walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Camping using outer fly

Camping using outer fly

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:53 pm

I'm too tight to buy an ultralight tent and bivvying looks claustrophobic. Does anyone have any experience of just using the outer fly to camp under?

My only concern would be the wind carrying it off.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: Camping using outer fly

Postby fhaggis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:58 pm

Never done it, but it's basically an enclosed tarp! For the weight difference, be aswell a sister taking full tent
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 am

fhaggis wrote:Never done it, but it's basically an enclosed tarp! For the weight difference, be aswell a sister taking full tent

I'm trying everything, I don't understand why my pack weighs what it does when nothing inside it weighs anything :lol:
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:21 am

You could post a gear list with weights and we could suggest where you'd get the biggest bang for your buck.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:24 am

We have used, with our old tent, the flysheet without the inner abroad and in Scotland.
The only problem in corsica was the dust getting into the sleeping kit..When windy a few stones on extended guy strings did the job.
Out replacement tent... A now fine aging Saunders single hooped pole we have used only with both inner and outer.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby prog99 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:56 am

I've used my inner (wild country trisar) on its own when I knew it was definitely not going to rain. Stayed warmer than you'd think.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am

I use a MLD Trailstar which is basically a tarp/tent hybrid and it's fine. You'd maybe want some sort of ground sheet for it though.

As someone else said, post up your gear list to see if there is anything unnecessary.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby rorymch » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 am

Ditch the tent and go bivvy/tarp combo - I use a DD Tarps 3 x 3 and an ex army bivvy bag (not the lightest but very waterproof and breathable) - gives me vast amounts of room for kit/cooking/friends and is much lighter than any tents I've ever carried.

Also once you wake up to views without having to unzip a door you'll never go back to using tents again...
rorymch

Munros:12   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:12   

Postby rgf101 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 am

NickyRannoch wrote:I'm trying everything, I don't understand why my pack weighs what it does when nothing inside it weighs anything :lol:

What does your pack weigh? I've got a Berghuas monster which is something over 3kg empty - but get everything in the right place and properly adjusted and it's like it's not even there, despite being full.
rgf101

Postby fhaggis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm

rorymch wrote:Ditch the tent and go bivvy/tarp combo - I use a DD Tarps 3 x 3 and an ex army bivvy bag (not the lightest but very waterproof and breathable) - gives me vast amounts of room for kit/cooking/friends and is much lighter than any tents I've ever carried.

Also once you wake up to views without having to unzip a door you'll never go back to using tents again...

One question...midges??
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:41 pm

Thanks all. I'll come back to this in the coming weeks to see what I can cut. The half bottle is non negotiable
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:05 am

Just a thought: I've been going through a weight reduction exercise in preparation for overnighters in summer, starting with the biggest potential saving, and working down. I swapped an already light (1.3kg) tent for a breathable bivvy bag (200gm), a 2.4kg rucksack for a 1kg model, a 1.6kg sleeping bag for an 800gm model, a 590gm mattress for a 200gm mattress.... and so on. I was quite surprised how much weight I could shed.

I tried the bivvy bag in the garden on a frost night, and it was absolutely fine. Might be worth thinking about....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rorymch » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:14 am

fhaggis wrote:
rorymch wrote:Ditch the tent and go bivvy/tarp combo - I use a DD Tarps 3 x 3 and an ex army bivvy bag (not the lightest but very waterproof and breathable) - gives me vast amounts of room for kit/cooking/friends and is much lighter than any tents I've ever carried.

One question...midges??

Ha, good point - I only ever overnight in the Autumn to Spring months anyway so have never had a problem with midges...
rorymch

Munros:12   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:19 am

I have used the outer without the inner,during the night I had a mouse on my head,lots of spiders and a sleeping bag with slugs on it,great fun picking them off in the morning.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Pastychomper » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:21 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:I have used the outer without the inner,during the night I had a mouse on my head,lots of spiders and a sleeping bag with slugs on it,great fun picking them off in the morning.

Now I remember why I prefer hammocks - though they don't seem to work in most of the highlands for some reason.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion