walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Coe Hydro Scheme

Glen Coe Hydro Scheme

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 am

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Glen Coe Hydro Scheme

Postby al78 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:53 pm

Transitioning to renewable energy and sustainable ways of living is essential if we are to avoid catastrophe in the coming decades, which will be a lot worse than a blot on the landscape now. Hydro schemes have to be constructed where there is suitable topography. Glen Coe is an unfortunate choice for a hydro scheme, it would be better to choose a valley with low secnic value where it will have minimal visual impact. It should be possible to construct such a scheme to blend in as naturally as possible with the surroundings. I would prefer offshore wind farms as far as minimilising visual intrusion goes. Unfortunately, to supply the UK with 100% renewable energy requires country-sized renewable generation facilities, so it is going to be a case of either having wind/solar farms covering thousands of square km, importing renewable energy from abroad (maybe putting solar generation facilities in other peoples deserts), or drastically cutting down our per person energy consumption, which will require that ugly phrase known as lifestyle changes. Whatever route we go, it is going to require some difficult choices somewhere.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:12 pm

The irony, of course, is that in order to protect the environment we apparently have to desecrate our upland areas with hydro schemes and windfarms.
Given that the old aluminium smelter in Kinlochleven used hydro power, I can see that there's a case for saying that hydro has been in the area for 100 years already. I suspect that the proposals will be scaled back when they "listen" to opinion, or am I just being cynical?
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:45 pm

davekeiller wrote: I suspect that the proposals will be scaled back when they "listen" to opinion, or am I just being cynical?

It's the same old story, submit proposals they know are going to have objections raised against them, proposals are upheld, the company's go away ammended and re submit scaled back proposals and there passed.
The thing here is, the scaled back proposals were always the preferred option for these companies, how folks are that gullible to think otherwise is beyond me
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Tidal turbines are the way forward, not pitifully small hydro-electric schemes on scenic rivers in tourism-dependant areas.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Tidal turbines are the way forward, not pitifully small hydro-electric schemes on scenic rivers in tourism-dependant areas.

Hydro schemes are probably cheaper to install/maintain
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby scoob999 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:35 pm

Where exactly is this? i looked on the maps but can't find Inveriggin anywhere?
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Robinho08 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:55 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Tidal turbines are the way forward, not pitifully small hydro-electric schemes on scenic rivers in tourism-dependant areas.

This. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Kevin29035 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:52 pm

scoob999 wrote:Where exactly is this? i looked on the maps but can't find Inveriggin anywhere?

An old name, not mentioned on maps but the bit beside the visitor centre, slightly in direction of the village.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:09 am

Kevin29035 wrote:
scoob999 wrote:Where exactly is this? i looked on the maps but can't find Inveriggin anywhere?

An old name, not mentioned on maps but the bit beside the visitor centre, slightly in direction of the village.

:thumbup:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:29 pm

The Inverigan Burn is named on OS maps as the Allt Fhiodhan, on the north side of Meall Mor. There is another article about it here: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-oban-times/20190110/282862257026679
As far as I can tell , the proposed development is wholly within the existing commercial forestry plantation, and there is already an access track, so in the big picture of micro hydro schemes this is probably not the most offensive.

Weighing up the long term benefits of renewable energy versus scenery degradation is tricky. However, it's worth remembering that micro hydro schemes individually make a pretty small contribution to the overall renewable energy production in Scotland - the one above is rated at 350 kW. Which would you rather have for roughly the same power output - one large reservoir scheme like Glendoe, a couple of large windfarms, or 300 micro hydro schemes like this one?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm

The big problem in Scotland (the way I see it) is the people in government are generally stuck inside their central belt bubble and even outside of the big population areas you never hear of any of our politicians sticking up for the "wee bit hill and glen" apart from a couple of minutes at Murrayfield.

In 1903 John Muir took President Roosevelt out into the wilds of Yosemite on a 3 day camping trip and convinced him to protect the wild land.
https://nationalparksadventure.com/the-camping-trip-that-changed-the-nation/

I suggest one of our great outdoors people takes our very own Nicola Sturgeon out on a 3 day wild camping trip in Glencoe, taking in the Aonach Eagach and other wondrous parts of Glencoe, to convince her to stop destroying Scotland.

I nominate Paul or Helen Webster for the task :D but if all else fails maybe Caberfeidh is the person to get the job done. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby RocksRock » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Perhaps if, perish the thought, Paul and Helen failed, then Cabefeidh might take her to sea and apply appropriate old time nautical tortures till success were assured........................... :evil: :evil: :evil:
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby pony23 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 am

For anyone who believes that small hydro schemes are worth it, this letter was in the paper yesterday:

There is an appalling delusion that Scotland can be powered by hydro electricity. In 2012 there was even a press release claiming that 100% of Scotland's homes would be hydro powered by 2017. The 2017 data was recently released so I can now examine that claim.
In 2012 Scotland's hydro generated 4.8 TWh (terawatt hours) of electricity, and Scotland's homes consumed 11 TWh. So 44% of Scotland's homes were powered by hydro.
In 2017 Scotland's hydro generated 5.4 TWh, and Scotland's homes consumed 9.8 TWh. So 55% of Scotland's homes were powered by hydro. Not 100%. And little to show for 370 new hydro schemes.
Yet another tall tale on renewables debunked.
pony23
Hill Bagger

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:15 pm

I’m far from convinced that Hydro schemes around Glen Coe are a great idea.

However,

In 2012 there was even a press release claiming that 100% of Scotland's homes would be hydro powered by 2017.

I’ve never heard of this claim. Which is quoted by pony23 quoting a ‘letter in the paper’ from ‘somebody’.

In 2017 Scotland's hydro generated 5.4 TWh, and Scotland's homes consumed 9.8 TWh. So 55% of Scotland's homes were powered by hydro. Not 100%.

This is obviously complete nonsense. The main source of energy is my house, like a great many houses across Scotland is gas.

As for electricity according to http://www.hi-energy.org.uk/renewables/hydro-energy.htm Hydro power produces about 12% Scotland’s electricity. And there is plenty of scope for increasing that figure.

Renewables, according to https://www2.gov.scot/Resource/0054/00541605.pdf generated 54% of Scotland’s electricity in 2015.

Scotland is making great progress in terms of moving to renewables for electricity production.

However electrcity is just one energy source. We are, as my wee hoose demonstrates, still very much dependant on oil and gas the for bulk of our day to day energy.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion