walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Anything ever go bump in the night on your bothy trips?

Re: Anything ever go bump in the night on your bothy trips?

Postby fedupofuserids » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:24 am

Is this a cunning plan by mountainstar to put people off staying in bothies so he can have them all to himself ? :lol:
fedupofuserids

Postby magicdin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Spent plenty of nights in bothies - a lot on my own - but have never had a ghostly experience
Not really a bothy story - I once slept at Inverchorachan Cottage in Glen Fyne
Not in the locked cottage of course but in the wee open lean to at the gable end
Only real disturbence was the mice constantly running back and forward over the top of my sleeping bag
At least I think they were mice :(
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 pm

the only thing that went "bump" in the night when I last stayed in a bothy was me, er, falling off of the raised sleeping area mid sleep after a few too many whiskies! :shock:

Bloody sore too!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby mountainstar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

fedupofuserids wrote:Is this a cunning plan by mountainstar to put people off staying in bothies so he can have them all to himself ? :lol:

Damn! :evil:
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Tradoch » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Back in the eighties the Camasunary bothy had a pet rat the size of a small dog. :D
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Munros:23   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:43 pm

I seem to recall you going "bump" in the night a few times in the Tarf Hotel WA! Mostly as in "bump into the furniture". :lol: Could it have been some sort of reaction to something you'd drunk? :?
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby walk aboot » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:59 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:I seem to recall you going "bump" in the night a few times in the Tarf Hotel WA! Mostly as in "bump into the furniture". :lol: Could it have been some sort of reaction to something you'd drunk? :?

:oops: [hiccup] :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby walk aboot » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:01 pm

I found this when I was googling...

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/8077/

The walkers on this forum must be more easily spooked than us, they've got seven pages of ghostly tales :shock: .

My favourite hill still to do is Ben Macdui, then I can see ptarmigans and a yeti in the same day :D
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby sloosh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:41 pm

walk aboot wrote:My favourite hill still to do is Ben Macdui, then I can see ptarmigans and a yeti in the same day :D

I found Ben MacDui to be a spooky place, wrapped as it was in thick hill fog when I did it. Those overwhelming feelings of dread at the summit trig point just seemed to grab hold of me and I couldn't wait to leave and couldn't leave fast enough.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mountain coward » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:03 am

I think the Fearlas Mor was on holiday each time I've been to MacDui as I've never felt a thing and I'm normally very susceptible to things like that. On the other hand, if he really is a live yeti-type creature, that wouldn't have any effect on my senses - only supernatural stuff does that...
mountain coward

Postby mountain coward » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:37 am

Found this in Yahoo news - roughly the same subject... looks interesting:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20101230/tod-colombia-undertaker-launches-ghostly-7f81b96.html
mountain coward

Postby Michelle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Not a bothy story, but when I was a teenager my granny lived in a neat old house complete with a secret passageway- the place was fascinating by day, but terrifying under the shadows of night. One time, in the middle of the night, all of the taps in the bathrooms & kitchen suddenly turned on at once, full force. My sister & I had been awake and we went out to investigate, but by the time we crept cautiously to the bathroom, they had all gone off again. The sinks were all wet, they definitely HAD been running.
I took my pillow into the secret passage and hid there 'til daylight! :lol:
Next day it was chalked up to old/faulty plumbing...
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby mountain coward » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeah right to the old faulty plumbing! :lol: Didn't you find the secret passageway more scary than your room? I've had a lot of funny experiences in my parents' house until I left to join the Army (not why I left, honest :lol: ). Evil presences at the foot of the stairs, lights following me around etc. They can be really unnerving can't they? I don't mind them if it's not somewhere I have to live but to have that kind of thing full-time doesn't really appeal.
mountain coward

Postby Hendos van » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:37 pm

When my brothers and I where young, we used to holiday at North Berwick. We stayed in an old house that was built above stables. One night my Mum and Dad went out for a drink, and left the Three of us alone tucked up in bed, my parents had left the hall lights on, my older brother ordered me to turn them of, when I opened the bedroom door to visit the hall, an old woman with a shawl walked along the length of the hall. I dived back into the bedroom and told my brothers that the landlady caught me out of bed, and that we would get into trouble with our parents for mucking about. It wasn't until we got home, that I mentioned the old lady to my mum, she just said it must have been my imagination, there was no lanlady. Years later, my Dad let slip that other people had seen odd things in that house too.
Hendos van
Munro compleatist

Munros:261   Corbetts:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrr, and one time when I was dossing at Bob Scott's, the Flying Dutchman sailed up the Lui burn ! On a drunken stagger back to Glen Derry from Baemar one night I was disconcerted to the point of sobriety when I found myself surrounded by pairs of glowing green eyes in the darkness. Luckily it was not a crowd of vampires, nor a Dog-Soldiers style pack of werewolves, merely deer thinking I was there to feed them.
Mice in the walls make a racket and can creep you out if you don't know what it is.I've spent many nights in bothies on my own, and never had a spooky experience. A walk up Glen Lui had me scared witless due to the sudden "WooOOoo" sounds behind me.I turned and could see in the moonlight that there was no-one there.This kept up all along the path until I was truly shaking in my boots.As I grabbed my ice-axes off my rucksack to hold as weapons (more of a psychological prop than anything) I noticed the noise stopped.It had been the wind blowing across the hollow tubes of the axe handles, like someone blowing across the top of a bottle. Geez, did I feel daft... :?
Eldritch Celtic Cross.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion