walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking/ Outdoor movies

Re: Walking/ Outdoor movies

Postby al78 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:16 pm

Touching the void. When I saw that it was like OMG all the way from the point of the accident for me. An incredible example of taking on a challenge, something terrible happens, and then it is a brutal fight for survival, and that is before you try and consider what was going through his climbing partners mind when he cut the rope! It all actually happened in reality as well.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Another shout here for Cliffhangar. Utter hokum of course, but some gorgeous scenery nonetheless.

Purely out of interest, is it the climbing scenes that are hokum, and if so, why?

I've no doubt you are correct, but am interested in the disparity between fiction and reality in this case.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby innkeeper » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:52 pm

No one has mentioned "172 hrs" yet. A while since I have seen it but a great film
innkeeper
Ambler

Postby prog99 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:25 pm

al78 wrote:
Lightfoot2017 wrote:Another shout here for Cliffhangar. Utter hokum of course, but some gorgeous scenery nonetheless.

Purely out of interest, is it the climbing scenes that are hokum, and if so, why?

I've no doubt you are correct, but am interested in the disparity between fiction and reality in this case.

Oh its just complete bobbins.
Its also all filmed in the italian dolomites which does a poor imitation of the rockies (the bridge is real though, its part of a via ferrata)
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby dav2930 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:59 pm

SuperMillie wrote:Have to put a shout out for 'Free Solo'

"Alex Honnold completes the first free solo climb of famed El Capitan's 3,000-foot vertical rock face at Yosemite National Park"

Utterly mesmerising, heart-in-the-mouth stuff., would highly recommend it

I'd second that. About an hour or so through the film, after his aborted attempt in the dark, I was beginning to wonder 'will he ever actually do this thing?'. But all the training, preparation, mishaps and uncertainty made his final successful solo all the more amazing. It was an incredible achievement; the crux section (the 'bouldering' sequence) is about 2000 ft above the ground and graded 7c+ :shock: . The whole 3200 ft climb took him about 3.5 hours!! I did feel sorry for his girlfriend though, who I think he treated almost with contempt, and I didn't think much to all his talk about being like a warrior. Great film nonetheless.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:19 am

malrobb wrote:Its perhaps more at the climbing end, but it is outdoors, but Meru was a great movie with Conrad Anker and Jimmy Chin. .... Perhaps more of a survival movie/documentary but Touching the Void was excellent. ....

Both of these I agree are really excellent.

I got Meru as a CD - not sure it's still available.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:34 pm

innkeeper wrote:No one has mentioned "172 hrs" yet. A while since I have seen it but a great film

as is 127 hours :wink:

really enjoyed the film and it showed why people go off into the wild by themselves, and also how easy it is for something to go wrong.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:
malrobb wrote:There is also Edie about a walk up Suilven although I haven't see it.

Have to confess, I was quite underwhelmed by Edie. The idea sounded great... but the finished product on screen was a bit disappointing for me.

I hadn't heard of this movie, will need to look out for it now :)
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:39 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Into the Wild.

Not only a great movie about the great outdoors. But also a Great Movie full stop. One of my all-time favourites.

The true story of Christopher McCandless who turned his back on society to live in the Alaskan wilderness. But his vanity /stupidity / naivety (delete as appropriate ) ultimately cost him his life.

His is a tragic and terribly divisive story.

Check it out online.

The movie itself is wonderful. Directed by Sean Penn. Stunning cinematography that really captures the beauty of Alaska. And topped off with flawless, note-perfect performances.
Great film, sad ending.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:24 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
Lightfoot2017 wrote:
malrobb wrote:There is also Edie about a walk up Suilven although I haven't see it.

Have to confess, I was quite underwhelmed by Edie. The idea sounded great... but the finished product on screen was a bit disappointing for me.

I hadn't heard of this movie, will need to look out for it now :)

Purists object to the fact that the film-makers wanted her crossing a loch AND staying in a bothy, so it messes with your mental maps, as you KNOW that on Suilven they are on different sides. I believe they offered the part to other "national treasures" such as Dame Judy Dench who wasn't up for the walking. Sheila Hancock only accepted it because she thought she wouldn't really have to climb Suilven...that it would all be done with smoke and mirrors...but she did have to. I suppose the story is worth telling as it is about someone who hadn't climbed anything up to the age of 83, and does it. Don't know if it has increased the number of 80+ women wandering round Assynt. If it has, they haven;'t come to grief or it would have been in the news.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby innkeeper » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
innkeeper wrote:No one has mentioned "172 hrs" yet. A while since I have seen it but a great film

really enjoyed the film and it showed why people go off into the wild by themselves, and also how easy it is for something to go wrong.

Sorry could have said it was a typo but no I got it wrong. Also was in Inverness HMV today and got a copy of "The Way". They had sold their 2 copy's "In To The Wild" yesterday wonder if that was down to this Thread.
innkeeper
Ambler

Postby fhaggis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:45 am

Can't get any of the films here on Netflix or amazon prime! I def seen into the wild on their lately
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:09 am

innkeeper wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:

Sorry could have said it was a typo but no I got it wrong. Also was in Inverness HMV today and got a copy of "The Way". They had sold their 2 copy's "In To The Wild" yesterday wonder if that was down to this Thread.

If you read the book by the guy who had his arm trapped and had to gnaw it off to escape, you end up really despising him because he just comes across as a childish, spoilt, arrogant, egocentric little brat. He doesn't seem to have learned from the experience, and still seems arrogantly pleased with himself.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:35 am

The White Tower is great fun and has Claude Rains in it, which is always a good thing.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
innkeeper wrote:as is 127 hours :wink:

If you read the book by the guy who had his arm trapped and had to gnaw it off to escape, you end up really despising him because he just comes across as a childish, spoilt, arrogant, egocentric little brat. He doesn't seem to have learned from the experience, and still seems arrogantly pleased with himself.[/quote]

Totally agree. I couldn't finish the book just due to his arrogance, just read it until he escaped from the rock then gave up as I couldn't face the smugness anymore. I have never done this with any other book.

For me, Touching the Void is up there with the best books I've ever read. Even though the film had good reviews, I expected to come away disappointed. Not at all, superb piece of film making that kept me gripped even though I knew the outcome.

I like Cliffhanger, though it is complete tosh really!

Will see Free Solo at some point, sounds good. And probably Edie for the scenery, if not the plot!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion