walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Boggiest Hills?

Re: Boggiest Hills?

Postby Old Stag » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:54 pm

I don't know why people always say Beinn Chabhair. It is fine with one slightly boggy bit around the lochan.

If you think this is boggy try the previously mentioned real bog by Sandy's Bothy.
Old Stag

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:25 pm

Old Stag wrote:I don't know why people always say Beinn Chabhair. It is fine with one slightly boggy bit around the lochan.

I was going to say that as well - Beinn Chabhair is a lovely hill with lots of good non-boggy ways up. Quite a few of the blackspots being mentioned on this thread are only boggy because people follow each other about rather than looking properly at the maps and thinking up routes of their own.

Younger hillgoers (and I'm only 57) don't really know what used to be in play in terms of boggy ground even as recently as 30 years ago. There's not much doubt that a round of Munros was markedly more strenuous and generally harder then than now, and boggy approach paths played a significant part in that. One such place that sticks in the mind (and on the boots, as it were) was the forestry section leading up to the entrance to Corrie Fee - a world away from the easy made path of modern times. Some of the Coe paths were a real mess, likewise both parts of the Ben Lomond loop in places. And not on the Munros but on a very popular hill, the Leny/Lubnaig approach to Ben Ledi was swamp-like for considerable distances - so much so that lots of people used to go at it from the south, by a route now hardly ever used.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Old Stag wrote:I don't know why people always say Beinn Chabhair. It is fine with one slightly boggy bit around the lochan.

Or go in from Inverochlarig. Its squelchy once off the estate track but really not bad and shows off the craggy side of the hill. Would open up options for 3 munros or munro/graham/corbett combos.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:13 pm

prog99 wrote:Or go in from Inverochlarig.

Or go in from Stronachlachar!
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Dave Hewitt wrote:
prog99 wrote:Or go in from Inverochlarig.

Or go in from Stronachlachar!

Now there's an idea, how far could you cycle up Glen Gyle?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 pm

prog99 wrote:Now there's an idea, how far could you cycle up Glen Gyle?

Not sure - quite a way, possibly. When Warbeck and I did it we walked all the way, with snow on the ground in places (November), and although my notes don't say much they do say it was a six-hour outing, so not too long really. Mind you, we were almost 30 years younger.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 pm

prog99 wrote:Now there's an idea, how far could you cycle up Glen Gyle?

Maybe as far as NN359152 ?

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4902003

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/687906
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby rohan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Beinn Chabhair is a fine hill and definitely would not get my vote for boggiest. I would also concur that conditions can depend on weather conditions and route choice. With regard to the track up Glen Gyle from Stronachlachar, I noted this in a long distance TR from August 2017
Down below to the right, a built, glaringly white track goes up Glen Gyle. A helicopter had been flying in and out and vehicles were also heading up it as further up (and very close to where the watershed turns east up Parlan Hill) work was being carried out on the pylons of the power line

ImageTrack up Glen Gyle between Beinn Ducteach and Parlan Hill by Seal54, on Flickr
Given that it was built for vehicles it should be a straightforward cycle up the track to below Parlan Hill.

My most boggiest summit in recent times was Cauldcleuch Head, reached after a period of heavy rain. In strong winds with a multiday pack I had difficulty avoiding bing tipped into one of the many bogs. A hill to visit in a severe frost or after a prolonged drought.
rohan

Postby GillSte » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Nah, none of these Munros come even close to the boggiest Marilyns. Burnhope Bog Seat or Cold Fell in England are way up there if you want a very boggy big hill, but the most totally miserable boggy walks anywhere must be Pibble Hill in D&G, the Slate in Kintyre, Cnoc an Daimh Mor in Sutherland, the little hills north of Loch Ness and many others too numerous to mention. Overall, though, I think it's hard to beat Meall a' Chaise near Lairg, a total bog fest with very little to recommend in terms of either views or loveliness.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby iangpark » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:10 pm

What a great thread. I only have Southern Upland knowledge really, so am limited in my hills; and I tend to walk in fair weather too. Donald-wise, I would have to vote Curleywee from the east (the glen above White Laggan). The boggiest sub-2k I have climbed would be either Giur-bheinn on Islay, Blaeloch Hill in Clyde Muirshiel or Earl's Seat in the Campsies. Worst bog I have ever heard of, hills aside, would be either in Silver Flowe or The Cheviot, but I'm sure the Munros have their fair share. I suppose the thing about hills is that the bog is found on the way to them, not on them.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby AHillTooFar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:28 pm

One I remember although not sure if this counts as boggy or not is the aptly named Black Hill west of Glen Isla near Monamenach. A small patch but I was stupid enough to follow the fence, just glad it was a dry spell.

AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby GillSte » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 am

[quote=I suppose the thing about hills is that the bog is found on the way to them, not on them.[/quote] The Marilyns I listed above definitely have the bog on the top. :shock: I think that must make them winners? :lol: :lol: :lol:
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 am

AHillTooFar wrote:One I remember although not sure if this counts as boggy or not is the aptly named Black Hill west of Glen Isla near Monamenach. A small patch but I was stupid enough to follow the fence, just glad it was a dry spell.

I experienced this boggy shambles on about my 3rd hillwalk. I too stuck to the fenceline which was, erm interesting. There was a pretty boggy patch right at the foot of Monamenach if i remember rightly as well.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby AHillTooFar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:25 am

Yes, now that I think about it you are not wrong. That wide gash in the ground at the bottom.

AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Ali_TT » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 am

Alteknacker wrote:
garyoppolis wrote:Definitely Beinn Chabhair, by a country mile.

The approach from Inverarnan is like Passchendaele.

"The only other hill I can remember being as bad is Sgiath Chuill which is a complete swamp from start to finish"

Also Ben Lui..

I didn't encounter any bog on my walks up these. It's obviously a question of the route one takes.

For me two that linger in the mind are the approach to Beinn nan Imirean from the South West; and the path down Glen Nevis from the top end (the latter has to be undertaken in the pitch darkness to really appreciate and savour its quality).

The approach to Beinn a'' Chlaidheimh across the Strath na Sealga also made a strong impression on me: it was reasonable when I did it after a very prolonged drought (no wet feed), but I shudder to think what it would be like after a period of rain :roll: .

I agree also that Wales has some choice offerings if one is considering locations outside Scotland...

There’s one such hill in mid-Wales called Drygarn Fawr.
Ali_TT
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:83
Wainwrights:68   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion