walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hill fitness

Hill fitness

Postby rodderss » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:04 am

I'm sure this has been covered before but a quick search yields no results.
I love hillwalking but struggle really badly when things start to get slightly steeper.heart rate rockets and run out of breath so much that I have to stop every 50 metres or so.
48 years old, not really overweight, walk diog a good few miles every day and go hillwalking every couple of weeks(48 hills in 2 years) so I would expect to manage better than I do.

My legs never tire out just run out of breath.

Walked An Sochach Braemar a few weeks ago and struggled so badly it has scunnert me.

Have bought an excercise bike to try to build fitness up.

Find gyms boring so not motivated for that.

Any ideas help appreciated.
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Re: Hill fitness

Postby Sgurr » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:09 am

You'll probably find this boring as well, but at least you don't have to pay for it. When training to go to Bulgaria where we knew each hill climb would be about 1.5 Munros we ran up and down stairs. You can listen to the radio. This was OK until it got competitive and son's friend almost plunged through the glass window at the bottom trying to set a new record for 50. You can keep count by having e.g. 50 clothes pegs at the bottom and dumping them in a box on top. Walking would do to start with. We sailed up Ben More in record (for us) time after that.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jmarkb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:22 am

Can you include some hilly bits and/or walk faster when you are out with the dog?

If it is persistent, then you might want to go for a check-up at the GP - conditions such as mild anaemia or a slightly underactive thyroid can have those symptoms, which are only obvious when you are exercising hard.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby rodderss » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:38 am

I walk at a brisk pace 3.5 mph on flat and had a heart scan in summer for something else, heart in perfect working order.
Can change route with dog to include a small hill.

Stairs is noted and will give a go.

I find I have no appetite in morning so normally head off with only a bit of toast and on route in car have a sandwich .did question if I had not enough fuel inside me and get so knackered I struggle to eat my packed lunch on hill.

Once rested on summit going down is never an issue , I even find myself jogging some sections on way down, just going up is a real struggle and embarrassing getting overtaken by people way older than me whilst sitting on side of paths or lying flat out in heather.haha
rodderss

Postby davekeiller » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:51 am

Eating more might help, perhaps try grazing a bit more rather than discrete meals. Maybe try to stop every half hour to have a drink and a handful of raisins and peanuts (or whatever snack you prefer).
Perhaps also try something aerobic e.g. running, cycling or swimming to see if that helps to improve your fitness.
And if you're worried see your GP as there may be an underlying cause that can be treated.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:09 pm

rodderss wrote: I love hillwalking but struggle really badly when things start to get slightly steeper.heart rate rockets and run out of breath so much that I have to stop every 50 metres or so.

Only every fifty metres or so? You're lucky - with me it's about every ten metres and my hip joints ache! Have you tried walking with a pole/big stick? I find it is good to have a stick to lean on when on the steep bits.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Skyelines » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Even at my fittest (a long time ago) I found that when walking up hill I got out of breath because my breathing pattern became erratic compared to walking on the flat.
I think this is because the rhythm of walking on rough ground is not regular (and the extra effort required).
I found that by adjusting my breathing and walking pace to coincide helped. For me that was to breath in for three paces and actively blow out for two worked quite well. If things got steeper it went to two in two out. I also walked with shorter paces although the cadence was the same as walking on the flat but the effect was the overall speed was slower.

It might work for others, just find a pattern that works.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:51 pm

I may be wrong, but I don't think hillwalking becomes easy, ever. You just blow out your a**e at a faster pace.

For example, a couple of years back I realised I'd walked Mayar and Driesh via the Scorrie almost a year to the day as I'd done the exact same route the year before (the Scorrie is as steep as ****). I felt considerably out of breath on both occasions and thought I was struggling badly both times. It turned out my second trip was nearly an hour and a half quicker than the first. I'd just done a lot more hills in the year leading up to the second trip and was (theoretically) fitter.

I tend to find when walking on the other side of the country I feel like complete rubbish for much of the initial ascent as I've usually drive over 2 hours to get there after about 4 hours sleep. Also carbing up at breakfast really helps. I hate forcing down cereal/porridge and toast at 4:30am but i definitely notice a difference if i do.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby gman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:32 pm

rodderss wrote:My legs never tire out just run out of breath.

Stop/start is good for strength but not stamina, so slow right down when your breathing gets laboured and find a pace that doesn't force you to stop.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby al78 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:13 pm

It sounds like you have the muscular strength and endurance but your cardivascular system is lacking. I would suggest going on decent length walks when you have time (i.e. double figure mileage if possible), doesn't have to be hilly at first but the objective is to train yourself to set a pace you can comfortably keep going with for hours. Over time, try to add ascent into the walks until you hit your limit. When you reach the point where you feel you have reached your limit, push yourself to go a bit further (distance or ascent) next time until that feels comfortable, then try to do a bit more again. It is called progressive overload, and it stimulates your body into adapting to increased workload. You need to do it often enough to stimulate endurance improvements, but not so much that you end up overtraining.

One thing that has helped me with hillwalking fitness is using a bicycle instead of a car for transport. Cycling 20 miles a day to get too and from work which involves hill climbing in the Surrey hills definitely trains the leg muscles and the cardiovascular system.

Fimally, when walking uphill, slow down, go at a pace that feels comfortable as you would if walking on the flat. When walking uphill you have to take smaller steps, which is the walking equivalent of gearing down. If you need to catch your breath, then do so. There is no prize for getting to the top first, walking in the hills is supposed to be and enjoyable activity, not an endurance test.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Driftwood » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:18 pm

gman wrote:
rodderss wrote:My legs never tire out just run out of breath.

Stop/start is good for strength but not stamina, so slow right down when your breathing gets laboured and find a pace that doesn't force you to stop.

A good suggestion. Advice I've heard/seen elsewhere (about general fitness, rather than hills specifically) talks about walking (or I suppose any other exercise) at a pace where breathing is more effort, without running out of breath. As it was put, you could still talk, but not sing.

I'd agree with those who say that uphill still feels hard work even with practice. It's just that your body gets used to doing more, and needs fewer breaks.
And definitely getting yourself fuelled before starting, then smaller snacks as you go. Though not too much, otherwise your body wants to concentrate on digesting, rather than the walking. I prefer muesli, oatcakes and my own flapjack, as energy-dense and fairly slow-releasing foods.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby rodderss » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:18 am

Thanks very much for all the replies.every one offers some food for thought.absolutly brilliant.
rodderss

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Rodders, going up hills is a big ask of your body if you are not used to it. When we were training for Kili we would walk up to the top of Snaefell and back from Laxey. The first trip took us 5 1/2 hours and was brutal, we kept doing it every other weekend (also trying out different kit whilst we were up there; overtrousers, windproofs, backpacks, etc to see which was best for us).

By the 5th trip it took us 4 hours there and back (this included stopping for photos along the way).

As well as the suggestions above, I'd also suggest picking a short hill (something you can climb in 5-10 minutes). It doesn't have to be out in the wilds, it can be your local high street. Something that will get your heart racing. Do it every day, build it into your day somehow, going to the shops, to work, after work, etc. The more you do it, the easier it will become (although it may never actually become "easy"). Don't look to set a personal best on it each day, just look to get the hill done as best you can.

I walk to work every day and I build in a steepish hill, it really helps me, although having said that we were out at the weekend and climbed Cronk Ny Arrey Laa from Niarbyl, a short walk but a brutal climb, managed to make it up in one go but I was blowing hard and envying those around me who could still talk on the tough sections! :shock:
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby rodderss » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi Sack

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing for it but to put in the work to get myself fitter for next years walks.

The walk reports on here , some of them I can only dream of.And do..
rodderss

Postby Graeme D » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:17 pm

I wouldn't worry unduly. I am the same age and this sounds quite familiar. I put it down to having a lung function capacity lower than average for an adult of my weight and build, which has been picked up on a couple of occasions via general health checks e.t.c. On the upside, I can walk all day and all night if necessary, so stamina is not the issue. I would rather that than be able to race up a hill but be done in after a couple of hours.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion