walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Suggested Route - Highlands Long Distance Walk

Suggested Route - Highlands Long Distance Walk

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi all,

I've been looking at doing a long distance walk next year sometime, preferably with a few peaks in, and probably using my tent maybe 4/5 days.

When I climbed Ben Nevis earlier this year, I looked longingly at the Highland peaks north of the Ben, but most of the walks I've seen seem to be along the valleys between them.

Are there any well trodden routes that take in the peaks and ridges between them or are most of the long distance walks along the valley floors?

I realise that 4/5 days on the peaks will cover less distance than the valleys, but I'm not really interested in the mileage, just on getting up high and staying there as long as possible.

Can anyone give me a suggestion? Probably looking to do it around May(ish).
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Re: Suggested Route - Highlands Long Distance Walk

Postby al78 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Here is one suggestion:

Get a train from Fort William to Glenfinnan. From the station head north under the viaduct up Glen Finnan. You can follow this glen over a pass then down to Glen Dessary. There is the option to take a detour up the west side of the glen and knock off two munros (Sgurr Nan Coireachan and Sgur Thuilm).

Once in Glen Desseray turn WNW and follow the glen. This will take you over another pass and down to Sourlies bothy on the shore of Loch Nevis, but again, there is the option of climbing up the north side of the glen and knocking off a few more munros, From Sgurr Na Ciche you can follow the ridge down to loch Nevis and spend the night at the bothy or wild camp.

From Sourlies, walk around the ridge you came down and head up the river Carnach. Assuming the bridge is back up, cross the river and climb straight up the hillside, turn right at the col and knock off the highest summits you can see whilst heading NE at first then north along a ridge. You'll be going via Meall Buidhe and Luinne Bheinn, then drop NW to a pass (Mam Barrisdale) and turn right to follow the pass down which brings you to Barrisdale bay. There is a campsite and bunkhouse here.

From Narrisdale, walk along the bay then turn right (east) following the shore of the loch which has a decent path. Eventually you will get to the head of the loch and Kinloch Hourn, I think there is accommodation here somewhere.

From Kinloch Hourn you will see a big hill overlooking the head of the loch if you look inland. This is Sgurr Mhaoriach. Cimb it, drop down to glen Quoich, there is a bothy at Altbeithe if it is time to pitch camp.

From Altbeithe, take the SE ridge and climb Gleouriach. Follow the ridge in a roughly eastward direction. to Spidean Mialach. Find a route to drop down to the glen to your north and follow the river east (you have to cross it somewhere). If you have the energy, knock off Creag Mhaim, else skirt round it heading north turning away from the loch (Loyne) and pick up a track which takes you to Cluanie inn. From there I think you can get a bus back to Fort William.

I wouldn't call it "well trodden" as such but it is a popular way of accessing some of the more remote munros, and is pretty much following glens but with plenty of options to climb out of the glens and get to the summits en-route. It has the benefit thatyou can stay in the glen if the weather is too awful for summiting.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 am

al78 where is the bothy in Glen Quioch at Altbeithe?
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:06 pm

I thought the building marked on the OS map at the end of the northern thin arm of loch Cuaich was a bothy. I've just looked up a bothies map and it isn't marked on there, so it might be some other building. If there isn't a bothy, there should be somewhere suitable in the glen to camp.

It would be a good place to have a bothy. It is surrounded by the Glen Shiel ridge to the north and the loch Cuaich munros to the SW and SE.
al78
Walker

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 pm

cheers al78, that looks like an epic option! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:40 pm

al78 wrote:I thought the building marked on the OS map at the end of the northern thin arm of loch Cuaich was a bothy. I've just looked up a bothies map and it isn't marked on there, so it might be some other building. If there isn't a bothy, there should be somewhere suitable in the glen to camp.

It would be a good place to have a bothy. It is surrounded by the Glen Shiel ridge to the north and the loch Cuaich munros to the SW and SE.

I thought i might have missed something in the glen that's why i queried it,the place you are refering to is a lodge.I once slept in the unlocked garage/storage unit there on a walk from Cluanie to Inverie.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby mrssanta » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:05 pm

why not have a stravaig in the Cairngorms where there are lots of options and lots of walk reports to give you ideas.
Or the Benalder forest, the Mullardoch round, or up in the wilds of Monar.
We did a fantastic several day walk in the Rough Bounds and into knoydart but the road to Kinlochhourn is closed just now which might curtail such a trip -
half the fun is poring over the maps and working it out in my view.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:57 pm

If your looking for slightly off piste you could do a fantastic walk over the hills going from Attadale to Struy.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:50 am

Some other (quick) suggestions:

Blair Atholl to Aviemore, heading first up Glen Tilt and heading uphill to Carn a Chlamain (Muinro) then turning north and taking a route across the Forest of Atholl summiting Carn Ealar and AnSgarsoch. Drop down into the glen, then head up the other side to Beinn Bhrotain and Monadh Mor. Loking east from here you will see the Devils Point, walk to it by walking around the head of the side glen (staying high) between you and it. From there you can walk up Cairn Toul and Braeriach around the huge corrie, then drop down to the Rothiemurcus forest asnd Aviemore following the Lairig Ghru.

Dalwhinnie to Fort William. Walk along loch Ericht, and if the trudge seems dull turn right up a gap in the forestry to reach the Fara summit, following this wide ridge following the loch which brings you to Loch Pattack. Camp around here and spend a couple of days munro bagging, there are three groups of Munros accessible here. When you are ready to leave climb Ben Bheoil and Ben Alder, and keep going in a SW direction over Beinn a Chumhainn, Sgor Gaibhre, Carn Dearg then drop down to the youth hostel. Next day walk to Loch Treig, knock off the Munro on the west side of the loch, drop down to a bothy in Learg Leacach. From here if you are feeling hard enough, get to Fort William via the Lochaber Traverse, or else walk back to the south of it and use the glen.

The Fisherfield 6 from Poolewe, finishing with An Teallach before dropping down to Dundonnell, where there is a bus service to Inverness.

The Fannichs traverse, including the Fionn Bheinn outlier.

The Scottish mountains are very well placed in groups for backpacking, you are spoilt for choice if you look at a few OS maps. Part of the fun is coming up with linear rouites through the hills which connect places accessible by public transport.
al78
Walker

Postby rohan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:16 pm

I have written up a number of routes along the Watershed of Scotland. They are in the long distance forum l. So far I have got as far as Glen Sheil and have covered a number of Munros, Corbetts and Grahams on the way on multiday wild camping trips. I also recommend Dave Hewitt's book, Walking The Watershed of Scotland TACit Press Peter Wright's book"The Ribbon of Wildness" .
rohan

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion