it's a great area. £9 to park c'mon !! Is there a Richard Turpin employed by Argyll & But council per chance !!
Seamus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:29 pm

al78 wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:It's a diabolical liberty, I don't mind paying a bit for the upkeep of car parks etc. but this is too much. It is just having to pay for a walk in the hills, under another guise.

It is a nuisance, not a diabolical liberty. A diabolical liberty would be something like being arrested for a peaceful protest, as what happened to some fracking protesters in Lancashire not too long ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-44941862

What you have there is a Fiendish Despotic Tyrannical Misuse of State Power.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion