walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walks for bad knees

Walks for bad knees

Postby Clara » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi there, I injured one of my knees while walking the WHW two years ago and, due to a mixture of bad doctors and bad luck, it took me so long to get the right diagnosis and treatment that the fat pads in both my knees are now inflamed, and I've also developed cprs. The swelling hasn't gone down in a year despite injections and physio so I want to try walking again to see if building my leg muscles will help - I've been out of action for 19 months now so have lost a lot of muscle.

Has anyone been walking with fat pad inflammation or does anyone know of any gentle walks that might be good to try and get back into it?

Thanks!
Clara

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3

Re: Walks for bad knees

Postby rgf101 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 am

Have you got any distance / location requests? Presumably you'd be looking for something local and short initially?
rgf101

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Clara wrote:Hi there, I injured one of my knees while walking the WHW two years ago and, due to a mixture of bad doctors and bad luck, it took me so long to get the right diagnosis and treatment that the fat pads in both my knees are now inflamed, and I've also developed cprs. The swelling hasn't gone down in a year despite injections and physio so I want to try walking again to see if building my leg muscles will help - I've been out of action for 19 months now so have lost a lot of muscle.
Has anyone been walking with fat pad inflammation or does anyone know of any gentle walks that might be good to try and get back into it? Thanks!

Swimming rather than walking would be the exercise of choice, as this exercises your muscles without putting weight on your joints. If you must walk then do so on the flat, i.e. along glens rather than uphill. Or take up canoeing instead. Or save yourself a world of bother and have your legs amputated and replaced with a couple of whale-ivory peg-legs bound in brass.

DSCF6396aR.jpg
Take up canoeing instead...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Clara » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:30 pm

rgf101 wrote:Have you got any distance / location requests? Presumably you'd be looking for something local and short initially?

No particular requests. Just something short I can do. Maybe somewhere with a couple of short walks close together so I can try make a weekend of it and do one a day
Clara

Postby Clara » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Clara wrote:Hi there, I injured one of my knees while walking the WHW two years ago and, due to a mixture of bad doctors and bad luck, it took me so long to get the right diagnosis and treatment that the fat pads in both my knees are now inflamed, and I've also developed cprs. The swelling hasn't gone down in a year despite injections and physio so I want to try walking again to see if building my leg muscles will help - I've been out of action for 19 months now so have lost a lot of muscle.
Has anyone been walking with fat pad inflammation or does anyone know of any gentle walks that might be good to try and get back into it? Thanks!

Swimming rather than walking would be the exercise of choice, as this exercises your muscles without putting weight on your joints. If you must walk then do so on the flat, i.e. along glens rather than uphill. Or take up canoeing instead. Or save yourself a world of bother and have your legs amputated and replaced with a couple of whale-ivory peg-legs bound in brass.

DSCF6396aR.jpg

I can't swim, unfortunately, as the movement aggravates it, which also means canoeing's out too :( peg legs sound like the winner though
Clara

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 pm

tried cycling?
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi Clara and welcome to the forum.

It must be really difficult for you given your condition to start to exercise again. I'm sure that you've spoken to your physio about key strengthening exercises that you can do that won't cause a flare up.

In terms of walking, how many miles can you walk at the moment?

I walk to and from work each day and that is about 4 miles a day (including a lunchtime jaunt to the shops), are you able to take a short walk before or after work? If so how far can you get?

I'd suggest building up your initial day to day mileage locally in case you find yourself out on the trail and struggling at the first attempt. Once you can do three or four miles day to day, then there are loads of short walks you can look at.

Also as Mynthdd2 points out, cycling is a good exercise, especially if you have the seat set up correctly for your height, so you are almost straightening your leg on each downstroke.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby mrssanta » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:12 pm

I'd also suggest use poles to help take weight off your knees and make sure the soles of your shoes are well padded to reduce jarring. I would avoid steep downhill until your knees are stronger. uphill seems easier on knees but what goes up must come down.....
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby man in black » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:11 pm

I'm in recovery from a broken tibia plateau and was told by my Physio to avoid any impact on my knees. When I asked her about hillwalking and descending slopes in particular she advised me to switch back going down hill and use walking poles for support. I posted yesterday looking for advice on poles and have been pointed in the direction of Pacer poles. So once you're strong enough to get out again just be sensible and listen to your knees and be like me and invest in good poles. Good luck.
man in black
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   

Postby Emily R » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:36 pm

4 years ago, I fell and smashed my right knee cap, so I know some of what you are going through. It took me a full year to even think about any form of excersise, however, the answer for me was Yoga. It helped my range of movement, and eventually gave me the confidence to return to 'proper' walking. I started back by doing a very slow walk around our local country park (Strathclyde), but I'm now pretty much where I was before the knee was a problem. Good luck!
Emily R
Rambler

Munros:4   
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mynthdd2 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 pm

Or save yourself a world of bother and have your legs amputated and replaced with a couple of whale-ivory peg-legs bound in brass.

I'm not sure if hill walking with a bra on each leg would work....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion