walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Almost trackless 7 day summer hike suggestions wanted

Re: Almost trackless 7 day summer hike suggestions wanted

Postby prog99 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:29 pm

tian wrote:If BA will bring us to Inverness this friday, we thought about hiking this route. It's not almost trackless, but still for some parts. Anyone can tell me if we will be fine with this route, or is there any barrier that will stop us from moving forward, like a to deep or fast flowing river? According to the maps we bought ground shouldn't be to boggy if we keep on this route. Is that correct?

Crossing the tarf can sometimes be problematic depending on how wet it's been.
The area between Devils' Point and Monadh Mhor is more complex than it may appear on the map with a nice boggy section at the low point between them.

How many days are you expecting to take?
prog99
Walker

Postby tian » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:53 pm

We are expecting 6.5 days now, starting this saturday in Blair Atholl and be in Aviemore Friday Evening.
Pictures I saw from Tarf Water doesn't look to bad, will water get higher than our hips? My wife is small ;)
tian
Munro compleatist

Postby tian » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Weather Forecast doesn't look good for the next days/the next week, a lot rain this weekend when we start and not a single dry day in the next week. If I compare this with the forecast for upper sweden (+25 °C and no rain at all), I guess I choose the wrong region this year, again, after a aborted tour in upper sweden in the last year, as there was just to much rain there so we was soaking wet after a couple of hours our in the mountains :wink:

Does it makes sense to get up high during this weather or should we stick on a lower route?
tian
Munro compleatist

Postby Driftwood » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:27 pm

From a quick look at http://www.mwis.org.uk the suggestion is for "areas of instability", with localised thunderstorms and downpours possible.

The forecast may well change in a few days - though it sounds like unpredictable and changeable conditions. My main concern would be thunderstorms, and not getting caught on exposed ground when one is approaching. The Braeriach plateau, and other summits, would be particularly exposed if they do catch bad weather. Some advice on lightning, and other weather conditions:
https://www.mountaineering.scot/safety-and-skills/essential-skills/weather-conditions/lightning

If the Tarf is in flood, then the force of the water would be more concern than the particular depth - there's more guidance here:
https://www.mountaineering.scot/safety-and-skills/weather-conditions/river-crossings
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:43
Grahams:19   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:19   

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion