walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Anything ever go bump in the night on your bothy trips?

Re: Anything ever go bump in the night on your bothy trips?

Postby walk aboot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:08 pm

:lol: :thumbup:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:51 pm

Nearly soiled my longjohns... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby walk aboot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 pm

:shock: :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby RobinT99 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:10 am

During 6th form at school, years ago, I decided on a project to study glacial features along with school mate Roger. We were based in Aviemore with other mates. In retrospect, it was not the best of ideas to do the project in late April-early May. The day broke and we took off to Loch Morlich. We eventually got a ride and started our hike up to the Lairig Ghru to look at the U-shaped valley, hanging valleys, corrie lochs etc. We hiked the six miles to the pass which was getting deeper in snow up to our hips and then a blizzard descended upon us with a gale force north wind. Decision time. As we were at the top either go back or head down to the Corrour bothy which we could just see 3 miles away. We decided on the latter hoping the storm would pass. But no it got worse. Over 4 inches of snow when we finally got to the bothy. The blizzard continued into the evening and we laid out our sleeping bags on heather, which we took from a pile in the corner, and put on the then dirt floor, with our heads towards the fireplace. We did not light a fire. As the night fell I could see snow blowing horizontal through the small window and was trying to think if we should head back or try for the Mar Lodge with the wind behind us. I started falling asleep and I suddenly felt like hands around my neck. I forced myself awake and thought perhaps a dream. I dozed off again and this time weight was on my body and hands around my neck. I lashed out and hit Roger to my left, woke him up and eventually went back to sleep with my hair standing on end. The following morning we awoke to storm having gone and 8 inches of snow. We ate and at 8:30 am decided to head back as we did not have the equipment to hike the mountains in snow. Luckily the snow had frozen and we skipped across it quite easily to Loch Morlich, just as a blizzard started again. Eventually got a ride to Aviemore at 1:30 pm. Went into the room and found all our mates asleep. They said, why are you waking us at 8:30? I said, it is 1:30 pm. It was actually 8:30 am. Both our watches had gone back and we had actually got up and taken off around 5:30 am. If we had started later we would have been hiking in the face of a blizzard and perhaps soft snow.?!?!?!
RobinT99
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:53 pm

????
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Heard a long series of bumps in the night accompanied by groans......then a sort of scream
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby mynthdd2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:27 pm

...and some moans.....

(OK I have made my infantile contribution to this one)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby rgallie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:06 am

The night before going up Maol Cheann-Dearg my pal and I stopped off at the Coire Fionnaraic bothy. It had been cold, misty and with the odd snow flurry. After crossing the bridge before the bothy I remember a feeling of being followed and a presence passing me by eventually, something passing with great urgency and no care for me thankfully. When I got to the bothy I searched every room having heard a strange creaking. Nothing! (As I am sure you expected). That night I pulled out a bottle of Whisky and made regular trips to the nearby river to top up water. A silhouette stood ahead of me in the middle of the water, panicked but curious I drunkenly stumbled forward and reached out to it, it reached back :shock: .With a crash and a splash I fell through this eerie figure, My right arm stretched up in the air clutching the unfinished whisky bottle upright. I pulled myself up, running, stumbling, tumbling back to the bothy. The bothy filled with smoke, my friend in a fit of coughing a red eyed. A strange sound piercing our ears through the air, forcing us back outside. Back in we go and wide awake, not daring to shut our eyes. The next thing I knew it was morning, we set of for the hill rather unsettled all day.

Well that's the version I like to tell. Much better than the version that goes...I’m the worlds slowest walker and people that left 20min after me overtook me. My knee was a little stiff and noisy form the arthritis. Had a wee nosy round a bothy. Drank too much, got a bit wet in the river (stayed on my feet) , went back to the bothy where my mate had accidently closed the back of the fire and set of the carbon monoxide alarm leaving us with red raw streaming eyes, then stayed up way to late finishing the drams. Woke up rough, swore never to drink before a walk again then spent the day bickering on the hill with my mate as we were both hung over.
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Blairjsw » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:37 am

mountainstar wrote:
fedupofuserids wrote:Is this a cunning plan by mountainstar to put people off staying in bothies so he can have them all to himself ? :lol:

Damn! :evil:

(16.08.21)

I stayed in Tarf Bothy last August for the second time in some years with the three friends, we stayed in the cabin at one of the ends of the building, we arrived in the evening with the place completely to ourselves, the fire was made and we sat around eating, drinking and having a blether as you do. I dosed off first down the far end of the room whilst the other three sat round the fire quietly. Around 11:30 I was awoken to what sounded like a huge rock being hurled at the side of the cabin and the three lads turned and looked at me thinking perhaps I’d done something but it hadn’t come from my direction or from inside the room. We all jumped up stuck head torches on and went outside to investigate and found nothing and no one, very odd indeed.

Certainly seems to be something with rocks being thrown at Tarf Hotel…
Blairjsw
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Chris Henshall » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:44 pm

I had a difficult evening in Balaneasie in Glen Tilt some years ago; see photo below.
dog-soldiers-werewolf.jpg
Balaneasie in Glen Tilt
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:07 pm

Sunset tripper

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion