walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bothy in front of Buachaille Etive Mor

Bothy in front of Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby DizzyVizion » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 pm

So I was wondering about that low and long looking bothy just on the other side of the river from the Jacksonville car park. Does anyone know if it's locked? Or can anyone just turn up and stay the night?
DizzyVizion
Stravaiging

Munros:28   

Re: Bothy in front of Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Do you mean the white cottage? Or the wee dark hut down by the river?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Assuming you mean Jacksonville hut... I've never been inside but always thought it "belonged" to Creagh Dhu MC.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Do you mean the white cottage? Or the wee dark hut down by the river? The white cottage is owned by a mountaineering club, you'd have to be with a mountaineering club to rent a few nights in it. The wee dark hut is Jacksonville, den of the fearsome Craig Dhu; you'd have to be suicidal...

Jacksnvll.jpg
Jacksonville
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby DizzyVizion » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Assuming you mean Jacksonville hut... I've never been inside but always thought it "belonged" to Creagh Dhu MC.

Thank you. That's what I thought but there's so little info available so just wanted to check.

Looks like I'll be in a tent at the Jacksonville carpark again this Friday. Going to take a look at Broad Buttress and maybe get up it if the conditions allow.
DizzyVizion
Stravaiging

Postby DizzyVizion » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Do you mean the white cottage? Or the wee dark hut down by the river? The white cottage is owned by a mountaineering club, you'd have to be with a mountaineering club to rent a few nights in it. The wee dark hut is Jacksonville, den of the fearsome Craig Dhu; you'd have to be suicidal...

Jacksnvll.jpg

Lol, that's the impression I got from the limited info I was able to find on it.

Thank you for confirming it :lol:
DizzyVizion
Stravaiging

Postby mountainstar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:05 am

It's left open, you take your chances stopping in it, be armed with a bottle of the finest malt to help with negotiations, it may be the difference of a good night sharing your bottle by the bothy stove, or being told to go forth and multiply!
There is a story of a certain Chris Bonnington attempting a stop-over in the 70's, when his appearance was met with growls (no malt in hand) he announced who he was, one of the Glaswegian knuckle draggers said "I don't care who the ****you are, **** OFF! :shock: :lol:
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 am

mountainstar wrote:It's left open, you take your chances stopping in it, be armed with a bottle of the finest malt to help with negotiations, it may be the difference of a good night sharing your bottle by the bothy stove, or being told to go forth and multiply!
There is a story of a certain Chris Bonnington attempting a stop-over in the 70's, when his appearance was met with growls (no malt in hand) he announced who he was, one of the Glaswegian knuckle draggers said "I don't care who the ****you are, **** OFF! :shock: :lol:

A bit harsh. The hut was built by and belongs to the Creag Dubh as their own club hut. Yes, their reputation as being hard men (on and off the hill) has ensured it never became an open bothy, but they were and are far from knuckle draggers, a description that does no justice to them as people or as climbers. There's no definitive history of the Creag Dubh, but a good account is given in 'Creag Dubh Climber: The Life and Times of John Cunningham' by Jeff Connor, a hugely readable book about a great guy (who died trying to save someone's life) and one of the most influential climbing clubs in Scotland.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby mountainstar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am

Cairngormwanderer wrote:
mountainstar wrote:It's left open, you take your chances stopping in it, be armed with a bottle of the finest malt to help with negotiations, it may be the difference of a good night sharing your bottle by the bothy stove, or being told to go forth and multiply!

A bit harsh. The hut was built by and belongs to the Creag Dubh as their own club hut. Yes, their reputation as being hard men (on and off the hill) has ensured it never became an open bothy, but they were and are far from knuckle draggers, a description that does no justice to them as people or as climbers. There's no definitive history of the Creag Dubh, but a good account is given in 'Creag Dubh Climber: The Life and Times of John Cunningham' by Jeff Connor, a hugely readable book about a great guy (who died trying to save someone's life) and one of the most influential climbing clubs in Scotland.

Sorry, it was meant as a bit of tongue in cheek joke. I should have chosen my words a little more carefully.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 am

At a mountaineering thing in Fort Bill a few years ago Yvonne Chouinard [the original Yvonne of the Yukon] regaled us with a funny tale from years back in Jacksonville. He and a bunch of others were festering in the hut as the weather was terrible. The hut was a filthy state, with a dead rat lying in a trap which no-one felt like emptying outside. A group of innocents approached the hut, obviously intent on exploring inside. One of the guys quickly picked up the dead rat, put it between two slices of bread and answered the door holding his rat sandwich as if about to eat it. The interlopers made a hasty retreat... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby gaffr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:00 pm

When very young and trying to survive in a rain lashed tent my friend and I spent a night in the Hut...but it was by an invitation from JMcL. possibly that he took pity on our plight. We found it pleasant and warm but would never have entered into the place without being asked to.

Sometime later we also spent some nights in the Drey...again by invitation to this fine wee howff...a bit further down the valley.

For the SMC Lagangarbh Cottage you had to be a member of a organised club such as the JMCS or be associated to the Ferranti club to be in a group using the facility. The 'annexe behind the cottage' was done up by the Benmore folks and was used by them for a number of years but now I think that the SMC now use it for their own folks?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Sgurr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Those interested in the reputation of Creag Dubh might want to look at the following, which the poster has no opinions on whatsoever

http://www.scottishoutdoors.co.uk/outdoors/columista.cfm@feature_cat_id=12&selectedfeature_id=1860.htm
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby DizzyVizion » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:54 pm

:lol: sounds like a great way to spend a night in Glencoe!

A full bottle of single malt Talisker was coming along for the ride with us anyways :thumbup: and we'd obviously be delighted to share it with members of their club should they allow me and my brother in.
We'll take a bag of firewood and hopefully they'll warm to the idea of letting us stay a night.
DizzyVizion
Stravaiging

Postby DizzyVizion » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:At a mountaineering thing in Fort Bill a few years ago Yvonne Chouinard [the original Yvonne of the Yukon] regaled us with a funny tale from years back in Jacksonville. He and a bunch of others were festering in the hut as the weather was terrible. The hut was a filthy state, with a dead rat lying in a trap which no-one felt like emptying outside. A group of innocents approached the hut, obviously intent on exploring inside. One of the guys quickly picked up the dead rat, put it between two slices of bread and answered the door holding his rat sandwich as if about to eat it. The interlopers made a hasty retreat... :shock:

:D hahaha, quite a welcoming sight then :lol:
DizzyVizion
Stravaiging

Postby DizzyVizion » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Sgurr wrote:Those interested in the reputation of Creag Dubh might want to look at the following, which the poster has no opinions on whatsoever

http://www.scottishoutdoors.co.uk/outdoors/columista.cfm@feature_cat_id=12&selectedfeature_id=1860.htm

A intimidating initiation; both serious and informal in equal measure... vicious and friendly.

An experience I imagine has stood you in good stead through the years though :)
DizzyVizion
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion