walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

North Shiel Ridge Direction Advice

North Shiel Ridge Direction Advice

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Nice to see all the winter walking started. I'm strictly a summer person at the moment though and looking for advice on the Glen Shiel area.

I am planning to walk the south ridge in a day. Instead of walking all the way back, l was planning a wild camp in the glen.

The following day to walk back over the brothers and sisters from west to east and finish with just a couple of miles back to Cluanie Inn.

I haven't seen many routes posted from west to east on the north side. Starting with Sgurr Fhuaran and finishing coming off Aonach Meadhion. ( Will take another overnight wild camp if needed if it proves too long for me)

Can anyone recommend this direction or is there something l should be aware of that doesn't stick out on the map?

TIA
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Re: North Shiel Ridge Direction Advice

Postby walkingpoles » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:57 pm

I did the north shiel ridge from Morvich to Camban bothy, leaving out the last brother for later (and probably missing the first sister. I don't know which peak is which sibling. I only made sure to climb all the munros). It's a long day, especially with a heavy pack, but the direction doesn't matter.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Guinessman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:11 pm

If it were me I would give consideration to doing the north side first and then dropping into the glen to camp before accessing the south side.

My reasoning is that doing it the way you propose, the path up to Bealach an Lapain is very steep and will be hard work with a pack, whereas IMO if you came down that way the hills on the south will be easier to access, in particular a path not far down the glen to Kinlochourn gives easy access to the end of the south ridge.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby jmarkb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:42 pm

I think the main reason for preferring E to W is the 200m saving in height gain, and arguably better views ahead of you. This trip would be made easier if you can sort the logistics so you don’t carry backpacking gear, e.g. by pre-placing your tent at the Shiel Bridge end and going back for it afterwards, but perhaps that’s what you had in mind.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:58 pm

ScotFinn65 wrote:Nice to see all the winter walking started. I'm strictly a summer person at the moment though and looking for advice on the Glen Shiel area.

I am planning to walk the south ridge in a day. Instead of walking all the way back, l was planning a wild camp in the glen.

The following day to walk back over the brothers and sisters from west to east and finish with just a couple of miles back to Cluanie Inn.

I haven't seen many routes posted from west to east on the north side. Starting with Sgurr Fhuaran and finishing coming off Aonach Meadhion. ( Will take another overnight wild camp if needed if it proves too long for me)

Can anyone recommend this direction or is there something l should be aware of that doesn't stick out on the map?

TIA

It's a good outing. You could make use of the campsite at Shiel Bridge, as we did
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=82325
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. Much appreciated. I will definitely take it on board for next summer. :thumbup:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion