walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Great Glen Way, do I need a water filter?

Great Glen Way, do I need a water filter?

Postby mluiesp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking on, ---slowly---, doing the Great Glen Way next summer, camping most of the way, and I was wondering if I would need a water filter or I just can buy / get safe water along the way.

So, what would be your advice?
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Islands:5

Re: Great Glen Way, do I need a water filter?

Postby mynthdd2 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:52 pm

get water from burns as high as you can and you should be ok....politely knocking on doors where possible is also a good source (I once got a nice tea and a chat with an old lady in a remote house who gave me a warm welcome as a traveller)(contrasts with old farmer on Offas Dyke who invited me to get water from where he and his horse both shared a big stone trough...)(I can still taste it)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:02 pm

There are water points on the canal, so where the way follows that, you should be OK. Check first, just in case they are locked as they are on some canals (keys normally available). See http://greatglencanoetrail.info/, though it mentions water points I haven't, in my quick browse, spotted where they are or if they're unlocked.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby walkingpoles » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:33 pm

I only know the first half, FW to Invergarry. There are some spots, where you can sit down to have a tea and fill your bottle in the toilets. I also drank from burns. However you never get really high up, to the contrary. I didn't see any water points on the canal, but then I didn't expect any nor do I know how they look. It will be helpful for sure if you can access these.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Sgurr » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:42 pm

If you don't want the bother of getting a water filter, what about steritabs? They are extremely light, and you can carry them in one of the tiny pockets on your rucksack belt, which I also use for lip salve and a tiny hand gel bottle. We have never been poisoned using them and use them a lot in lowland areas. They do, however, taste a bit of chlorine, but who cares when you are really thirsty. Also used them on the ridge between the 2 main Fisherfield Corbetts on a day that was so hot we had drunk everything by the time we got to the first summit, and I saw tadpoles in the lochan we used which was deceptively blue.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Fiona Reid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:13 pm

A filter bottle might be a good option, e.g. water to go or similar. After my other half got a dickie tummy from water on the hills and since that we take a filter bottle. That way there's no worry at all as to whether it's okay to drink.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Robinho08 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:58 pm

For what they weigh I would definitely take a water filter for peace of mind. The Sawyers Mini filter fits on a regular Coca-Cola bottle. Quite convenient rather than using the squeeze bag.

Steritabs? No thanks, drink plenty of that in regular tap water. :lol:
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby davekeiller » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:28 pm

What are your plans for camping, and how much water will you carry each day?
If you stay on organised campsites, then every campsite will have a tap where you can get drinking water, and as long as you can carry enough water for your walk (typically about 2 litres) you should be fine and won't need a water filter.
If, on the other hand, you can't carry enough water to last the day, it would be wise to use a filter.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby mluiesp » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Thank you, all things considered, I'll take a water filter with us, just for the peace of mind and the ability to carry much less water.
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Postby Old Stag » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Abriachan campsite didn't have running water when I stayed there and water is scarce all the way from Drumnadrochit to Inverness so be prepared for that section.
There was a sign for tap water up that way, but I couldn't find the standpipe.
Old Stag

Postby mluiesp » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Old Stag wrote:Abriachan campsite didn't have running water when I stayed there and water is scarce all the way from Drumnadrochit to Inverness so be prepared for that section.
There was a sign for tap water up that way, but I couldn't find the standpipe.

Thank you, that's helpful, as I'm considering to rest there.
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Postby PaulD » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:03 pm

OASIS water purification tablets, there cheap £1 or £2 a strip. Used them years ago and still alive :), I keep some in rucksack. Only a very slight chlorine taste, no where as bad as i thought they'd be
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:98   

Postby jchan1976 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:22 pm

I completed the GGW in September going N to S and took a Sawyer Mini. I was carrying 2 litres of water at a time and that was plenty enough for wildcamping along each day. Only used the sawyer about 4-5 times for water from the streams and canal. There was enough fast running water from various other places especially in the forest / old railway line stretches. I didnt bother filtering from these sources, wish I had pictures to show you, but my phone broke on the walk.
jchan1976
Bird-watcher

Munros:9   
Sub 2000:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion