walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Boggiest Hills?

Boggiest Hills?

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:03 am

I bagged Beinn Teallach at the weekend; a very simple up-and-down quick-hit hill.

There was nothing overly arduous about the trek..... but one thing that really surprised me was just how boggy it was. :( My boots were soaked through by the time I got half way up. (Note to self: buy new boots. :roll: )

I wasn't aware that the hill would be as sodden as it was - this despite a relatively dry Winter so far. 

This got me thinking: what are the boggiest hills you've ever attempted? Are there any that should have a snorkel warning? 

The only other hill I can remember being as bad is Sgiath Chuill which is a complete swamp from start to finish.

Be interesting to hear other folks' experiences. 

LF
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Re: Boggiest Hills?

Postby prog99 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:38 am

Ok its not quite in Scotland but The Cheviot is so boggy theres a set of flagstones to the summit.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby McMonty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 am

Done the Monadhliath trio at the weekend, they were probably the worst I've experienced so far, waders required stuff up and down. Fortunately the bog on the plateau towards Carn Sgulain was frozen but the boots were like wet sponges by then. New boots also on the radar for me!
McMonty

Munros:194   Corbetts:33
Fionas:24   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:16

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 am

McMonty wrote:Done the Monadhliath trio at the weekend, they were probably the worst I've experienced so far, waders required stuff up and down. Fortunately the bog on the plateau towards Carn Sgulain was frozen but the boots were like wet sponges by then. New boots also on the radar for me!

Probably my favourite round of Munros (so far). I did them in the height of a very dry Summer, and didn't have too much of a problem bog-wise. :lol:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:07 am

It's not a hill, but the straight line between Strathcaillach and Strathan bothy on the Parph goes over top quality bog. Scotland's finest I've encountered. Occasionaly the walking poles were too short to find solid ground.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby McMonty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:16 am

I'll take your word for it Lightfoot, after a promising walk in with glimpses of blue sky I ended up walking in clag most of the way.

I'll go back one day, once my recollection of the bog has faded into a very distant memory.
McMonty

Munros:194   Corbetts:33
Fionas:24   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:16

Postby CharlesT » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:24 am

As per a recent post, think Fionn Bheinn would be a contender if we're staying in Scotland. Otherwise I have one or two Welsh ones which would make the grade easily.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby rgallie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 am

I buckled both my poles on 2 separate slips on my arse coming back down Fionn Bheinn on the path above Achnasheen, think I had managed to stay dry until then :lol:
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 am

The Galloway Hills are spectacularly boggy; they even have a SSSI in the Silver Flow - a few square miles of raised bog of such ungodly bogginess that people get lost and die in it. Even the near-vertical areas are boggy; defeating the laws of physics by not running downhill. Of course this gives a prime breeding ground for midgies and they are hellish in season. This ability of bog to stay stuck to the side of hills and not run downhill also makes for the strange phenomenon of climbing amphibians; a sight I have seen in a few places, including two thousand feet up a hill in Glen Callater in the Cairngorms. As I struggled up a gully I noticed I had company, in the form of a toad who seemed quite at home clambering up the near-vertical bog. This brought to mind the hilarious Ripping Yarns adventure spoof by Michael Palin and Terry Jones, "Across The Andes By Frog". Which was filmed at Glen Coe. Coincidence? I think not...

Puddock.jpg
Puddocks ~ born mountaineers.

Across The Andes By Frog.jpg
Ripping Yarns ~ Across The Andes By Frog
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby garyoppolis » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Definitely Beinn Chabhair, by a country mile.

The approach from Inverarnan is like Passchendaele.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:19 pm

garyoppolis wrote:Definitely Beinn Chabhair, by a country mile.

The approach from Inverarnan is like Passchendaele.

Machine gun fire would at least make the approach more interesting :lol:

It's my most hated hill so far. Multiple false summits, knee injury worsened by that steep descent to the campsite, just awful.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Csm8 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 pm

I'd agree that Beinn Chabhair is pretty nasty bog wise, thankfully I picked a cold frosty day with almost no snow and the whole thing was frozen, allowing me to keep my feet dry in trainers!

The approach to Am Faochagach on a wet day during a thaw was particularly grim, grade 5 bog style, had the boots on that day...

I suppose it's all relative though, after a long spell of dry weather even the worst bogs can be tinder dry...like the day I did the fisherfield hills during last years legendary summer, the bog on the way back to Shenevall, dubbed the swamplands of Mordor by a friend, was almost completely dry...which allowed me to out run the swarming clegs!
Last edited by Csm8 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:13

Postby Pastychomper » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Hmm, might have to pay a visit to Glen Callater. A toad would be make a change from the frogs I usually meet in Sutherland.

That reference to "across the Andes by frog" reminds me of a possibly unrelated sci-fi story I read years ago, about a group of reluctant colonists on a damp Earth-like planet. The hero asked the ship's (slightly damaged) computer for an all-terrain vehicle to help him search the vast bogs for the wayward heroine, and it constructed a large mechanical frog with a saddle.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:21 pm

garyoppolis wrote:Definitely Beinn Chabhair, by a country mile.

I can recommend the approach from Derrydarroch as a good alternative - there is a newish, but thankfully not too ugly, hydro track that leads to the stream junction at NN357196. From here, follow the burn and open grassy gully above (no path but reasonable going) to join the normal route at the col just E of Meall nan Tarmachan.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Pastychomper wrote: That reference to "across the Andes by frog" reminds me of a possibly unrelated sci-fi story I read years ago, about a group of reluctant colonists on a damp Earth-like planet. The hero asked the ship's (slightly damaged) computer for an all-terrain vehicle to help him search the vast bogs for the wayward heroine, and it constructed a large mechanical frog with a saddle.

It might just work! Either that or some enormous mechanical heron...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion