walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Assynt Hills

Assynt Hills

Postby Susan Buckman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi, I am planning a trip up to Assynt to do some of the hills. What time of year would you recommend ? also any accommodation ( for about a week ). Thank you !
Susan Buckman
Mountaineer

Re: Assynt Hills

Postby jmarkb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Being north-west Scotland, you can get bad weather at any time of the the year! But I would recommend April-June or late Sept-Oct, assuming that you are not interested in doing them under snow! July and August is the least visually interesting season (everything is blandly green) and you rarely get very clear visibility - it's either raining, or warm and hazy. It's also peak midge season, but as long as you aren't camping that's not too much of a problem.

What sort of accommodation are you looking for - hostel/B&B/hotel/self-catering?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby al78 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm

From a climatological perspective, May and June are the driest and sunniest months of the year, and are usually before the midges come out in full force. I am going up to Fisherfield in early June for that reason, but I am under no illusions, the weather in Scotland is very fickle, and you can get anything from a heatwave to a deluge (I've had both extremes in the past). It is said that the Scottish summers are warm and sunny, but very short, only lasting a few hours.

As for accommodation, the Inchnadamph hotel was decent when I stayed there and is well located for exploring Assynt and the far north, can't remeber the tariff but I think it is fairly expensive. Other than that, there are quite a few places in Ullapool but haven't stayed there so can't give any recommendations.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Coop » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:12 pm

Just spent a few days in forest way bunkhouse great place. Iain's your POC

Inchnamdamph hostel is right beside the hotel. It's a great place also and fairly cheap.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Personally i always like a spell in the NW Highlands during May,seemingly endless daylight & before the swarms of midges appear. The Hostel at Inchnadamph is great & i also like the Broomfield campsite in Ullapool which is very handy for the local eating & drinking establishments. Check out the accommodation section on here,you should find something there. Enjoy your trip,it's a fantastic area.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Susan Buckman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Thank you so much for your replies . Looking for self catering
Susan Buckman
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:45 pm

I have stayed in several of the properties run by Ullapool Holiday Homes ( https://www.ullapoolholidayhomes.com/ ) which have all been very comfortable and well-appointed. Diane who manages them is friendly, helpful and efficient.

I can also recommend these ones: https://www.ardmairbaycottages.co.uk/

The area has become very popular in the last few years, which has meant limited availability and higher prices, unfortunately.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby helenw » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:42 pm

plenty of walker-friendly self catering options in Assynt here
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion