walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

WHW footwear choice

WHW footwear choice

Postby Bloostar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Thought I’d get my monthly WH donation’s worth from everyone :D. Doing the WHW in June to celebrate my 20th Munro but I’m in two minds going with my good quality leather boots (heavy), getting a new pair of lighter canvassy type w/p boots or just going for outright comfort with my trusty walking shoes, usually reserved for forest trails. Appreciate it’s personal choice but short of tossing a coin, what’s everyone’s experience trail-wise?
Bloostar
Mountain Walker

Re: WHW footwear choice

Postby fhaggis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:39 pm

First time I did it in Berghaus fabric boots and my feet didn't like it. Second time in salamon gtx trainers and not any issues with my feet! Obv if weathers really bad it could be a problem but I'm going to do a long distance walk in April and buying new salamons!
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby nick70 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:04 pm

As you say it's a personal choice, but I would always advocate boots with firm ankle support.

The section north of Inversnaid along the banks of Loch Lomond is particularly brutal. If you are confident tackling terrain that is very undulating with lots of roots and boulders to climb over and step off then consider something else. My own personal take is boots with ankle support. Yes there are other sections that aren't as demanding but when I do it I am camping out for duration, so not practical to carry 2 different types of footwear.

If you are using baggage transfer service then that could be an option I guess, but again certainly for that section I would always recommend boots.

Enjoy when you do it, you will absolutely love it.
nick70

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:05 pm

It's generally more plain hard on on the soles of your feet than hard going in any other sense - a lot of tracks and forest roads and old military road, and not a lot of rough stuff.

I tend to go everywhere in shoes, though, so I'm not much use as an advisor :-)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:13 am

I'd tend to lean towards trail shoes for the WHW, but stick with whatever is most comfortable for you.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby rgf101 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:39 am

I'd say trail shoes for the vast majority of it. The tougher bit at the north end of Loch Lomond, and any extensive patches of mud (thinking of the walk up to Crianlarich, I think) may benefit from boots, but still doable in decent shoes and I don't think it'd be worth the extra weight. Although if you're using luggage transfer...

It's also worth noting that north of that, particularly Tyndrum onwards, you might be getting into more remote and wilder territory, but you're also spending most of your time on old military roads or the like, and boots will definitely be overkill.
rgf101

Postby fhaggis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:59 am

Depends on far your gonna walk each day aswell, I dod at least 20 a day carrying all y kit which really impacted my feet in the boots, again no issues with trail shoes though
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:45 pm

The three things I would choose in no particular order would be 1. Comfort, 2. Comfort, 3. Comfort. :wink:
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby abbruce » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:44 pm

All about the soles for me.

If your walking shoes have good sturdy soles, wear them.

As others have said, part from Inversnaid to the end of Loch Lomond is a bit rough. I find the start of Rannoch Moor from Victoria Bridge is a b*gger to walk on without good soles. Same from the top of Devils Staircase to Kinlochleven.

I'm doing it again in October & taking approach shoes & boots. I am using bag carrier service.
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Bloostar » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Cheers all. Lots to consider. I’ve got good leather scarpas for the hills and have plenty experience but they really are bulky and not good for long treks on flat roads. I’ve also wee kankles (sic) and I think I’ll need to go for support so I don’t break my bones. Lightweight boots I think is the best option and I’ll def. agree with the Salomon suggestion.. my last pair lasted 15+ years before the sole unglued itself. I’m guessing my Adidas Sambas are out though :lol: found a guy on Ben Venue in a pair last year. The wife had 2 inch heeled knee high boots :roll:
Bloostar
Mountain Walker

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:01 am

lots of hard walking surfaces so in your boots some cushioned INSOLES INSOLES INSOLES!!! (avoid plantar fasciitis)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:01 am

PS why is your photo sideways?
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby Bloostar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:53 pm

Sideways? It was a steep hill :lol:

Looks ok to me!
Bloostar
Mountain Walker

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:13 am

if that is the case then I would stick to whatever boots you are wearing in the photo
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion