walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How did you get in in 2018?

How did you get in in 2018?

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Here's the plans thread if you want a reminder!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77549
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: How did you get in in 2018?

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:31 pm

33 Wainwrights - 4 Western and 29 Northwestern - to bring me to the start of the last book and keep me nicely on track for a finish before my 40th birthday in January 2020. Odd outliers. I haven't counted how many Hewitts are included in that, but I'd really like to make it to the Dales or Howgills this year as well - or maybe to Wales for the first time in my life.

I'll set the Scottish targets at 5 Munros and 10 Donalds again and see if I can manage it this time. And maybe I'll finally get up East Cairn Hill.

Long-distance-wise I'm going for something completely different and doing the South Downs Way in April, although I'm a bit worried that I'll melt or fade away or something in a whole week in the far south...

Only three Lake District trips and 19 Wainwrights this year - I'm still on track, but will have to do a good mop up of North Western Fells in the spring. 4 outlying fells around Kendal.

No Dales or Howgills, but 3 Hewitts in the North Pennines, and I did have my first ever trip to Wales, which was wonderful.

3 Munros - but I only started on the last weekend of September, and might have made it to 5 if the snow had held off a week longer! One lonely Donald - but a lovely cluster of little island hills, which were the highlight of my year. But still no East Cairn Hill.

This was far more of a long distance year than I seem to have expected when I posted. I did the bulk of the Fife Coastal Path through February and March, and then not only managed the South Downs Way in April without melting, but went back to the far south in September to try to walk round the Isle of Wight. The Crinan Canal doesn't really count as long distance, but I walked the length of the Forth and Clyde Canal in November and December - and I'm still intending to walk the coast from Filey to Bridlington before Hogmanay.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Sgurr » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Sgurr wrote:Stay this side of the grass.
Hopefully get the last 5 Marilyns that aren't sea stacks.
Accompany R round the last of his New Donalds (5). May as well finish them too, since only have 4 more than him to go.
Go and have a look at some Wainwrights.

Happy New Year to All. Looking forward to reading some innovative and extraordinary trip reports, and sure I won't be disappointed.

Well, I stayed this side of the grass.
Got the last 5 Marilyns that aren't sea-stacks. A plus was getting " Walk Report of the Month" for the last one, a minus was that another Marilyn has appeared (been re-measured) in the middle of the Cape Wrath peninsula and husband's worsening knee makes bagging it a challenge.
Both of us completed the New Donalds.
Looked at husband's detailed diary for the Lake District Marilyns and found we had done 18 Wainwrights more than the Lake District total of Marilyns. Since then have done 44 and finished the year on 119 Wainwrights each.

Read some superb reports of walks that turn me green with envy, as turning 80 next year, I doubt if I'll manage them...one can always hope.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Poorly from a "ticking" point of view. Zero new Scottish Hills.

However, I had two fabulous trips in the Highlands this year;

Winter week when the rest of the country was fighting the Beast from the East but we were in Torridonian/Applecrossian heaven.

Beinn Damph: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=78860
Fuar Tholl: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=78889
Uags bothy: https://www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk/blog/a-room-with-a-view-2-nights-at-uags-bothy

Easter with the canoes at Loch Glencoul, then on the Inverpolly lochs.

Glencoul: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80193
Loch Lurgainn: https://www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk/blog/the-pirates-go-wild-in-assynt

The best new hills I've been on this year were the wonderful Rhinogs:

Rugged Rhinogs: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=84796

Ending the year with a Snowdonia Trip, so there will hopefully be a final fling before the year is over!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Not a great year in terms of numbers, tbh.  Only managed a dozen or so new Blue Ticks before a heel injury has put me out of the game since Sept.

Here's my highlights of the year: 

1) Ben More (Mull) in July in MONSOON conditions; absolutely hilarious!

2) Ben Klibreck - with a fabulous stay at The Crask Inn. Gale force conditions meant I ascended the final 200M on my hands and knees! (I'm c.15 stone!). But a fabulous experience all told.

3) An Sgarsoch & Carn an Fhidhleir - absolutely loved the remoteness of these two. I'd had these in my sights for years and - at last - managed to bag them. Only downside was I learned the hard way about the pitfalls of reverse polarity. (Thankfully though,  those nice people at Silva fixed my compass free of charge!) 

4) Ben Sgulaird - an amazing day on a fabulous hill. A real sense of achievement.

1, 3 & 4 above bagged in the most wonderful company. :(
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:40 pm

I set a target of 60 Wainwrights this year, which I looked like I was going to pass easily by June but lost momentum in July which I never recovered so it looks like it will be 55 in the end. Still good progress on round two. A trip to Scotland in October ended up a total washout, still in the huff about it to be honest :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby PeteR » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Three Munros.........just three Munros.........three very specific Munros mind, but just the three of them :lol:

Oh, and the last 4 New Donalds that I still have to visit.

Beyond that to just keep regularly knocking off Corbetts, Grahams and Sub 2000s throughout the year.

.....but if I still haven't compleated the Munros by the end of 2018 I should seriously consider hanging up my boots :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh dear.......oh my very dear....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's just say, as we end 2018.........."Three Munros.........just three Munros.......three very specific Munros mind, but just three of them" :lol: Pretty much sums up my (lack of) success for 2018 and my expected plans for 2019 :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll ignore the last 4 New Donalds too......didn't do them either :lol:

I did get out on plenty of hills though and did enjoy a superb summit camp on Arran earlier in the year :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby KatTai » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:48 pm

KatTai wrote:Looking at my stats for last year, I covered a distance of 188 miles on my trip reports. Given than I have more free-time with my new job I'd like to do 250 miles this year. 6 miles done today so just 244 to go :lol:

I had to look to see what mine was. I've covered just under 272 miles, target achieved! Not so many Munro's this year though, my lowest Munro count since 2015, but I did bag a fair few smaller hills so including all hills that are ticked off here it is my 2nd highest hill-count.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Well I might not have got up as many hills as I would have liked (I never do!), but I did get a new van, and my wee buddy has really take to the hills so I'm happy enough.
Attachments
IMAG3446~2-690x388.jpg
IMAG3134-690x388.jpg
IMAG3037-690x388.jpg
IMAG3059-690x388.jpg
IMAG3075-690x388.jpg
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Coop » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:25 pm

More than expected and got to the far north for my 1st time
Skye was magnificent and taught me a lesson after a bad fall on sgurr na ciche trio.

" just because you've done the skye munros doesn't mean you're invincible- respect the mountains and take care - it'll bite you if you don't "
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:57+18
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:49 am

Turned out to be a busy year on the hills, even though I didn't have any particular plans at the start of the year.

5 months living in Englandshire at the start of the year meant I could visit some new places (Dales, Pennines, Cheviots, North Yorkshire Moors) and some old favourites in the Lakes, as well as getting me much closer to finishing the Donalds than I had ever intended :lol: .

But the best bits were when I moved back home again. More summit camps (6 of them) than any other year, including some of my absolute favourites (An Sgurr on Eigg and Suilven). More bothy trips (22 bothy nights, including 13 new bothies) than other years. Plenty of islands (Mull, Iona, Skye, Raasay, Lewis/Harris, Eigg and Rum), lots of time spent in the NW Highlands and generally more time on the hills than I'm used to getting 8)

Also ended up hitting my 1000th Marilyn (Conic Hill) which I hadn't really expected, and wasn't really aiming for too hard.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Graeme D » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Poorly from a ticking point of view. In fact pretty poorly in every sense. Only a few days in the Lakes in April and a decent haul of Wainwrights and Hewitts saved my numbers from complete oblivion. By comparison only 2 new Munros claimed and only about half a dozen in total. Not much better on the Corbetts and Grahams. 2019 cannot be so poor! 😯
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby litljortindan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:28 pm

It's good to execute a plan and get something from that but it's also good, I find, to get something unexpectedly good from a walk and I've had a fairly even split of both this year. Highlights were a fine winter morning on diminutive Meall Daimh plus, afterwards, amazing reflections in a still Loch Glascarnoch, some fine cliff-tops on Mull, a fiery sunrise lit inversion on diminutive Foreman Hill and interesting mists around mighty Ben Hee. But really every walk has been a highlight. I've also had a lot of pleasure from many low level walks with my other half.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Big house partial demolition/extension project followed by a few big DIY projects (this is definitely the last kitchen I install :crazy: ......) with just a raised deck to complete resulted in 2018 not being a great year for the hills. Fingers crossed 2019 is an improvement.

Anyway, plan for 2018 was.......

No fixed plan for hills - just add some from various categories
Some longer camping trips incl summit camps - YESish - camps near the summits of Ben Aden and Glamaig
See an otter - NOPE
Try to get to the far north - YES - nine far NW corbetts
Try to get to an island - YES - Rum for the two corbetts and the graham

All the best for 2019 to everyone - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:08 am

weaselmaster wrote:Having become a bit jaded with Marilyns in the last 2 weeks, it would be good to get back to Munros and finish off my second round - only 101 to do - 2 a week :lol:

Cuillin Ridge traverse is back on the menu, ideally Clach Glas too.

Full traverse of Foinaven and a revisit to Suilven, maybe to try for its other tops.

Oh and get the Donalds done again - only 2 remaining.

Hoping for some high camps through the year - weather permitting

Well the Munros were embraced - second round completed earlier than I expected (July) and a tally of 271 Munros for the year - 11 more and I'd have made a full round this year.

Cuillin ridge traverse - oh well, didn't quite go to plan - managed a circuit of coire Lagan from Alasdair to Mhadaidh but convinced myself that i'm no climber. I think the traverse is permanently off the menu now.

Got the Foinaven traverse done, which lived up to expectations. The other 2 tops on Suilven remain safely out of reach :wink:

Managed to second round of Donalds - although since the SMC changed the rules to insist upon all the Donald Tops as well, I will have to go back and do a few more of those to get a "proper" second round

High camps - yes did quite a few of them including a memorable overnighter on Suilven with a superb cloud inversion. Perhaps most pleased with the increase in wild camps this year.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion