walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

January munros

January munros

Postby paganshoplifter » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi - new member here looking for a bit of advice!
Did a bit of hillwalking last year, including a couple of munros: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond) in September, and Ben More (and Stobbinian) late October.
I don't have crampons or ice axe (I'm not interested in that type of climbing - yet, at least), but have good boots, warm, waterproof clothes,navigation equipment etc. Ben More had a dusting of snow, but was fine.

I stay in Edinburgh and don't drive, so am reliant on public transport.

Got the itch to go into the mountains again soon. I've got Friday off, so might make a wee trip then.

What I was wondering was if anyone had any recommendations about mountains, (ideally munros, but not necessarily, as long as good climbs with good views), easy to reach, wouldn't take too long (given the lack of daylight hours), and a lack of snow on top! I was thinking Ben Vane at Loch Lomond ...

Cheers in advance!
paganshoplifter
Munro compleatist

Munros:38   

Re: January munros

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:06 am

Hi. And welcome to the site.

I'll let others suggest suitable hills for you - and there are lots.

However, I'd urge caution on turning your back on crampons and ice-axe. Like you I'm not a CLIMBER...I'm very much a WALKER. But even hill walkers should have a set of crampons and an ice-axe.

Even mildly sloping hillsides can be iced over deep into the year....requiring the use of crampons to keep safe on your feet. There needn't be any climbing or scrambling involved.

Likewise, an ice-axe can be an invaluable aid in pulling yourself up steeper inclines and in testing out the depth of any snow patches you might have to cross.

Obviously, if you're early in your hill career you'll not want to rush out and splash money on these things just yet; but they can be a useful aid to us committed hill WALKERS too.

Good luck in your Munro bagging endeavours.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:39 pm

There's almost no snow on the hills just now and not much prospect of any snowfall before Friday. Ben Vane will probably be OK, though it is steep and rocky and even small amounts of snow/ice can make it tricky. These links might be helpful: http://steverabone.com/MunroWalker/munros_by_public_transport.htm
https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/munros-by-train.html

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Likewise, an ice-axe can be an invaluable aid in pulling yourself up steeper inclines and in testing out the depth of any snow patches you might have to cross.

Plus its most important function - enabling you to arrest a slip!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Ben Vane is wet and rocky meaning even if there is no snow it could he extremely tricky if it gets icy.

You can always say turn back if it gets difficult but equally ice could be there on the way down that wasn't there on the way up. Especially as the ascent is up the western side.

Conic Hill had excellent views but it's a long way for a short walk. Have you done anything in the Ochils?
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby paganshoplifter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks folks.

@NickyRannoch I did the Dumyat last summer. Might look at doing the King's Seat Hill from Tillicoultry to Dollar walk this weekend.
paganshoplifter
Munro compleatist

Munros:38   

Postby LoveWalking » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Ben Cleuch is another good hill in the Ochils. Can be climbed from Tillicoultry or Alva.
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion