walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Best Jan/Feb Walking Destinations (inc. Europe)?

Best Jan/Feb Walking Destinations (inc. Europe)?

Postby Oeykt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:13 pm

I was hoping some experienced walkers/hikers out there might be able to provide me with some destination inspiration for a walking/hiking break in Jan/Feb?

I was hoping for a snowy Scotland, but the conditions looks pretty bleak, so now looking further afield. Ideally the destination would have:

(1) very little chance of rain
(2) have an 'alpine' feel (something like Chamonix/Zermatt/Aviemore)
(3) but trails which dont require much ice axe/crampon use (although we'll take them of course)
(4) really nice day hikes (we'll get a car)

My intial searches have turned up some lovely looking places like:
- Ordino for the Pyrenees
- Sierra Nevada

Thanks a lot for any ideas! :D
Oeykt

Re: Best Jan/Feb Walking Destinations (inc. Europe)?

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:11 pm

Tricky question! The Alps and Pyrenees at this time of year are likely have lots of deep fresh snow - you would probably need snowshoes and be very wary of avalanche risk. On the other hand there is plenty of good non-snowy mountain walking further south (e.g. Costa Blanca, Mallorca, Canaries, Crete) that are likely to have decent weather, but hardly an Alpine feel.
I would not be surprised if there were plenty of snow in Scotland by the end of February, though.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:34 pm

jmarkb wrote:(e.g. Costa Blanca, Mallorca, Canaries, Crete) that are likely to have decent weather, but hardly an Alpine feel. .

To this add Madiera, Corsica . When we went to Costa Blanca, we found most of the e.g.eateries were on the coast and it was hard getting fed out of season in the hills, but the other places were fine (never been to Crete). The Sunflower Travel Guides are great at giving walks away from the crowds in the popular tourist destinations. If you go to the Canaries, Teneriffe is OK and has lots of good walks, but places like Gomera are a bit further from the tourist track.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mluiesp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 pm

La Palma (the island of La Palma) also, has nice choices for walking. However, when walking in the Canaries be aware of the cliffs. They can appear like from nowhere. A question of carrying a map and being sensible, mostly, but still too many tourists have fallen into one of our gullies, sometimes with gruesome consequences. :(
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Islands:5

Postby al78 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:00 am

mluiesp wrote:La Palma (the island of La Palma) also, has nice choices for walking. However, when walking in the Canaries be aware of the cliffs. They can appear like from nowhere. A question of carrying a map and being sensible, mostly, but still too many tourists have fallen into one of our gullies, sometimes with gruesome consequences. :(

I don't see how cliffs can appear from nowhere, they are static things, unless you are walking in thick fog. In clear weather someone ought to be able to spot a cliff ahead of them and act accordingly, unless they are doing the South East England thing of constantly fiddling with their smartphones, in which case the problem is not with the cliffs, it is with not paying attention.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Oeykt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 am

jmarkb wrote:Tricky question! The Alps and Pyrenees at this time of year are likely have lots of deep fresh snow - you would probably need snowshoes and be very wary of avalanche risk.

Yeah, I realise my ideal location/setting is pretty unique! I'll do some research into $now$hoeing.

jmarkb wrote:On the other hand there is plenty of good non-snowy mountain walking further south (e.g. Costa Blanca, Mallorca, Canaries, Crete) that are likely to have decent weather, but hardly an Alpine feel.

Sgurr wrote:To this add Madiera, Corsica . When we went to Costa Blanca, we found most of the e.g.eateries were on the coast and it was hard getting fed out of season in the hills,

mluiesp wrote:La Palma (the island of La Palma) also, has nice choices for walking.

Yup agree, we had a nice break last winter to Gran Canaria though, so looking for something different this time around!

jmarkb wrote:I would not be surprised if there were plenty of snow in Scotland by the end of February, though.

For sure, lets keep our fingers crossed! :crazy: :wink:
Oeykt

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Oeykt wrote: I'll do some research into $now$hoeing.

There are quite a few guided snowshoeing trips available from the usual suspects of adventure holiday companies - even if you didn't want to go on one of these, they might give you some ideas about where to go - the Queyras seems a popular venue, for instance.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby mluiesp » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm

al78 wrote:
mluiesp wrote:La Palma (the island of La Palma) also, has nice choices for walking. However, when walking in the Canaries be aware of the cliffs. They can appear like from nowhere. A question of carrying a map and being sensible, mostly, but still too many tourists have fallen into one of our gullies, sometimes with gruesome consequences. :(

I don't see how cliffs can appear from nowhere, they are static things, unless you are walking in thick fog. In clear weather someone ought to be able to spot a cliff ahead of them and act accordingly, unless they are doing the South East England thing of constantly fiddling with their smartphones, in which case the problem is not with the cliffs, it is with not paying attention.

Here we have what we call the "mar de nubes" (sea of clouds). Mountains can raise higher than the clouds so while ascending or descending through that level you have the full benefits of a proper English fog.
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Postby mluiesp » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:25 pm

mluiesp wrote:La Palma (the island of La Palma) also, has nice choices for walking.

Yup agree, we had a nice break last winter to Gran Canaria though, so looking for something different this time around!

La Palma (not to be confused with the town of Las Palmas ) is another island west of Tenerife and a favourite among walkers around here as there are much fewer tourists and the skies have to be kept free from "luminous contamination(?)" with special provisions for city lights, etc, so the astronomers at the Grantecan can explore space and do astronomical stuff. In short, the night sky can be wonderful.
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Postby Oeykt » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:31 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Oeykt wrote: I'll do some research into $now$hoeing.

There are quite a few guided snowshoeing trips available from the usual suspects of adventure holiday companies - even if you didn't want to go on one of these, they might give you some ideas about where to go - the Queyras seems a popular venue, for instance.

Thanks for the tip! You're right; the thought of hiking in a group with strangers doesn't quite appeal, so I've been lifting some itineraries.

Browsing through those I think we might be heading to the Dolomites - still trying to find out where the best locations are; the most inspiring itinerary looks to be around Villabassa thus far. If anyone has any experience that would also be much appreciated.
Oeykt

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Oeykt wrote:If anyone has any experience that would also be much appreciated.

Sorry, I've very little experience on snowshoes (I'm a ski tourer!) but this might be useful if you haven't found it already: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/dolomites_-_ski_mountaineering_and_snowshoeing-7140
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion