walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Epic walk advice

Epic walk advice

Postby mairefreel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:38 pm

My husband turns 60 at the beginning of May and to celebrate we want to climb Ben Nevis. However, having looked at a few reports I think it’s likely to be quite treacherous at the top in early May. We will be staying in Glencoe (Clachaig) and will decide on the day whether it’s safe enough to climb. My question is, if it’s not suitable ( we’re not experienced in deep snow) can anyone suggest a suitable alternative in the area. We want a challenge and memorable views (cloud cover permitting). Looking for your advice and suggestions
mairefreel
Mountaineer

Munros:1   

Re: Epic walk advice

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Although there is still likely to be snow on the Ben in early May, there is a reasonable chance that it will be soft enough not to require winter gear. But you are right to be cautious, and to have alternative plans - it can be a serious place in poor weather.

The Wee Buachaille would be my suggestion for an alternative: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/buachailleetivebeag.shtml

Please feel free to check back here nearer the time to get an update on conditions.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:05 pm

How about up Glen Nevis? The views of the gorge, the Steall waterfall, and the hills around the upper glen are impressive, or try the gondola up Aonach Mor at the Nevis Ranges ski area, there's a cafe at the top to duck in out of the sudden stormy weather the Atlantic tends to throw at the hills around there.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Coop » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 pm

The pap of Glencoe is on your doorstep almost. Fantastic views over loch leven and the Ballachulish hills
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:57+18
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby mynthdd2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:00 pm

keep checking MWIS weather reports and plan accordingly......leave it till the last day or two before deciding as weather is all
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:52 pm

jmarkb wrote:Although there is still likely to be snow on the Ben in early May, there is a reasonable chance that it will be soft enough not to require winter gear. But you are right to be cautious, and to have alternative plans - it can be a serious place in poor weather.

The Wee Buachaille would be my suggestion for an alternative: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/buachailleetivebeag.shtml

Please feel free to check back here nearer the time to get an update on conditions.

I'd second that idea - if you are after a challenge (and as long as it doesn't have too much snow cover) this hill is perfect.

Note that it has two Munro summits, but you can get superlative views and a great sense of achievement by just doing the slightly higher one, Stob Dubh with its marvellous view down Loch Etive -https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76100

And I also agree, you should check back on this site just before the trip, you can get current info about snow conditions (and suggestions for easier/lower alternatives) at that time.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby mairefreel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Will research all the suggestions and have a few planned routes ready for the 3rd May. Will keep checking back for any other suggestions.
Many Thanks.
mairefreel
Mountaineer

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion