walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Final Wishes

Final Wishes

Postby Mentalhibby » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Hello all. Sadly my family are facing the loss of a wonderful, brave younger brother. Tragically he's facing his final few months of life having contracted mesothelioma. At only 51 and with a young family it's such a tragedy watching this previously strong, ultra fit, competitive mountain biker starting to waste away.
While talking with my brother we broached the subject of burial or cremation. As an exiled Scot I mentioned I wanted to have my ashes left in Dawyck Gardens near my hometown of Peebles. He in turn has requested his ashes are left on top of a munro.
So I find myself here to ask you ladies and gentlemen where in your opinion, would be the best spot for my brothers remains to be scattered. I'm sorry this is a sad request but your input would be gratefully received.
Mentalhibby
Munro compleatist

Re: Final Wishes

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:36 am

There's some advice from the MCoS here - there have been problems on very popular hills with large amounts of ashes left in a very small area.

So in general, a quieter hill, and a spot not right at the summit and away from the paths. But there are plenty of hills out there - does your brother have strong links to any particular area?
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:38 am

I don't like to come in with criticism at a time like this, and write this with sympathy, but people having their ashes deposited or scattered at hilltop locations has been a concern for conservation reasons. It might be worth reading this link to learn of the concerns and of some possible alternatives. https://www.mountaineering.scot/mountain-memorials
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Graeme D » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Very sorry to hear about your brother. Just a few years older than me. Way too young to be leaving this world. :(

I think the advice in the link is good advice. Personally, I cannot think of anything worse than being "scattered" at the top of a popular, often overcrowded Munro summit such as the Ben. I don't know your brother's background at all or his mountain going history but if he is anything like me, he could probably think of numerous special, more out of the way places. I think the advice about burying rather than scattering ashes, and a wee bit away from the main summit or paths, is good advice.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Scottk » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:16 pm

Enjoy the time you have left with him if you can. Ask him if he has a preference-perhaps a couple of places or a favourite biking route. Stand upwind as it goes everywhere, unfortunately I am speaking from experience.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:22 pm

somewhere quiet, peaceful and remote....may Gods love be with you
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am

Sorry to hear about your brother,but has he taken into consideration family and friends who in future years might want to pay their respects,not everyone will want to climb a Munro to do this.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:27 am

I have seen ashes scattered in some inappropriate places - Luss beach at Loch Lomond, for example, where they are trodden on, dogs do sacrilegious things and they lie ignored and undignified. The top of a Munro might be difficult, unless you chose one with a ski lift/gondola to use for access. Glen Shee, Glen Coe and Aonach Mor have such. A quiet spot away from others and maybe marked by a large rock, waterfall or rowan tree, no need to build some cairn, just have natural landmarks. My brother died from cancer two years ago, I wish I could have taken his ashes to some of his favourite fishing spots in the hills.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:41 am

Fullfill your brothers wishes but bury his ashes near the top of an easy accessible Munro. Keep away from the summit itself and bury the ashes in a biodegradable box, probably next to an obvious stone that is going to be around for a while as a marker. That way you can still visit him, and maybe take a wee dram with him whilst he's laughing that he made you climb a mountain to have a drink with him. I hope that whatever you choose to do, your brother goes peacefully and without pain, and try to stay strong for him and those that he leaves behind.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sgurr » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 pm

We met someone carrying his wife's ashes up Ben Wyvis once early in the morning. He wanted to put her somewhere he would still be able to see from his house when he was no longer able to get up there. You might think of somewhere visible from lower down for friends and family who can't climb.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:55 pm

Sorry to hear of your impending loss. That can't be easy for you. But it's comforting that your brother has let his family know of his wishes for what happens after his passing.

There's a lot of good advice already given here (especially about avoiding the actual summit of any hill).

We scattered my Gran's ashes at My Lord's Throat at the side of Bennachie. That was about 22yrs ago. I probably couldn't take you to the actual spot now, all I recall was it was a lovely quiet spot with waist hight bracken and ferns, well off a beaten path. I take great comfort from knowing that's her spot, and the chances are no one will ever encroach there.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:56 pm

Sgurr wrote:You might think of somewhere visible from lower down for friends and family who can't climb.

I think this is a great idea. :clap: :wink:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion