walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

JoGLE Route Help

JoGLE Route Help

Postby Billbobaggins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Hi All
I am looking for some help with a route out of Glasgow heading to Strathaven for my JoGLE I am starting mid May. Could any locals comment on the the following general route in the context of feasibility please:
London Road
A749
A74
A749
Dalmornock Road
A749 East Kilbride Road
East Kilbride Expressway
A726 Strathaven Road
I appreciate there will not be footpath all the way and there will be some traffic dodging, but are there any obvious problems with this route which is off Google maps? I live in the Midlands so it is all a bit alien to me sadly.
Thanks in advance
Billbobaggins

Munros:85   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:48   

Re: JoGLE Route Help

Postby Sgurr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 pm

You might do better to have a look at The National Trail and adapt to suit your needs. Roads sound horrendous when there is an alternative

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/scottish-national-trail.shtml
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:11 pm

Strathaven for any particular reason? The Clyde Walkway would take you to Lanark, or you could drop off it somewhere around Hamilton and head south (along the Avon to Stonehouse?)

I mean, as far as I can tell from Google maps, all those roads have pavements. And if you want to keep west and pass through Glasgow, rather than heading over to the Pennine Way, you should - it's a great place. But unless you absolutely have to take the shortest route, I don't think I'd go straight through East Kilbride, and those look like pretty dull roads. Could you even skirt EK to the east, by the Calder?

An actual local might come along with better advice :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Coop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:14 pm

Try and stay off London road or Dalmarnock road if theres an old firm game on :D
All the best
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Billbobaggins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:05 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Strathaven for any particular reason? The Clyde Walkway would take you to Lanark, or you could drop off it somewhere around Hamilton and head south (along the Avon to Stonehouse?)

I mean, as far as I can tell from Google maps, all those roads have pavements. And if you want to keep west and pass through Glasgow, rather than heading over to the Pennine Way, you should - it's a great place. But unless you absolutely have to take the shortest route, I don't think I'd go straight through East Kilbride, and those look like pretty dull roads. Could you even skirt EK to the east, by the Calder?

An actual local might come along with better advice :)

Strathaven looks a lovely place... unfortunately the route is already sorted but thanks for the reply
Billbobaggins

Munros:85   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:48   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion