walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hiking the Skye trail with dogs

Hiking the Skye trail with dogs

Postby truenaturetrails » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi, I am wondering if the whole Skye trail is possible for dogs. I don't mean the hiking itself, but I saw some video's with big fences which are impossible to cross with a big dog. Can someone tell me how many of these fences are there and on which part they are? Maybe I can skip some parts. Thank you in advance!

Anouk

Attachments
hek.jpg
truenaturetrails
Scrambler

Re: Hiking the Skye trail with dogs

Postby Robinho08 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:28 am

If you go onto YouTube and search for 'Hounds of Howgate' he did the Syke Trail with his collie Moss. He's usually quite quick at answering questions on his channel.

Not sure how he got his passed the bad step though. :?
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby davekeiller » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:48 pm

The bad step is low down enough that you could probably get a dog to swim around it!
I'm not sure how many deer fences there are on Skye, but if you look at the descriptions, lots of the land is used for crofting so it's unlikely you'll come across deer fences there (although keep your dog under control as there will be sheep).
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Old Stag » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:23 pm

The trail doesn't go to the bad step. It goes up Glen Sligachan. I can't remember the deer fence pictured, but there are hunners of sheep on the trail.
I would also recommend the Hounds of Howgate videos as Robinho said.
Old Stag

Postby Guinessman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:57 pm

Did it Oct this year. I think that stile in the picture is on the path down to Keppoch on the route from Torrin. From memory you don't have to climb it, a rough path goes down the side of the fence. Cant recall any large deer fences TBH.

The only section I think which might be a problem is the cliff top path from Elgol to Camusunary. Its a bit thin and on cliff edges in places, dog will need to be on a short lead for a short while.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:04 am

The dogs will need to be on a lead all the time; it is sheep pasture, there are a lot of sheep, and a lot of irate gun-toting sheep farmers. The rock on Skye is particularly bad for dogs' pads, they will be in danger of being torn and worn through.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion