walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Easily accessible hiking tours

Easily accessible hiking tours

Postby flanoer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Good evening,

I'm planning a hiking holiday in Scotland from September this year – I'm looking forward to some Munro summits I haven't climbed yet.

Since I do not have a car, the hiking resorts should meet two conditions, if possible:
The place of my accommodation (hostels/hotels, B&Bs) should be close to a public bus line (I'll start in Glasgow).
Secondly, the way from the lodging to the starting point of the hike should not be *too* long.

I have already walked Ben Lomond & the Arrochar Alps, the Crianlarich Area & Bridge of Orchy, also the peaks of Glen Coe.
My requirements might pretty much limit the number of possibilities – I would be very happy about any suggestions …
Do you have any further ideas for hiking tours?

Many thanks and kind regards.
flanoer
Wanderer

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Easily accessible hiking tours

Postby Holly » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:54 pm

Not sure how long you have but staying around Kinlochleven would give you access to the Mamores and a fine selection of Munros. You are then not too far from Fort William and options to go elsewhere dependent on your time here? I am sure there will be plenty other good suggestions tho :-)
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Bus or train to Dalwhinnie, hike to Loch Ossian YH, 2-3 days bagging the various Munros round Loch Ossian YH , Loch Ossian to Glen Nevis, 2-3 days based in Glen Nevis (Ben Nevis/Eastern Mamores/WHW etc) and home from Fort William.

Or use Garve as your base and then use the Kyle line, the Inverness - Ullapool Citylink and the various bunkhouses (Aultguish, Gerry's, Ledgowan Lodge etc) to bag Ben Wyvis, the various great hills on each side of Glen Carron, the Eastern Fannichs , Beinn Dearg and its mates etc

Enjoy!

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby flanoer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:14 am

Thank you for the previous tips; I will take them into account in my hiking planning.
I particularly like the reference to Loch Ossian.

Many greetings!
flanoer
Wanderer

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby xtina89 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm in the same boat as you!

Last summer I stayed in Aviemore for a few days (direct train from Glasgow) which is a really good base, lots to do/ nice places to eat!

Regular bus takes you up to the Cairngorm ski resort and you can knock off a good few munros round there :)
xtina89
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:10   Islands:12

Postby jmarkb » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Fort William is not the most attractive town but it would make sense as a base: trains to Corrour, Glenfinnan, Lochailort, and buses up Glen Nevis (summer only) and to Kinlochleven give you access to quite a few hills.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion