walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Car parking.

Car parking.

Postby Mitacocha49 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Anyone with the latest updates on parking the car anywhere near Arrochar for the walk up The Cobbler
Googled they have hiked the daily charge on the nearby car park but have they got a ‘no overnighting’ sign there?

What do others do?

ALSO..... Skye.... anywhere I can safely park the car for a week whist I do the Skye Trail.
Don’t mind paying a pub or whatever....as long as it’s a safe place
Thanks.
Mitacocha49
Scrambler

Re: Car parking.

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Mitacocha49 wrote:Anyone with the latest updates on parking the car anywhere near Arrochar for the walk up The Cobbler
Googled they have hiked the daily charge on the nearby car park but have they got a ‘no overnighting’ sign there?

Yes, there is a no overnighting sign: https://goo.gl/maps/DNMHooJc9C92
Are you planning a multi-day ascent of the Cobbler??
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Mitacocha49 wrote:Anyone with the latest updates on parking the car anywhere near Arrochar for the walk up The Cobbler

What do others do?

ALSO..... Skye.... anywhere I can safely park the car for a week whist I do the Skye Trail.
Don’t mind paying a pub or whatever....as long as it’s a safe place
Thanks.

I just avoid the Cobbler.
As for Skye, there is a big free long-stay car park in Portree, down at the waterfront near the Yoof Hostel. Portree is quite heavily policed so I don't think street crime is a problem. Uig has a big car park too, beside the brewery. Sligachan has a big car park but it is busy, you may return to find a drunken hiker has vomited all over your precious chariot, or over-zealous Mountain Rescue types have removed the wheels so you have to report to them to get your wheels back and receive a reprimand. They took down a guys tent in the Cairngorms and he had to go and beg for it back while they tutted at him.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby helenw » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:15 am

I understand that Bayfield carpark (the big one near the YH) in Portree is about to get parking charges - might be an option to park at Broadford and bus to the start
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby Skyelines » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:03 pm

helenw wrote:I understand that Bayfield carpark (the big one near the YH) in Portree is about to get parking charges - might be an option to park at Broadford and bus to the start

Haven't heard of that, Bayfield is the only car park available free for those who travel to Portree for work to park.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Mitacocha49 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks everyone....
Mitacocha49
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion