walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How best to avoid being shot on a hike?

How best to avoid being shot on a hike?

Postby derrickfarnell » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi

I live in Edinburgh, and I've started hiking weekly in and around the Scottish Borders. I often see grouse butts, and would like to know how I can know in advance if a grouse hunt will be on? And the same for any other kind of hunting, in this area and beyond, including the Highlands?
derrickfarnell
Munro compleatist

Re: How best to avoid being shot on a hike?

Postby Old Stag » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Grouse season starts in August I think.
Old Stag

Postby Coop » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:55 pm

Dont dress like a deer or wear a chicken suit is probably the answer to your post.

But there is a good way to avoid being shot
Check on the link below and you should be ok.
Or phone the estate.
Or some have notice boards with the timings and days they are shooting and alternative hills or routes to go on or steer clear of

https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/heading-scottish-hills.

Enjoy and maybe go with an alternative route or plan B during the stalking seasons. ( play the game with the estates and they're normally ok)
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby davekeiller » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:41 pm

As a general rule, estates will put up notices warning you when there's shooting going on, and if you follow the advice given you'll be fine.
If in doubt, walk in "obvious" places where they expect walkers to be, like the main paths. Wearing visible colours like red might be helpful, too.
Also, the hillphones scheme (easily found via google) gives a point of contact to find information on stalking from the walker-friendly estates.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:47 pm

I'm sure I have recounted this tale on here before but here goes again anyway...….

A few years back I had a school DofE group out on a day training walk in the Obney Hills near Dunkeld in September. Let's just say that they were a "special" group, not to be let out along with the "mainstream" or without rigorous risk assessments and controls in place. Possibly even cancellation of all police leave. Anyway, late in the afternoon as we headed back to the minibus we encountered a group of beaters and shooters on the hillside on the opposite side of a small glen. One of our lads was actively asking to be shot at, to the point of dropping his drawers and mooning at the shooters while shouting "shoot at this then you mother f***ers!" I prayed hard for one of them to take him up on his offer, but alas, my prayers went unanswered. I think that was the day I finally accepted that there is no God! :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:41 am

In the fifties, as a couple of townie 17 year olds from Nuneaton, husband and friend came hosteling in Scotland and on a moor heard the crack of guns and dived behind a rock. Then they saw a line of men approaching them with sticks beating the ground and thought they were there to flush them out. He has been rather nervous of encountering such situations ever since, even though he can now work out what is happening.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:05 am

Graeme D wrote:I'm sure I have recounted this tale on here before but here goes again anyway...….

A few years back I had a school DofE group out on a day training walk in the Obney Hills near Dunkeld in September. Let's just say that they were a "special" group, not to be let out along with the "mainstream" or without rigorous risk assessments and controls in place. Possibly even cancellation of all police leave. Anyway, late in the afternoon as we headed back to the minibus we encountered a group of beaters and shooters on the hillside on the opposite side of a small glen. One of our lads was actively asking to be shot at, to the point of dropping his drawers and mooning at the shooters while shouting "shoot at this then you mother f***ers!" I prayed hard for one of them to take him up on his offer, but alas, my prayers went unanswered. I think that was the day I finally accepted that there is no God! :(

I blame the teachers.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Pastychomper » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:11 am

Graeme D wrote:... One of our lads was actively asking to be shot at, to the point of dropping his drawers and mooning at the shooters while shouting "shoot at this then you mother f***ers!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There are very few situations in which I'd support the reintroduction of the cane, but I believe you have just described one.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:31 am

Wear camouflage, a flak jacket, a steel helmet and make sure you are heavily armed with more powerful weapons than your enemy. Best of all, sail a ship of the line with forty guns aside, give 'em a broadside as you pass then turn on a ha'penny and give 'em a broadside again! Cold British steel ! They do not like it up 'em sir! They do not like it up 'em! :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Moriarty » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am

It's the responsibility of individuals discharging firearms to take appropriate steps to ensure safety.

Estate employees are professionals and clients paying to shoot things for fun are supervised by professionals.

There will be signs, warnings and the very high likelihood that they'll spot you long before you see them.

I can't remember any news stories of walkers being injured by firearms.
Moriarty

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:19 pm

I think it helps to educate oneself in what actually happens on a shooting estate. For instance, the big differences between what happen in a grouse shoot and what happens when deerstalking.
ChrisButch

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Moriarty wrote:It's the responsibility of individuals discharging firearms to take appropriate steps to ensure safety.

Estate employees are professionals and clients paying to shoot things for fun are supervised by professionals.

There will be signs, warnings and the very high likelihood that they'll spot you long before you see them.

I can't remember any news stories of walkers being injured by firearms.

That's because their bodies are never found... I've been out in the hills and suddenly heard a gun discharge very close; they should not shoot in misty conditions for fear of hitting some unseen person in the mist, but that does not mean they wont.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Moriarty » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:That's because their bodies are never found...

Makes you wonder why comedians go to the bother of coming up with new material....when trotting out the same 2 jokes ad infinitum works so incredibly well. :wink:

Caberfeidh wrote:I've been out in the hills and suddenly heard a gun discharge very close; they should not shoot in misty conditions for fear of hitting some unseen person in the mist, but that does not mean they wont.

Indeed, nothing is guaranteed in life, it's entirely possible to be mowed down crossing a pedestrian crossing on green man if the methadone-fuelled driver texting on their phone is cruising along at 40mph in the 20mph zone....you just need to keep your wits about you and your fingers crossed.

In terms of the OP's question though, I suspect you'd have to work hard to get shot on a hike in Scotland...or be very unlucky.
Moriarty

Postby CharlesT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22 pm

You are very unlikely to be shot on a grouse shoot, season 12 August to 10 December for info. The effective range of a shotgun is 30 to 40 yards and you are likely to be seen long before you get that close.

Stalking season is Stag Jul 1 – Oct 20, Hind Oct 21 – Feb 15. Stalking is professionally conducted and no-one shoots where they can't see, besides they want the beast and not you. Check the estate plans where you intend to walk, follow the advice given and stay away from the corries.

As others have said you are far more likely to be killed on the highway than the hill. Just be aware and sensible.
Last edited by CharlesT on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:23 pm

hiking through woodland in France? the chances are very high as every second person you meet is carrying some kind of rifle - avoid France
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion