walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Info on bridges,North of Scotland Way

Info on bridges,North of Scotland Way

Postby Glenshee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

I would appreciate an update of these bridges mentioned In JButlers End to End and detailed below; the information is from 2010 so there may have been some work on the bridges/route.

I have done an End to End but to Cape Wrath. I am also across to Inverness and fancy doing his route from Canich to JoG.
`The route across the dam at the base of Loch Achonachie between Muirton Mains and Torachility (NH446545) is to be closed permanently from 1 June 2010 'for health and safety reasons'. The fence has already been constructed with large gates, and we were fortunate we arrived on 28 May! No other obvious alternative exists other than the road at Moy bridge.

The footbridge across the Blackwater river exiting Longart Forest near Inchbae Lodge has been demolished by the Forestry Commission 'for health and safety reasons' and is not being replaced. Again no alternative exists - we waded the river, which with 50lb rusksacks was not very safe, but the alternative 10ml down and back up the road (we were staying at Inchbae) was also unthinkable at the time.

The closing of the Loch Achonachie dam to walkers is a real blow and for the present walkers will need to use the road bridge at Moy Bridge (direct along the road from Altgowrie) and thence alongside the main road to Contin. This is very unsatisfactory indeed and I will need to research whether any alternatives exist. The removal of the vehicle bridge at the exit from Longart Forest is an even bigger blow in the short term - the Forestry Commission have stated their intent to substitute a footbridge here at some future date, but for now it seems that there is no alternative to walking alongside the busy main road all the way from Silver Bridge to Inchbae.`
Glenshee
Scrambler

Re: Info on bridges,North of Scotland Way

Postby Essan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Footbridge across the Black Water by Inchbae - taken in 2014

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3844943
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Re: Info on bridges,North of Scotland Way

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:34 pm

works on googlemaps too
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion