walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Newbee - looking for suggestions

Newbee - looking for suggestions

Postby Annabel » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi all,

I'm Annabel from Amsterdam and love walking and hiking. But as I'm visiting Scotland (staying in Crieff) I guess I'll have to prepare a little better then just with my usual Wikiloc.

Got only two days (1,5 really) and as the possibilities seem unlimited, I thought I'd ask for help.

From Crieff: What are the best walks to take, around 3 to 4 hours and considering I'm new to the game. Am fit but also unexperienced. Should I go west towards Killin, Ben Vorlich? Or North to Pitlochry? Will be in Scotland around Feb. 20th.

Many thanks!
Annabel
Annabel
Mountaineer

Re: Newbee - looking for suggestions

Postby simcc » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:38 pm

All of the above is the answer...

From Crieff Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin make a great day and are not too far.
Just past Killin you have the Ben Lawers area with plenty of options. Besides the obvious ones there, I would also recommend the Tarmachan ridge with Meall nan Tarmachan, which I often take groups up and enjoy.

From Crianlarich, there are many more options.

Maybe best to look on the munro/corbett maps here and review some different hills and routes and see which one takes your fancy. There isnt really a bad choice, so I would stew too much on picking the right one.

greeting from a Scotsman in The Netherlands (near Delft) ;)
simcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2

Postby Annabel » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:17 pm

Thank you! I'm just trying to figure out two things: How do I know the amount of time any of the suggested routes take? :wink:
The other is: Will I need any gear?
Thanks again and enjoy the nice day in Delft (I am in The Hague as I type this!)

What I'm also wondering about is going with a guide. I'd really like to challenge myself, just not hurt myself :wink: Any suggestions?
Annabel
Mountaineer

Postby simcc » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Annabel wrote:Thank you! I'm just trying to figure out two things: How do I know the amount of time any of the suggested routes take? :wink:
The other is: Will I need any gear?
Thanks again and enjoy the nice day in Delft (I am in The Hague as I type this!)

What I'm also wondering about is going with a guide. I'd really like to challenge myself, just not hurt myself :wink: Any suggestions?

For the routes, an estimate is made on the route page. E.g.:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/ben-vorlich.shtml
You see that this is 6-7 hrs. The actual time required will depend on the conditions (wet, snow, wind, etc), number in the party, your own level of fitness, etc. For average people, the estimated time is pretty good in summer. In winter, always assume it will take a bit longer. I tend to always be a bit faster than the estimate.

Gear, as in technical gear, normally no. But, you are looking at February, which may mean snow and ice and therefore the use of crampons and ice axe. At present, most tops are doable without these, but you are in winter season and I would expect winter conditions, which can be much more serious (people do die when going out without the right gear and knowledge - but don’t let this put you off an adventure, but do take it seriously).
Warm clothes, gloves, etc, and other stuff (such as bothy bag, first aid kit, etc) is definitely recommended. There are various kit lists available, and I can also send you one if you want.

As you can see, a lot will depend on the conditions and your own experience.
What is your level of mountain experience?

If you really want to push yourself, whatever the conditions, but lack the know-how (esp in winter), then a guide might be a good idea. If conditions are clear and you have experience, then you should be OK.

Depending on your reply to the above, I can PM you some suggestions for guides and kit.
simcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2

Postby davekeiller » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:16 pm

As a general rule, there will be snow on the mountains in February, and you should take ice axe and crampons and know how to use them. If you don't have this equipment, then it's possible to hire equipment, and it would be wise to hire a guide as they will show you how to use it safely. Alternatively, there are plenty of attractive lower level walks in glens, forests, around lochs or up smaller hills.
The weather is very changeable, so the best place to go walking will be heavily dependent on weather. It's best to have a few options in mind and follow the forecast to try and get the best of the weather on the day.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:14 pm

It all depends on weather and conditions, particularly so in winter.
Probably not the best time of year for somebody new to the Scottish hills.
Loads of walks listed on this web site, both hill walks and low level.
Hill walk times for the routes listed on this site are summer times.
If heading for the hills do check both the mountain weather and avalanche forecast.

Weather forecast - http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast
Avalanche forecast - https://www.sais.gov.uk/
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby iangpark » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:14 am

Crieff is lovely! Would be quite a big ask to do anything serious in winter though - I'd research the nearby sub-2ks and corbetts/grahams, not taking in any more than one per day. If it was a blue sky day you could try for Ben Chonzie as it's got a good path the whole way up, is relatively gradual in its ascent and could be easily abandoned should the weather go south :)
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Could nip up the Knock of Crieff, and if feeling energetic, carry on t the top

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/knock.shtml

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38954
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby walkingpoles » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:17 pm

You won't get far and high in 3-4 hours. Check out the low level possibilities. Anything will be nice. That also means that you can ignore crampons and ice axe.

However I highly suggest getting viewranger on your mobile or something along those lines so that you don't get lost in mist. Also be aware of the daylight hours.

Enjoy
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 pm

The Deil's Cauldron is a great winter walk near Crieff.
All the best. :D
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/deils-cauldron.shtml
Sunset tripper

Postby Annabel » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:13 pm

THANK YOU!
All of you, this is so helpful!
Looking forward a lot.
Have a great evening,
Annabel
Annabel
Mountaineer

Postby LoveWalking » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 pm

Torlum Hill just outside Crieff is a nice wee hill with great views. I think there are some walk reports on here.
Lady Mary's Walk and Laggan Hill is a lovely walk all year round.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/laggan-hill.shtml
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion