walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

GPS Routepoints on WH

GPS Routepoints on WH

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Last Sunday I was on Braeriach, I walked in from the Sugar Bowl and through the Chalmain Gap into the LG
I used the Routepoints from WH on my Garmin 64 GPS for the Braeriach Traverse but only did Braeriach, however the Routepoints were missing from the Sugat Bowl carpark to Braeriach. The Routepoints only started or if you like ended at Braeriach summit (I had map and compass )
Any idea why this was please Paul or Helen
GLW
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: GPS Routepoints on WH

Postby gaffr » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:55 am

Maybe the robot that does these waypoints had an off-day.
The only time that had look at these....as I recall it was for a route to Sgurr Mor....there were hundreds of them. Much much.easier to construct you own fewer waypoints.:-)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:38 am

Hi there, sorry to hear that. The Cairn Toul - Braeriach traverse on WH heads through the Chalamain Gap, then the Lairig Ghru first, over Cairn Toul to Braeriach, then back through the CG gap. All the route points are in the file that is on the site.

I've had a look and the summit of Braeriach is the 250th route point (there are 342 in the full file). Could it be that you have a GPS that only saves a maximum of 250 points in a route - and it has simply dropped the last part? That might explain why you haven't found the same thing on other (shorter) routes.

I'd hope that you GPS or software displayed some sort of warning if you were putting a route on it and it could hold the whole thing, but it doesn't sound like it. I know some mapping software will split the route into several separate bits if your GPS has a limit. Another alternative is that some software will/can simplify routes into fewer points (which makes them less accurate).

Can you let us know what GPS you use, and how you put the route onto it - using certain software? We may be able to a warning about longer routes in the GPX download page.

Looked like you had a great day from your pics, it's possibly my favourite mountain.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks for the reply Paul, I use a Garmin 64 GPS,not really sure what software I use to load the route onto my GPS I'm a real technafobe when it comes to that stuff, all I do know is I save the route to my desktop, then drag and drop.
My GPS does not give me any warning saying all points are not loaded, I've looked at most other routes you provide for the Munro's and Braeriach seems to be the only one that comes up short.

PS, yep an amazing day thanks
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Sorry this has taken so long, but now removed the warning and I've replotted all the routes with over 250 points to come in just inside 250. This should prevent any Garmin's from truncating the routes. Thanks for raising :clap:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Sorry this has taken so long, but now removed the warning and I've replotted all the routes with over 250 points to come in just inside 250. This should prevent any Garmin's from truncating the routes. Thanks for raising :clap:

No need for thanks, it should be the other way round for the amazing service you and Helen provide

GLW
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion